Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Great Deal On Vizio 120" TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Great Deal On Vizio 120" TV Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
https://www.vizio.com/tvs/rseries/rs120b3.html

I emailed them asking for a discount if I bought two! Very Happy
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vizio is pure garbage. Buyer beware.
jts1957

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The living room furniture will last longer than the TV.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true of any brand
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, your link doesn't work, proving my first point above. Very Happy
larryp

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.vizio.com/tvs/rseries/rs120b3.html

It works when I click the link. The 120" set is $129,999.00 on the Vizio website lol
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

404 error, Page not found here. Post a screen shot

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jts1957

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://imgur.com/a/Gb9c2
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably won't work from Canada.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Vizio is pure garbage. Buyer beware.

Not sure if I agree with this....All brands have their good and bad(cheap). The LED Vsio I have had the last 2 years that is in my mancave for sports has been fantastic. I have not had any problems but I am told this LED unit is easier than others to service if it ever needs it. But then again its a 70 inch that I only paid 1700 for. I got it on clearance for being a floor model at Costco. It was selling for 2,400. I bought a 50 inch Emmerson flat panel for my kids and its been non-stop for 3 years so far and that was a Wal-Mart door buster going for 150. I expected it to break down by now but it has yet to show the signs. Am I getting lucky? Not sure....but Visio is a wide range and not just cheap. They do make some quality units. Have you had any issues with the Visioe701i-3ae models? If so, I would listen for repairs I might need later.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do a search here for the Vizio problems. The one guy bought a new motherboard off ebay for $100, only to have it do the exact same thing 6 weeks after he put the original one in. I recommend Samsung or LG to customers. Not that they will last forever either, everything is built like crap today, but at least I don't see them in usually until they are a few years old. I'd never buy an off name brand like Emerson or any Best Buy house brand.

There's a commercial running on Seattle radio right now for a chain called Video Only, where it's a husband/wife talking and she says something like 'Our TV is about 6 years old, we're long overdue for a new one'. I cringe when I hear that.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the biggest problem with the current range of TVs is either the LCD screens or the LEDs that power them. Both can't be repaired. 60K hours out of the LED? I call BS, when the rest of the set is built to barely last 10K hours.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
BTW, the biggest problem with the current range of TVs is either the LCD screens or the LEDs that power them. Both can't be repaired. 60K hours out of the LED? I call BS, when the rest of the set is built to barely last 10K hours.

So here's the ultimate question though... What is the monetary cost of fixing vs replacing? So what I'm getting at is that while it was easier to repair CRT issues more than it is for LCD tv's, in the end was the amount coming out of the customer's pocket less then for a repair than it is now for a replacement flat panel? CRT tubes themselves were pretty expensive in the day, and are still not cheap depending on what you're after.

Not trying to argue or throw a rebuttal - just curious. Were repairs ultimately cheaper for the customer back in the day?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wholesale problem across the board (to me) has been the demand for lower pricing. I always revert back to cars. You can't buy a Porsche or a Tesla for $10K. You can however buy a Kia for under $10K. You don't expect the same performance from a Kia as you would a Porsche though. Heck, look at the old (yikes!) CRT projectors. Right to the end, VDC thought of them as a $43K USD new projector, they didn't care if you paid $50 on eBay, a HVPS was (and is) $2,200.

For some reason, it's only the consumer electronics industry that is insistent on making no money, but to build crap so that it lasts 3-5 years. This is the norm today. I say go back to the old way: Double, or even triple the pricing of sets, overbuild them so that the expected life is 15-20 years, and make them so they can be repaired. It would:

a) Employ service techs
b) Be good for the environment
c) Possibly bring jobs back to North America
d) slow down this ridiculous "I am 11 years old, and I demand the latest in smartphones' mentality.

I've been on that soap box for years, I posted the same thing on avs at least 15 years ago. Some people agree with me. Most don't care.

YEs, CRT tubes were expensive but I was still buying lots of rebuilt CRT tubes for 20" TVs (my cost was about $100-125), and I was selling a retubed CRT TV for $250. New sets were $600 and up back in 1981. It wasn't until RCA came out with their $299 special (that lasted right past the warranty period usually) that people like Zenith ended up in huge financial trouble, as they couldn't compete. Within a year, Zenith, and almost everyone else started cutting corners, and the new TV warranty dropped from 3 years parts and labour to 1 year. I remember being at a Zenith dealer meeting, admitting they were losing their shirts, but every manufacturer was waiting for that ONE company to drop the warranty from 3 years to 1, and everyone else would follow suit. No one wanted to be the first one to do it though. I think in the end it was RCA that lowered the bar for warranty.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your insight, it's much appreciated. I pretty much agree with everything you posted, and I see the same problems in my industry too (software). Every now and then I feel like I'm fighting the 11 year olds, so to speak, who want to employ the latest framework/platform/programming language just because it's new. No other reason. I've literally had a conversation in which I was talking to someone and they referred to something that was barely a year out from its release as "old". What?!

I think you make a very good point too in the way electronics are built. I cannot count how many LCD televisions I've seen with functional issues. But I have never come across a CRT rear projection TV that wasn't fully functional. Usually, if it needed anything, it was the optics cleaned up and refocused. I haven't even witnessed a rear projection TV have convergence IC issues, though I know it's a matter of time. And these sets - at least the high-definition ones - are nearing 20 years old at this point and still work just fine.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Exactly! I started doing sound work for the gov't exclusively as I hated the 'my second cousin is a DJ, he can do it cheaper, he's a pro' mentality. There's still bad eggs there that go with low bid, but I generally stay away from tenders, and go with design/build systems or service calls. I answer calls really quickly, showed up at a customer's site within 15 minutes of them emailing the other day (I was in the area of course!), and am gaining clients steadily.

I am about to go out of town for a couple of weeks to do a couple of medium sized installations, I'll post links when I'm done to my Sound Solutions website. Both are digital signal processing systems, controlled via Ipad, touch screens and we can access the systems remotely (if their IT guys play nice with us) Smile
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
(if their IT guys play nice with us) Smile

Good luck with that. Wink Remote and access in a single sentence doesn't always produce pleasant reactions. Very Happy
silv55

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Thank you for your insight, it's much appreciated. I pretty much agree with everything you posted, and I see the same problems in my industry too (software). Every now and then I feel like I'm fighting the 11 year olds, so to speak, who want to employ the latest framework/platform/programming language just because it's new. No other reason. I've literally had a conversation in which I was talking to someone and they referred to something that was barely a year out from its release as "old". What?!

I think you make a very good point too in the way electronics are built. I cannot count how many LCD televisions I've seen with functional issues. But I have never come across a CRT rear projection TV that wasn't fully functional. Usually, if it needed anything, it was the optics cleaned up and refocused. I haven't even witnessed a rear projection TV have convergence IC issues, though I know it's a matter of time. And these sets - at least the high-definition ones - are nearing 20 years old at this point and still work just fine.

Alleluia jbltecnicspro; you say; the high-definition ones - are nearing 20 years old at this point and still work just fine.[/quote]

i can vouch for that,i still have a 36'' Sony HS 500 that is on 20 years and it matches up as pic Q concern to any of these new tech,
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: