Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco lens calculator

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGSPCS

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Barco lens calculator Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Greetings!

I have a really silly and hopefully simple question about the Barco lens calculator program. When I make the calculation, is the “correction” value the distance above or below the top of the screen(in ceiling mount). After so many years of having my projectors sit on a rigged up table... I finally have a dedicated room the projector will live, thus going on the ceiling.
I recently got a 909, as an upgrade from the 1200x. 😃

Hulio

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. If the text message is in red and says "Watch out, you have a negative correction value", it means (for ceiling mounted projector) the top of the screen is lower than the mounting points.
BGSPCS

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! That is the case with my calculations for a 909 with HFQ900 lenses on a 110” 16:9 screen. It shows that message and a value of -8.8 for the correction value.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ignore the calculator. The best height to install is exactly half way up the screen regardless of floor ceiling mount as it completely eliminates any trapezoid picture on the tube faces - it'll instead be completely rectangular which allows you to maximizes tube usage which in turn maximizes light output and wears the tubes slower.

Of course, nobody installs exactly half way up the screen. So if you're ceiling mounting, install as low as you can manage without having people hit their heads or block views. The good news is that it's typically right over the seating area so no bumped heads as you can't walk through the seats.

For best throw distance, use the method here: http://www.curtpalme.com/TubeCondition_PoorInstall.shtm

The above is true for any CRT projector. Not just your model or Barco.

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or to add to what Kal said, half way up the screen. You can put it on a cart that shoots over your head when seated.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
BGSPCS

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably hang it lower, than the calculator says. It'll be interesting as my room has a 10' ceiling or so, and will hang from strut and 1/2" threaded rod. I can't put it on a cart as there isn't quite enough room in this room. Right now the projector will end up sitting nearly against the back wall to fill the 110" screen. So that will be interesting. I have the projector setup on a table to run through it before I put it on the ceiling. Thank's for the tips!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
BGSPCS

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! As things progress I’ll post photos. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: