Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Retro gaming & high refresh rate - rare Barco model?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nortica

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Retro gaming & high refresh rate - rare Barco model? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,
I'm completely new to CRT projection, and I'm contemplating taking a dip into the subject mostly for retro gaming purposes. I'm thinking of DOS/Win98 gaming in particular here, so anything that is able to provide a refresh rate beyond 60hz holds special interest to me.
I've come across a datasheet online of a "Barco Cine 8 digital", also listed as "CineVersum Cine 8 digital", but I'm not quite sure how I am supposed to interpret the information. It mentions a vertical scan frequency range from 37-240hz... (see pdf attachment, page 2)

Surely I'm reading this wrong, as I'm assuming that this projector supports a refresh rate of 240hz?? But if so, at what resolution would I be able to achieve that?
Also, is refresh rate freely adjustable with CRT projectors, or am I always going to be limited to some fixed presets that I have to choose from?

And coming back again to this particular "Barco Cine 8 digital". Is this a rare model? I haven't found any listings for the one that's being referenced in the datasheet, but I have come across a unit that looks exactly like it from outside, but it is called "Barco Cine 8 Blackrange". (i attached a pic of the label)

I wasn't able to find any information, no datasheet, or whatsoever for this "Blackrange" model online, so my question: are these two the same?
At least judging from the looks of it, it shouldn't be the same as the "Cine 8 Onyx", which is another black cabinet model that I found when browsing online.

Thanks!

barco-blackrange.jpg
 Description:
Barco Cine 8 Blackrange label
 Filesize:  40.72 KB
 Viewed:  14082 Time(s)

barco-blackrange.jpg

barcocine8digital.pdf
 Description:
Barco / Cineversum Cine 8 digital datasheet

Download
 Filename:  barcocine8digital.pdf
 Filesize:  407.33 KB
 Downloaded:  338 Time(s)

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be one of the last sets sold by Barco. Is it a rear projection set? I used to own an 808 Retro set for about 10 years. I have no idea what a 'Blackrange' is though. Would love to see a full picture of the set, along with the lens numbers and a pix of the modules.
robin36mac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

It specs really looks like the same as the Barco Graphics 908.
As the Cine9 is a HT version of the 909 (with some limits) , this Cine8 Digital should be a version of the 908. But I have no idea what can be the difference, maybe only fan control ?
https://www.barco.com/services/website/en/ProductSpecSheet/ProductSpecSheetFile?productId=3ddc7b3d-3fbb-41c6-a5f9-8b9f9faf095b

Robin
nortica

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have two more pics to offer. Unfortunately i can't give you much more right now. I've seen this "Blackrange" model in a craigslist equivalent here in Europe, but I haven't contacted the seller yet. I can do so, if you tell me precisly what kind of information it is that I should request from him. I'm still a bit in over my head here with regards to the whole topic. When you say 'modules', do you just mean the tubes?

blackrange2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.42 KB
 Viewed:  14028 Time(s)

blackrange2.jpg

blackrange1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.13 KB
 Viewed:  14028 Time(s)

blackrange1.jpg

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it looks like a barco 908, which has very advanced beam forming features, thereforre it should produce a very sharp picture (for what it is).

When checking a new unit always look at the tube condition without the lenses on the unit (you can find tube wear charts). If the tubes are burnt (worse than 7 on the chart) pass the unit.

As for the other questions, yes the unit seems to capable of 240Hz refresh rate, but this is much like a conventional CRT display, so it can only display what you send to it, it can't convert input resolution to another (apart from the possibility that this particular projector has a built in line doubler, but that is not what you are looking for)

The key parameters of this projector:
max. horizontal scanrate 110kHz
max. refresh rate: 240Hz

So if you want 1024x768 at say 120Hz, then calculate as follows:
number of lines (768) * refresh rate (120) * overhead (1.1) -> 768*120*1.1= 101kHz so the projector can display this because it is less than 110kHz.
Doing the math backwards yield something like 400 lines for 240Hz refresh rate, so it can only display 240Hz at standard PAL resolution 480i.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that a 908 really are 9" tubes with an 808 chassis behind it.

Don't get too wrapped up in specs. The best 909 poorly set up will not look as good as a regular 808 that is expertly set up. A lot has to do with chassis hours and the condition of the tubes.

At this point, most CRT projectors should be given away, unless they are top of the line 9" sets in good working shape. If the chassis hour count on this set is low and there's no wear on the tubes, then it's worth something. The case condition sure looks nice, but check the chassis hour count, and the type of lenses on the set will help too.

FWIW, I had a bunch of 908 split packs here a bunch of years ago. They were LUG tubes with HFQ900 lenses on it. Two went to CRT HT clients, the rest were bought by the Greek Air Force. One local client that has had his now for 6ish or so years is about to upgrade to a 909 split pack, as he wants more focus, which the 909 will give him.
robin36mac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum... I think you meant the opposite :
The 908 is a set of P16LXV with the electronics of the 909 (with 6pole astig, 81 convergence zone and so on)
The Graphics 908 being still 120MHz and the Reality 908 has the same 180MHz as the 909 (they have different CRT socket/video amplifier).

https://www.barco.com/services/website/en/ProductSpecSheet/ProductSpecSheetFile?productId=3ddc7b3d-3fbb-41c6-a5f9-8b9f9faf095b
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/download.php?id=22213
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robin36mac wrote:
The 908 is a set of P16LXV with the electronics of the 909 (with 6pole astig, 81 convergence zone and so on)
The Graphics 908 being still 120MHz and the Reality 908 has the same 180MHz as the 909 (they have different CRT socket/video amplifier).

It may even be the same video amplifier, because not even the 909 is capable of doing the advertised 180MHz, so they lie less actualy Razz, also it makes sense to them to lesser the specs of the cheaper units to make the high end machines more appealing.

robin36mac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added the spare matrix in my message in the meanwhile :
The G908 has the R764271K and the R908 has the R7630275K as the 909 ; so they are supposedly different.

But yes I don't disagree that pratically they are likely not that far in performance as on the paper.
nortica

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:

Doing the math backwards yield something like 400 lines for 240Hz refresh rate, so it can only display 240Hz at standard PAL resolution 480i.

Mhhh, 640x480 DOS gaming on a sweet ~240hz refresh rate, and all of that on an 8' to 10' screen? ...I'm sold!
It would mean that these high end projectors have the fastest refresh of any consumer CRT product in existence, outperforming even the two highest spec'd VGA monitors with Mitsubishi Diamondtron tubes @200hz.

I've contacted the seller asking for more details. I'll update this thread as soon as I get the additional info.
Thanks for the help so far!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robin36mac wrote:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/download.php?id=22213

Crap, you're right, I keep getting them backwards. I had 809s here... Never mind! Very Happy
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nortica wrote:
gjaky wrote:

Mhhh, 640x480 DOS gaming on a sweet ~240hz refresh rate, and all of that on an 8' to 10' screen? ...I'm sold!
It would mean that these high end projectors have the fastest refresh of any consumer CRT product in existence, outperforming even the two highest spec'd VGA monitors with Mitsubishi Diamondtron tubes @200hz.

I've contacted the seller asking for more details. I'll update this thread as soon as I get the additional info.
Thanks for the help so far!

Unfortunately, at 640x480 slightly more than 200Hz is possible only because of the 110kHz scanrate limit, I refered to 480i that is interlaced. But how would you achieve that high scanrate coming out of a DOS PC anyway?

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's my question too. What good does 240Hz refresh do you, if the game program is pumping out 30Hz or whatever of blocky 8-bit graphics? Do you have a PC simulator running at higher-than-"real"-speed so it has higher FPS? I wouldn't worry too much about 240Hz though, you really can't see the difference between 120 and 240.

Obviously I don't get the attraction of the retro PC games, but this seems like major overkill. And you're taking on a major "hobby" to get a CRT like this working well. Most of us did that at one time, but that was when CRT was still a viable hobby. There's almost no support or parts left for these beasties any more, even from Curt. (Who, along with a few diehards on this board, has been darn near the last bastion of CRT repair for at least 10-12 years now...)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this have the same digital convergence as a 909?. Perhaps a pic or two of the convergence tray and control board.

Last edited by km987654 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PC running at 85Hz or 120Hz at 1024x768 could crank out some great gaming from the 1998-2004ish era. Or even 1600x1200 at 100Hz.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
nortica

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:

Unfortunately, at 640x480 slightly more than 200Hz is possible only because of the 110kHz scanrate limit, I refered to 480i that is interlaced. But how would you achieve that high scanrate coming out of a DOS PC anyway?

Hm, i see. Well, the BARCOREALITY 908 should be able to do it though, right? Up to 800x600 240hz even.
Horizontal: 30-180 kHz autolock
Vertical: 37-240 Hz autolock

If I can ever get ahold of such a model, that is.

garyfritz wrote:
Yeah that's my question too. What good does 240Hz refresh do you, if the game program is pumping out 30Hz or whatever of blocky 8-bit graphics? Do you have a PC simulator running at higher-than-"real"-speed so it has higher FPS? I wouldn't worry too much about 240Hz though, you really can't see the difference between 120 and 240.

Obviously I don't get the attraction of the retro PC games, but this seems like major overkill. And you're taking on a major "hobby" to get a CRT like this working well. Most of us did that at one time, but that was when CRT was still a viable hobby. There's almost no support or parts left for these beasties any more, even from Curt. (Who, along with a few diehards on this board, has been darn near the last bastion of CRT repair for at least 10-12 years now...)

I don't know of any games that are limited to 30hz, and 8-bit graphics only if we're talking about mid to late 80s games.
Games like Doom, Quake etc. will scale nicely with newer hardware, so as far as that is concerned you can probably achieve 1k frames. You just use DOS-compatible hardware that's a few years younger than the games you want to play, and that's all you need to achieve that. In the 90s & early 2000s things moved so fast, you basically had a new hardware generation released every 6 months or so, with the same kind of technological advance that you get with today's 2 year cycle.
It certainly is major overkill, no question about it. But that is kind of the point for me in this hobby. I just like to make these old games look as good as they possibly can, better even than I remember them.

There is usually a trade-off with big screen gaming vs. gaming on small monitors, and at least modern projectors are almost all limited to 60hz. So the bigger you go, you usually loose motion clarity (and utilizing frame interpolation isn't ideal for games). I just now found out that this problem doesn't seem to exist with CRT technology. Movement at 240hz does appear more smooth compared to 120hz, at least on an LCD. The mere fact that i could get those sort of numbers on the big screen, and with the natural advantages of CRT at that, has me intrigued. I certainly would like to see 90s space sim games on the big screen, running at 200hz & with the image depth that only a CRT can provide. I was in the market for a home cinema projector anyway, so it would be nice if I can make this work.

=> back to topic:
I did contact the seller, but that turned out to be fruitless. He couldn't really tell me what model it is, just that he assumes it's the same as a standard cine 8, only with a black cabinet. He doesn't have it set up right now, so he can't tell me how much hours are on it, just that it's supposedly "few", which isn't saying much. Same goes for the lenses. Didn't get any more photos out of him. Fail.

I did run some more checks online, and at least going by the part number of the Blackrange (R9010060) it can't be the same as a Barco 908. The BarcoGraphics 908 has part number R9040004, and the BarcoReality has part number R9040006.
The "Blackrange" seems to be some sort of illegitimate child that Barco doesn't want to acknowledge, because even with the part number I can't find anything online, only some obscure japanese auction site where it's been listed in the past.
robin36mac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

We havn't said this was exactly a BarcoGraphics 908, but it is very likely to be almost the same thing inside, fan control may be different. Aa it's the case for the Cine9 and the 909, they are very similar.
The only ones that will take up the 180KHz, and there is also the G90 that can handle 150KHz of horizontal scan rate.

Be aware that these are the very high end, such low resolution of 800x600, you will see the scan lines.
In my opinion it would be better to use a quite higher resolution with a lower refresh rate (1280*1024@160 at minimum, or 1600*1200@140)

Robin
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the unit is rasonably close to you, then it is the best to check out personally, getting off the lenses and having a look inside the chassis is a 30 min. work maximum. Also, you don't need a proper setup to figure out how many hours in it. But the seller should know this as well if he actually used the projector...

I have been playing with custom resolutions on different PC configurations over the years, and I have yet to see one VGA card that supports >150Hz refresh over D-SUB (analog) out. I don't say there can't be but it is better to check...

I did some research regarding the model of this particular unit.
All relevant brochures are available from this site, there are three of them:
1.) Cine range brochure from 1999, the projectors have grey case.
2.) Cine range brochure from 2003, the projectors have black case, the cine 8 here is indeed a regular one (~BG808s with MEC tubes)
3.) Cine 8 digital brochure from 2005, so this is brochure is actualy newer than the actual projector in question.
I think it is unlikely it would be a „digital” model, instead a regular cine 8 with black case.
Regardless this makes no practical difference for the intended use, as the main limiting factor here is the 110kHz scan limit, which appears to be the same on all models.

Where are you located BTW?

Last edited by gjaky on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
nortica

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
If the unit is rasonably close to you, then it is the best to check out personally, getting off the lenses and having a look inside the chassis is a 30 min. work maximum. Also, you don't need a proper setup to figure out how many hours in it. But the seller should know this as well if he actually used the projector...

Hello neighbor Mr. Green
Right next to you, Austria!

It's a three hour drive to where he's at, so he should at least be able to give me an estimate of usage before i bother. Price is at 900 but negotiable. Still, there's another one listed for 250, and if he thinks his one is worth the premium, surely he can give me a reason for it. At the very least I would like to know what model I'm dealing with, but he doesn't seem to have any documentation.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nortica wrote:
gjaky wrote:

Hello neighbor Mr. Green
Right next to you, Austria!

It's a three hour drive to where he's at, so he should at least be able to give me an estimate of usage before i bother. Price is at 900 but negotiable. Still, there's another one listed for 250, and if he thinks his one is worth the premium, surely he can give me a reason for it. At the very least I would like to know what model I'm dealing with, but he doesn't seem to have any documentation.

No 8" CRT projector worth 900€ regardless of condition!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: