Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

RGB SPECTRUM MODEL DTQ DOUBLER TRIPLER QUADRUPLER

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ameltvedt

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: RGB SPECTRUM MODEL DTQ DOUBLER TRIPLER QUADRUPLER Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anybody used one of these on a Marquee Ultra? Can I replace my DVDO I-scan doubler with this and go quad?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though these are given away for nearly free, save your money. You’re talking about a 20+ year old analog only scaler. If You’re looking for a really bare bones scaler like this you’re better off using the 100% digital scaler built into a DVD/Blu-ray player or a gaming machine.

If you want something with ultimate control, the only scaler to consider today is the Radiance series: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can still remember getting into Faroudja required a 2nd mortgage. How tech has changed.
ameltvedt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, actually having assembled my theater back in 2000, none of my input components have HDMI. The DVD player, channel master, roku, and DVDO I-scan are all S-video, which is why that DTQ caught my attention.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ameltvedt wrote:
Thanks, actually having assembled my theater back in 2000, none of my input components have HDMI. The DVD player, channel master, roku, and DVDO I-scan are all S-video, which is why that DTQ caught my attention.

A scaler will do nothing to improve the image quality. It will still be S-Video 480i low quality resolution.
A scaler doesn't give you any added detail. It only fills in gaps between the lines to make low-resolution look less chunky. Especially S-Video as that's about as low-rez as you can get (besides composite). More info: http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTPrimer_17.shtm

Your biggest upgrade will be to actually feed the projector an HD (1080p) signal. Get one of these HDMI cards: http://www.curtpalme.com/VIM-FULLHD.shtm

Then hook up any Blu-ray player or any other HD box, Netflix or whatever, and feed that Marquee Ultra a true 1080p HD signal. HD sources are less than $50 these days. Everything is HD. The difference will be shocking. 6x the resolution. Especially true given that you're currently using only S-video! You're barely scratching the surface of what your Marquee Ultra is capable of doing.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: