Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

my marquee9500 doesn't switch it's HV anymore
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: my marquee9500 doesn't switch it's HV anymore Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

I have a question about my marquee. When I was abroad my son (13 years) switched my projector on and used it as he normally does but he wanted to load another recall memory (I have two different settings to compensate for conversion drift during the film)

He told me he selected some other memory by mistake and the projector switched off. When I now switch it on again I don't hear the HV coming up. (all the normal clicks and fan noises are there when the projector powers up). It's also possible that he pressed the source button and selected another source.

Now I have to tell you that I have an HDM with only one set of coils for the high band only. Could it be that he has selected some settings that switch to low band and that gives an interlock?

I guess my only way is to connect it via the serial cable to check what is going on with the marquee software isn't it? can I change settings while in standby?

I still have the old HDM so I could pop that one in and see if I get HV.

The projector was working normal before I went abroad. It happened once in a while that the HV switched off for a short dip but not very often (onces during a film now and then).

I'll also try to clean the contacts on the LVPS and HVPS (that helped also once).

Any thoughts about this?

Regards,

Ron.
View user's photo album (7 photos)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

"Now I have to tell you that I have an HDM with only one set of coils for the high band only." Huh? I'd like to see a picture of that.

The high voltage takes power from the LVPS at +390 vdc. You could have a problem there. I had a projector that brought high voltage up when I plugged in the power cord; so the +390 was not switching on/off like it should.

High voltage may be lost by a defect in the HVPS or it may be disabled by Inhibits. Loss of H Sweep, loss of V Sweep, or some condition on a neckboard will cause inhibits. See if any of your Diagnostic LEDs on the control board are lit. HVPS failures are not unusual; try swapping that first if possible.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Yes I even had it discussed on the forum here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23337&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hdm&&start=20

there should be a link with a picture

I don't have a HVPS but I do have another LVPS I also have all the parts for recapping the LVPS but that's for another time.

Regards,

Ron.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay

Try what's available but the likelihood of problem is HVPS first, HDM second, LVPS or neckboard distant third, cracked tube gone to air a rarity. See if all of your filaments are lit; a cracked tube would burn up a heater.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Problem solved!

I connected with the serial cable with the electrohome control software. I switched the projector on but no HV.
Then i switched source to 01 and Bingo!

Regards,

Ron.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the HV was working all along. To check, always press the '#' button, and the test patterns should come up regardless.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody,

For Curt,

I didn't check that. It means that if you select '#" it generates itself a scan frequency? I thought it would use the frequency on the inputs and puts the test image on top.

regards,

Ron.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronaldus wrote:
Hi all,

Problem solved!

I connected with the serial cable with the electrohome control software. I switched the projector on but no HV.
Then i switched source to 01 and Bingo!

Regards,

Ron.

You could have do that simply with the remote too.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronaldus wrote:
Thanks everybody,

For Curt,

I didn't check that. It means that if you select '#" it generates itself a scan frequency? I thought it would use the frequency on the inputs and puts the test image on top.

regards,

Ron.

The # button generates test patterns regardless if an input is connected or not. The only reason I point it out is that your thread title was about no HV, and it had everyone going down a 'no HV' troubleshooting path. Without accurate information, you may have gone as far as buying unnecessary parts. I'm surprised a 'no input' message didn't come up on the screen shortly after power-up, which also would have indicated that your HV was OK.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion but as I wrote in the first post it happened when I was not present. When I got it working again I checked the remote control and the batteries where not fitted correctly but oddly the on off worked. All the other functions didn't work. I refitted the batteries and everything worked ok. I did press source 01 with the remote first but it didn't do anything and that's when I turned to the forum.

Thanks anyway for all your help.

Regards,

Ron.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

My projector won't switch on again but this time it's a serious problem I think.

This what happens:

After connecting the mains:

LVPS fans start spinning on low speed (normal)
no leds on LVPS are lid (normal?)
I press power.
I hear one click (it normally does this when it switches on)
Then i hear immediately another click and the unit is off again and it stays off.

I Press power again and the LVPS starts clicking every second or so (listen to the attached soundfile)
It can only be stopped by disconnecting from the mains.

I suspect the LVPS but wanted to check first here with you.

What do you think?

MarqueeClicking2.wma
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.77 KB
 Viewed:  8821 Time(s)

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not the LVPS. That clicking happens when a short develops in the set on a module.

The internal fans will come on with only the LVPS and CLM installed, you can unplug or disconnect every other board in the set to try to eliminate the short.

Most common board failures are the focus board, between the red and green tubes, or the video neck boards on the back of the tubes. Try disconnecting those one at a time, and see if the set will turn back on. You should get an image with one neck board and/or the focus board disconnected. Watch the wires on the neck boards, the G2 wire has up to 800 volts on it.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks curt,

I'll try that
I have a focus board and a HDM laying around and I 'll try it.

I had already tried it without the HVPS but still the clicking.

I had now and then the blue channel shrinking down a bit so maybe it's the vertical board that finally died.

I'll keep you informed.

regards,

Ron.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron

You can also unplug the rear heat sink ribbon cables---one is vertical board, the other is convergence/stig amp. You won't get high voltage with the vertical unplugged but you might eliminate the short and LVPS hold-down.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I tried again tonight and when it starts clicking then the second led from the left briefly lits up (ceiling mounted) so this should correspond to the -85V and this is used for the neck boards Sad
I don't remember if the HDM also uses the -85V but I'll check that on the schematics later.
I didn't have the time to pull out the modules yet.

Just to keep you informed.

Regards,

Ron
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for burnt caps on the neckboards but try to run the pj with only the green blue or red first.

bonne chance.

ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick question~:

If disconnect a neck board I also disconnect the HV lead from the splitter?
I guess yes because otherwise there is HV on the tube and the 2 black grounding wires that go to the neck boards normally will be disconnected thats not a good thing. I forgot to connect once a grounding strip and that killed a transistor on the VDM

or can I just disconnect the white connector with (I believe 10 pins) from the neck board?

Regards,

Ron.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Bingo!

I exchanged the LVPS and the projector is running again!

This is an unmodified LVPS so it's very noisy.

The one that died was modified according to a procedure setup by HK-STEVE
It was running like that for at least 4 years so i think it's not that that killed it.

I have all the components to recap it but i first have to see whats wrong with it.

Thanks again everybody for your help.

Regards,

Ron.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some feedback from my side.

I have checked the broken LVPS and I managed to repair it. The switching MOSFET Q27. BUZ80A was broken (it had a permanent resistance of 2.5Kohms between Drain and Source.

I found a similar FET from a switch mode power supply and put it in and the projector powers up again.

I've got a spare again so recapping can start.

Regards,

Ron.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky, usually when the LVPS blow MOSFETS, it takes out a bunch of stuff. I have repaired a few, but most due to shorted caps, or caps that blew off the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: