Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cleaning glycol from pcb

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Cleaning glycol from pcb Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey,
I've got my hands on this 9500 ultra which has leaking green. I do have replacement bellows for it but it has already dripped some glycol on the HVPS. I also have another old 34kv hvps but would love to fix the soaked 34.9kv if possible.

So far cotton buds have been my tool, but if there's any better way, I'd love to know.

Cheers!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wouldn't be the HVPS, putting the board into diswasher would be the way to go.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, i've given the HVPS' daughter board good clean with water, dried carefully and got some interesting results in my old test machine: the red lits up solid but green is very dim and blue flunctuates in brightness. Is this a totally lost cause?
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is hope

Get a pint of Denatured Alcohol and a toothbrush and scrub the boards in the rear of the hvps. Remove the upright board from its' socket and scrub the socket. If the upright board has socketed ICs, pull the ICs out one at a time and clean the sockets and IC legs with alcohol. Scrub the edge connector at the rear of the HVPS, both sides. Scrub the bulkhead connector it mates with. Let everything dry for an hour then try again.

The upright board controls the G2s, and tarnished connectors will give the symptoms you describe. If none of that works I have power supplies I can sell you.
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oof, I did my best scrub with isopropryl, but it ain't any better.
Are the daugher boards cross compatible? I was thinking of trying the old board in the newer hvps. Or maybe I can spec up the older 34kv with parts from the new supply?

Idk, I'm just terrified of getting one of these overseas, and that soon seems to be the next step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: