Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G90 H-width POT?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: G90 H-width POT? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
On my 10PG there was a POT on the deflection board that was marked "H-width". I took a quick look at the deflection board on the G90 and did not see a POT to adjust the horizontal width. I assume there is one for service adjustment. Does anyone know where the POT might be and how it is labeled?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is, at least I've never needed one. IF you have the test patterns filling and overshooting the tubes at max width,then use the RGB width control on the keypad if your input signal isn't filling the screen.
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Please have a close look at the Installation Manual. Raster Size and other geometry adjustments are to be done for each color using the Registration Menus (Installation Manual, Page 93). No trimpots (and there are a few) should be touched anywhere inside the PJ unless required after repair or board exchange (e.g. voltage adjustments after GA board repair/exchange).
Please take Your time getting familiar with all of the zillion options that this beast offers. I do have the impression that You're looking for shortcuts and might get disappointed if success doesn't happen fast enough. This approach isn't recommendable for this highly complex gear and could turn it into a boat anchor easily...

Kind Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maxed out the H-width with the "size" control on the remote and the internal test pattern was still 3/8" from the right and left edge of the face of the tube. I will take a look to see if I can find some other control that will expand the width farther.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the raster on the tube face (low contrast and brightness). How close is it to the edge of the tube. You might be at max adjustment.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the install manual and I did not see additional H-width size adjustments.

Is there a service manual out there?

Does a correctly set up G90, let you run the image to or past the phosphor edge, with controls on the remote?
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not checked the raster yet. Remind me on how to see the raster, it's been years since I set up my 10PG. Turn up the contrast or brightness?
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this post with a search:

"As far as horizontal goes, you can set the magnetics on the horizontal deflection board once you have the projector in its proper mounting location. If you take the decorative cover off the G90 you'll notice three holes in the cover of the horizontal deflection board. You do not even need to open the case!

Set the horizontal amplitude to neutral 128 on all there tubes in the service menu.

Align the three tubes mechanically, such that their outer edges are equidistant from the screen edges on the horizontal while the image is centered in the tube face horizontally.

Put up a cross hatch pattern from an external source.

Use an Allen wrench that fits the magnets behind the three holes and adjust this such that all thee tubes have the correct width at 128 +/-5 for the horizontal amplitude.

You may need to iterate a little bit because of the magnetic change due to the Allen wrench.

This will mitigate any need to push the horizontal amplitude much in either direction.

craigr"

It sounds like these are the individual H-width pots for each color. And what craigr was describing was adjusting the H-width for each color as to have uniform settings, as what the number would be displayed on the screen.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
I have not checked the raster yet. Remind me on how to see the raster, it's been years since I set up my 10PG. Turn up the contrast or brightness?

No turn both down until barely visible so you can safely look directly into the tube faces.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I need to put up a image (all white screen) and then turn the contrast and brightness down.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a input needed to see the raster? Right now I see no raster with internal images.
tfuller

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the manuals are available here:
http://www.curtpalme.com/SonyG90_Downloads.shtm

The install manual is very explicit on what you should be doing to set up your projector. Please read through it and make sure you understand the steps before trying to get ad-hoc advice on adjustments out of context. The G90 is a very sophisticated digital unit that is quite different in setup, and as others have stated, you should not have to adjust any pots in a normal configuration. Being able to successfully configure this projector hinges upon your ability to follow directions in the manner given in the manual. If you need help with specific steps, I'm sure there are a few people who can help.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, don't need the ability to turn the G2 up to see the raster? The G90 does not have a function to control the G2 manually.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
I maxed out the H-width with the "size" control on the remote and the internal test pattern was still 3/8" from the right and left edge of the face of the tube. I will take a look to see if I can find some other control that will expand the width farther.
You have to setup each tubes "registration" commonly referred to as the "raster" on other machines, from the extended setup menu. Size on the remote only adjusts the image within the limits set on the raster during registration.
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, I have not seen a "extended" setup menu, where is it.

What I did was enter the "expert/service" set up menu doing this. Press: Enter, Enter, up, down and Enter. Here, I set each color to MAX on the Course and Fine adjustments for each color individually. This only gets each color to within 3/8" of the edge of the phosphor. I also Checked RGB size and it was at MAX.

I found the Sony G90 "Factory Service" manual and the procedure for setting H-width after replacing the Defection coil or the deflection board. There is a easily accessible H-width POT on the deflection board. Right now I suspect that that is how I'm going to have to get the H-width to the edges of the tubes. That is the way I set it on my 10PG, I just turned up the H-width POT. I don't see how there could be any difference, in the end, the H-width will be where I want it, close to the edge of the phosphor/tube.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:
I stand corrected. Sad Service Menu is correct. Some G-70 also have an extended menu option, I'm not sure about G-90.

Anyway I'm surprised you can't get the raster to the tube edge. One thing to check is Blanking. You may need to open that up to get the raster/pattern to the edge. Don't forget to set it back or adjust it after you're done converging.

deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blanking is disabled when in the Service Menu. So I guessed that blanking was not a factor, but I will make sure that blanking is minimized in the user menu.
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your H-Size and V-size at 255 and still not to the edge?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deronmoped wrote:

What I did was enter the "expert/service" set up menu doing this. Press: Enter, Enter, up, down and Enter. Here, I set each color to MAX on the Course and Fine adjustments for each color individually. This only gets each color to within 3/8" of the edge of the phosphor. I also Checked RGB size and it was at MAX.

I found the Sony G90 "Factory Service" manual and the procedure for setting H-width after replacing the Defection coil or the deflection board. There is a easily accessible H-width POT on the deflection board. Right now I suspect that that is how I'm going to have to get the H-width to the edges of the tubes. That is the way I set it on my 10PG, I just turned up the H-width POT. I don't see how there could be any difference, in the end, the H-width will be where I want it, close to the edge of the phosphor/tube.

that's really weird, I've NEVER had to do that with any Sony. Keep in mind too that Sony tubes are known to crack in the G90s, especially the green. I wouldn't shoot right to the edge of the Sony tubes despite what you've done with other sets. I've never had a 10PG tube crack, or a 9500 Marquee. I've seen one Barco 1209s tube crack, and about 10 Sonys. If you run that close to the edge you're playing with fire!
deronmoped

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the H-width setting on this particular G90 be set too low? What is the factory setting? Do G90's allow you to run the H-width up to or even past the edge of the phosphor?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: