Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Fixing the DVI signal from an Atari 8 bit computer, how?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jowi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So far the only thing that works out of the box is an ancient HP LP2465 monitor... that displays the 1280x960 over DVI perfectly. Just connect the atari to the HP with a DVI cable... so there is hardware out there that can cope with this signal. I bought the HP 2nd hand on advice of the developer of the Atari DVI board, but is has over 90.000 hours on it (!) and has probably been running with 100% contrast and 100% brightness all the time... image has brown area's and it takes a few minutes to warm up... not ideal but it does work...

Arcam AVR850 • Pioneer KURO KRP-600M • KEF Reference Model 4/2/200c • Velodyne DD15 • HDI Dune 4K Solo • Squeezebox Radio/Duet • Wyrewizard Dreamcaster & Spellbinder (by Nordost) • JVC D-ILA-X7500 • HdFury Vertex
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nidi wrote:
kal wrote:
Yep - have to say it looks pretty cool! Makes me want to boot up one of my C64s again... Wink

Kal

Kal, check this out,

this is awesome!

http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&catid=9&Itemid=127

Cool!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jowi wrote:
According to the manual: http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/DVDOiScanVP30Manual.pdf (link says vp30 but document is vp50...) section 5 table 2, there is a mention of passthrough, but i can't find that option anywhere in the menu tree...

The vp50 does support 1280x960 as output.

I was just looking at the resolution table on page 8 of the manual. It says SXGA but only at 60Hz which does you no good.

I can't find the pass-through settings either.

I also had a look at the Atlona we use to use to convert 50hz to 60Hz AT-HD560 but it doesn't list 1280x960
Neither does the Atlona DVI550 nor the HD550. Guess there's no way the creator of the Atari DVI board could add 60Hz output? That would be way more compatible with everything.

VP50_RESOLUTION_INPUT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.83 KB
 Viewed:  7780 Time(s)

VP50_RESOLUTION_INPUT.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just on the http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258702-new-development-gtia-in-cpld/page-34#entry3916097

They say there's a 1536x960 50Hz signal coming out of the Sophia. Is that the module you are using?

CRT.

HD done right!
jowi

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is the version of the board i'm using: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274004-sophia-revc-dvi-board/page-1
i've got 2 boards, 1280x960 and a 1280x1024, both at 50Hz, both have the same problems.

Arcam AVR850 • Pioneer KURO KRP-600M • KEF Reference Model 4/2/200c • Velodyne DD15 • HDI Dune 4K Solo • Squeezebox Radio/Duet • Wyrewizard Dreamcaster & Spellbinder (by Nordost) • JVC D-ILA-X7500 • HdFury Vertex
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a scaler that can convert 50 to 60Hz it seems.

CRT.

HD done right!
jowi

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
You need a scaler that can convert 50 to 60Hz it seems.

Maybe i'll just go the easy way and get me a good monitor (probably a NEC multisync) that can handle the signal, and just forget about connecting the Atari to the Pioneer Kuro or JVC projector over HDMI... if i do want to do that, i'll just use the HDMI input on the Dune Pro 4K mediaplayer, that accepts it as well, and route it to the Kuro or JVC that way...

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotta hoops to jump through...it would be nice if the developer could do the conversion on the DVI adaptor. I understand you're working with a PAL signal that's 50Hz to begin with but having 60Hz would make life easier.

CRT.

HD done right!
jowi

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. The developer is a bit stubborn, basically he says if a monitor or tv can't display the signal, there is something wrong with that tv or monitor. Now i know he is limited by the atari's hardware and signals, but i'm 100% sure it can be solved at the dvi board. I think if he could output 576p50 (720x576) it would be fine, or 720p50. There is no need for larger resolutions anyway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: