Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony 1270

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomwhite

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Sony 1270 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi forum, I was messing around with my 1270 recently, it stopped working about a year ago, I checked all the usual stuff and then realized that the remote pick ups are weird. The front pick up dosnt work at all unless I cover up the rear pick up. Any body have any suggestions? Thanks a lot , I really miss my crtpj. Tom
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tom,

What do you mean by remote pickups? Do you mean the IR sensors? If covering one solves problems you likely have some sort of IR interference in the room. Look for the source - it can be lots of things. An article on it: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-could-cause-ir-remote-interference

Good luck!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Tomwhite

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal, thanks for getting back so soon, covering the hole dosnt solve any problems, it still shut down after 3or4 seconds, it's like something is telling it to shut itself off, or maybe one of ir sensors is shorting out
Tomwhite

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal , tom were again, ok I shut off all the lights in the room and the remote seems to be working ok, but the pj still shuts down, the red light on the far left board goes off then comes back on and it shuts down. I fell like Alice in wonderland here.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all IR interference is removed and the projector still shuts down then it's probably something else causing the problems. Curt can assist with this and troubleshoot the faulty board/component. Cheers!

Kal

Tomwhite

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal I'll have to pick his brain, there's a guy selling a marquee 8000 near me, if it's still available I might go that way, I have an optoma 720p machine that I've been using, it's great but just not the same, also I have a Viking reel to reel deck just sitting around wonder if Kurt would be interested, also I have a few Barco splitters and quads from 800 pjs he might want. Don't want to go through another winter without the warm glow of a crtpj in my humble basement theatre. Thanks Tom.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email Curt at curt@curtpalme.com - he'll let you know.

Kal

Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say Tom

Be aware that there are very few tubes available for M8000; nothing manufactured in the last several years. A 9500 has a sharper picture and more tubes are around.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Say Tom

Be aware that there are very few tubes available for M8000; nothing manufactured in the last several years. A 9500 has a sharper picture and more tubes are around.

For what it's worth, most people never end up retubing their projectors. It's a somewhat daunting task and is left to to the techs and the skilled DIY'ers. Given Tom's questions and comments above, I doubt it's something he'd ever consider undertaking (correct me if I'm wrong Tom). Finding someone else to do it for you is next to impossible today unless you're willing to pay for shipping 2 ways to the few people in the world willing to do this.

If he can get a M8000 for a steal from someone local and it has good tubes, nothing wrong with that. He could easily still run it 5-8K hours (or possibly more) and be happy with the pic.

I think the idea of worrying about what chassis you buy based on the current availability of tubes today is somewhat crazy, because when it comes time to retube that thing in 5-10 years, that availability will be completely different anyway. Anyone buying a chassis with toast tubes today wouldn't do so unless they also have a line on new tubes and would buy both at the same time.

For what it's worth there is very little ANYTHING (let alone tubes) available for ANY model CRT projector.

My 2 cents.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM somewhat crazy! LOL

As a technician I consider the repairability of things, and can I fix it myself. A friend of mine is hooked on iPhones. I'm sure it's a lovely device but, watching a YouTube tutorial on battery changes, it's 26 steps and two hours if you're lucky. The battery is underneath circuit boards. Design-wise, how smart was that? On my Galaxy S3 the back pops off and the battery falls out. Twenty seconds or less. My kind of phone.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
I AM somewhat crazy! LOL

As a technician I consider the repairability of things, and can I fix it myself. A friend of mine is hooked on iPhones. I'm sure it's a lovely device but, watching a YouTube tutorial on battery changes, it's 26 steps and two hours if you're lucky. The battery is underneath circuit boards. Design-wise, how smart was that? On my Galaxy S3 the back pops off and the battery falls out. Twenty seconds or less. My kind of phone.

Seeing as the customer will be forced to either shell out the cash for a repair (most likely done by Apple) or buy a new phone, I think it was a good design. Forced obsolescence and all that.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:

How long have you had the phone and how often have you had to replace the battery on your S3?

Kal

Tomwhite

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal and Tim , Tom here, thanks for the info. I figure the m8000 would be a big step up for me I've only ever had pjs with es focusing and limited convergence and picture control. I would still like to try to get my 1270 to work, the crts have very little to 0 wear on them, I got it because a local AV installer didn't want to carry it out of a basement so me and my son did it. I'm going to try and find out about the 8000 this week, i can get it for under $200. As far as changing out a crt I think I could do it as long I didn't have to get involved with the magnetics but I'd rather not. I've been messing around with crtpj since 1991, curt has always been great with helping me with power supply's and trouble shooting on my barcos, I've had 4 of them over the years starting with a vision then an HR and the an 800 data and graphics, I still have the dead graphics 800 sitting in my basement, maybe I can use it as a coffee table or door stop, my wife is always asking me to throw it out and she's right I have to. Hope to back into crt soon but if not I guess I'll just have to get a better digital but I really miss messing around with the crtpj I really enjoyed tinkering with it. Thanks again guys. Tom
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

If you're interested in getting the Sony 1270 up and running, as I mentioned before, email Curt at curt@curtpalme.com. He may have some parts left.

Kal

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomwhite wrote:
Hi Kal and Tim , Tom here, thanks for the info. I figure the m8000 would be a big step up for me I've only ever had pjs with es focusing and limited convergence and picture control. I would still like to try to get my 1270 to work, the crts have very little to 0 wear on them, I got it because a local AV installer didn't want to carry it out of a basement so me and my son did it. I'm going to try and find out about the 8000 this week, i can get it for under $200. As far as changing out a crt I think I could do it as long I didn't have to get involved with the magnetics but I'd rather not. I've been messing around with crtpj since 1991, curt has always been great with helping me with power supply's and trouble shooting on my barcos, I've had 4 of them over the years starting with a vision then an HR and the an 800 data and graphics, I still have the dead graphics 800 sitting in my basement, maybe I can use it as a coffee table or door stop, my wife is always asking me to throw it out and she's right I have to. Hope to back into crt soon but if not I guess I'll just have to get a better digital but I really miss messing around with the crtpj I really enjoyed tinkering with it. Thanks again guys. Tom

What's the issue with the 1270? What's the issue with the 800?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kal"]
Tim in Phoenix wrote:

How long have you had the phone and how often have you had to replace the battery on your S3?

Kal

Five years or so. It's not that the batteries fail, but the run-time is not great, and if I'm out all day I take a couple of spares with me. I get four hours of standby, less if I'm talking or playing music. I was carrying around a big Mophie pack (6000mah) and that will go all day, but the micro-USB port on the phone gets damaged if I bump into things.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 4 hours on standby isn't all that great!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: