Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G90 H-width POT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
you should be able to go up to, but not over, the sides of the tubes. With too many cases of tubes imploding on g90s, particularly the greens, I'd definitely be more conservative for sure.

BTW, I got an email from Greg Eisemann yesterday, looking for new tubes. He was one of the last people bringing in the new tubes from either Japan or China, but now he says he's had some QC issues. I didn't ask for details, but tubes may be scarce going forward. Maybe I shouldn't have turfed those 100s I did a couple of weeks ago. Smile

Still, after 4 years of consistent running of my stacked 909s, there's no tube wear on mine that I can see, other than the tiny bit that was there to start with..
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubes, as far as tubes go, why not use 10PG tubes in these other PJ's? The neck diameter is the same, so all the hardware will fit. As far as pin out, it's might be fairly close.

Yeah, I plan on leaving a margin between the edge of the tube and the image.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
I found this post with a search:

"As far as horizontal goes, you can set the magnetics on the horizontal deflection board once you have the projector in its proper mounting location. If you take the decorative cover off the G90 you'll notice three holes in the cover of the horizontal deflection board. You do not even need to open the case!

Set the horizontal amplitude to neutral 128 on all there tubes in the service menu.

Align the three tubes mechanically, such that their outer edges are equidistant from the screen edges on the horizontal while the image is centered in the tube face horizontally.

Put up a cross hatch pattern from an external source.

Use an Allen wrench that fits the magnets behind the three holes and adjust this such that all thee tubes have the correct width at 128 +/-5 for the horizontal amplitude.

You may need to iterate a little bit because of the magnetic change due to the Allen wrench.

This will mitigate any need to push the horizontal amplitude much in either direction.

craigr"

It sounds like these are the individual H-width pots for each color. And what craigr was describing was adjusting the H-width for each color as to have uniform settings, as what the number would be displayed on the screen.

Yes, I wrote that and it is correct.

You don't even have to open up the G90 to make the adjustment, just remove the decorative grey cover. You will see three holes in the cover over the horizontal deflection board. You guessed it, the three holes are the magnetic adjustments... the center one is green.

What I sometimes do is set all my h-width adjustments to 128 and then adjust the magnets such that a real world test pattern at 1080p 60Hz properly fills the screen. horizontally and such that all three colors match. You may need to use the centering for each color to get it right.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
Could the H-width setting on this particular G90 be set too low? What is the factory setting? Do G90's allow you to run the H-width up to or even past the edge of the phosphor?

You should be able to get much wider than the phosphor on the tube face with the adjustments in the menus.

To center (or off center) your image on the G90; turn contrast down to about 5 and brightness to 100. Look into the tube face with an overscan test pattern. Use the "SHIFT" button to move the image inside the raster. I recommend off-centering more to the bottom right as seen on the screen. This will dramatically reduce raster ringing on the left side of the screen and also reduce bending at the top. Don't go too far though as you will start to compress the right and bottom edges.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I went ahead and marked the(original) position of the H-width pot, then adjusted it, to get the width I wanted. With my setup, the image is about a eighth of a inch from the edge of the phosphor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: