Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

VIP 3D theater - No 1080P MVC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EB1000

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: VIP 3D theater - No 1080P MVC? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi

Wanted to get this 3D converter for ny 55 inch Samsung NU8000, that support 1080P @ 120Hz native. I was one step away from placing the order, then I noticed that in the product description it says 720p/120Hz for 3D output. Is this mean that it cannot match the FHD 3D of a true 3D TV? So it takes a 2x1080P@60Hz MVC video signal from a blu ray, and downscales it to 720P? What good is that? Isn't there a model that supports full HD 3D like a real 3D TV?

If that is the case, then I'll have to look for another 3D solution, which is a 3D headset like Cinera.

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You are correct - the output is 720p. Why not 1080p? Cost I would imagine. At the time the processing required was considerably more. That was nearly 10 years ago. Fast forward to today and 3D tvs have already come and gone (they’re no longer being manufactured) so there’s little interest in an upgraded converter as few care about 3D.

(Welcome to the forum!)

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
EB1000

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi!

You are correct - the output is 720p. Why not 1080p? Cost I would imagine. At the time the processing required was considerably more. That was nearly 10 years ago. Fast forward to today and 3D tvs have already come and gone (they’re no longer being manufactured) so there’s little interest in an upgraded converter as few care about 3D.

(Welcome to the forum!)

Kal

Thanks. I thing the exact opposite. With TV manufacturers no longer offering 3D, and there are still 3D enthusiasts and new 3D BD tites being release regularly, there should be a considerable market for such product that can convert any 2D 120Hz TV (most new TVs can handle 1080P @ 120Hz). Too bad...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a small/niche market of 3D enthusiasts, but if you're a 3D enthusiast you would have bought a 3D many years ago when they first came out.

TV manufacturers are no longer offering 3D because customers don't want 3D.

3D Blu-rays coming out are also dwindling. Makes sense are there are less TVs. At the peak it was only 15% of Blu-ray sales anyway. 4K doesn't even include 3D in the standard.

You still see theatrical releases in 3D, but for the home format it never really took off.

To quote wikipedia:

Quote:
The Fall of 3D television

As early as 2013, 3D televisions were being seen as a fad.[87][88] DirecTV had stopped broadcasting 3D programs in 2012, while ESPN stopped in 2013.[89]. In the UK, Sky moved its content to on demand.

Fewer and fewer 3D TVs were sold and soon TV manufactures stopped making them. Vizio stopped production in 2014 and was followed by others.[90] In January 2017, the last two major television manufacturers still producing 3D televisions, Sony and LG, announced they would stop all 3D support.[89][/quote]

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_television#The_Fall_of_3D_television

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I forgot to mention that there was a version of the 3D-Theater that would be 1080p output. Called the 3D-Theater "Plus". A lot more expensive however: http://www.curtpalme.com/3DTheatrePlus.shtm

Discontinued years ago (lack of interest).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: