Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Getting back into CRT :) Barco 909
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
jask wrote:
I have been creeping this thread and thinking that perhaps.... I should... one more.... last!!.... CRT might be in my future. I don't know how to explain it well - but my subjective experience of CRT is like film... smooth, relaxing and watchable. good digital is really nice, and crisp like a new pair of glasses! but it always leaves me feeling like I have been too close to the speakers at a rock concert.... Wink it has been too long since these discussions were the bread and butter around here but there really is something about CRT that is organically ( intuitively?) immersive.

I won't lie, after about 4 hours of trying to converge this thing, looking at a distorted, blurry (on the corners) picture and trying to figure out mechanical adjustments I thought to myself why am I bothering? I could have just plugged in my JVC and watched tv within 10 minutes. BUT

Once I did have it dialed in the picture took on so much more depth than I have ever gotten with my digital. The dynamic range is better and my blu-rays just pop so much more than they did on the digital set. It really is a much more organic image!

It is hard to believe that for a couple thousand dollars I can get a huge image this good on a set that will easily last me many years. No bulbs to change etc. And it is built so well. I love the modularity of the cases.

The only downside that I can see to the image from this beautiful projector is that the text when it comes up on screen is not as tack sharp as on my digital. I think that is to be expected. I only notice it when going through the menus on my media player and never when I am actually watching a movie. Smile
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAllan wrote:
jask wrote:
I have been creeping this thread and thinking that perhaps.... I should... one more.... last!!.... CRT might be in my future. I don't know how to explain it well - but my subjective experience of CRT is like film... smooth, relaxing and watchable. good digital is really nice, and crisp like a new pair of glasses! but it always leaves me feeling like I have been too close to the speakers at a rock concert.... Wink it has been too long since these discussions were the bread and butter around here but there really is something about CRT that is organically ( intuitively?) immersive.

I won't lie, after about 4 hours of trying to converge this thing, looking at a distorted, blurry (on the corners) picture and trying to figure out mechanical adjustments I thought to myself why am I bothering? I could have just plugged in my JVC and watched tv within 10 minutes. BUT

Once I did have it dialed in the picture took on so much more depth than I have ever gotten with my digital. The dynamic range is better and my blu-rays just pop so much more than they did on the digital set. It really is a much more organic image!

It is hard to believe that for a couple thousand dollars I can get a huge image this good on a set that will easily last me many years. No bulbs to change etc. And it is built so well. I love the modularity of the cases.

The only downside that I can see to the image from this beautiful projector is that the text when it comes up on screen is not as tack sharp as on my digital. I think that is to be expected. I only notice it when going through the menus on my media player and never when I am actually watching a movie. Smile

If you mean the image is sharp but any text in the image is out of focus somewhat then that is a CPC adjustment and focus coil positioning on the tube neck. There is no need for text to be out of focus.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I posted above. All remaining 6 split pack 909s are here. Two are sold, one to my audio programmer, who is getting a Curt built regular 909 with these split pack parts in it. One split pack is going to a client in Seattle that I sold one of the 809 split packs to a few years ago. He wants more sharpness, that the 909 chassis will give him.

That leaves 4 split packs. After testing them, one or two may get swapped into my stacked 909s to see if I can lower the drift. While the stack has been running flawlessly for the last 4 years, I really need to do a ground up setup, and I figure since all of these split packs have virtually identical hours on them, and are late model (2003-2004) chassis, I may as well do the board swap (and some recapping at the same time). I want the stability that Cliff had with his G90s. I'm nowhere close to that, but once they are warmed up, they are pretty solid. My focusing and astig needs work too.

That leaves 2 split packs (plus one or two more with the parts that I have in stock).

I have at least one more 'regular' 909 that I can make up out of the split packs, and possibly a second one, depending on case parts.

I currently have at least 4 people that say they want split packs or regular sets, so they may already be spoken for, but who knows until the funds are in hand.

Right now I may get to testing two split packs next weekend, the 15th. The rest are probably going to end up being tested and/or swapped into the regular 909s some time in October.

Pricing starts at $1500 USD, depending on whether I put in colored C elements, build up a regular 909, etc.
Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your split pack 909, nice to see that your are still in the game and satisfied.

Would be cool to see the same image picture on both, to compare with your RS and the 909 If you have the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: