Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Fixing corroded LC chambers on M9500

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Fixing corroded LC chambers on M9500 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey!

What alternatives are there for painting the chambers? I can't get VHT or any sorta epoxy spray over here, so I'd have to use 2K paint or maybe some sorta silicone. Any preferences?

Thanks!!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have had no luck, I'd replace them. I have still one pair of brand new red and green tubes for cheap if you're interested.
tschaeikaei

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moi,

use matte black paint after thoroughly cleaning the aluminium, the cheapest automotive paint will work. Then fill the tubes with propylene glycol. About 10€/L from ebay or electronic cigarette shops.
I've done this a year ago and still great. No corrosion (had that before) and if nothing corrodes, nothing turns yellow. Optically far better than the monoetylene glycol.

Curt: I'd happily take all your good phosphor tubes with corroded housings Smile

Regards, Julian

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can do, I have a bunch sitting by the dumpster right now. Keep in mind though that it will be about $75 USD per tube to ship, plus the cost of the tube (s).
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you choose to not buy the ones Curt is offering. You could try mat black etching primer. I painted three Barco LC housings about 10 years ago from an 1101 I had at the time I pulled these out of storage recently ready to discard and the glycol has not discoloured much in all that time.
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just had black RTV silicone and smeared it on the aluminum bits Laughing was super nasty, but it's working well so far! Tho I'm having lots of bubbles in the new glycol, I hope they get out eventually.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbles will disappear with thermal cycling (ie using)
I am also ahead of painting a set of chambers, the best paint I could find here was black enamel spray paint for car use, that is outright oil and gasoline resistant. But of course I don't have any actual experience with that yet...

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! And good luck with painting, spray should be wonderful. At least bazillion times better than sticky and fat rtv.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: