Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 909 - Anyone running 3k on it

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Barco 909 - Anyone running 3k on it Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Is anyone running a high resolution into their 909? I see in the specs it is capable of 3,200 by 2,560 pixels.

Does it resolve well at that resolution? Would it have to be fed a signal from a PC? It seems like UHD disks slightly downscaled to 3k would look amazing on this thing. Very Happy

Anyone have any experience with this?

J
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, he is taking the bait and running with it. you owe me a dinner! Very Happy

The limitation will be focusing and video bandwidth. The video geeks here and elsewhere can elaborate more, but I'll bet you won't see much difference between 3K and 1080p. Only my $.02. Smile
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Ah, he is taking the bait and running with it. you owe me a dinner! Very Happy

The limitation will be focusing and video bandwidth. The video geeks here and elsewhere can elaborate more, but I'll bet you won't see much difference between 3K and 1080p. Only my $.02. Smile

Yup! Started looking at specs lol. I DO owe you a steak or two! Smile
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1080p looks pretty good Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:

I agree! 1080p looks amazing on the G90 too. I have a situation where I am watching a lot of UHD disks because of the exclusive Atmos tracks on them (like Blade Runner). Currently I am downrezzing them to watch on my 1080p screen but I would love to be able to watch them in a little bit higher resolution if possible. Smile
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 1080/72. Noticeably better pic on the G90. Probably the 909 too
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yes I have experience, and can offer you the same Wink

Beside my highly modified 919SP I had a spare Barco FP 909, and I fed it around 2880x1620 to see if it was capable of doing so.
And the outcome was...it is Very Happy Only not easy. You can't use moome's HDMI board because it is limited to 1080P so you'll have to ga the analog way. Then cables are extreemly important to maintain sharpness and don't introduce any video noise.
For this I have made an HTPC with special powerful nvidia videoboard that is capable of doing high resolutions over VGA. Made an breakout 5bnc slot on it and fed the Barco RGBHV over input board 5.
I can tell you it looked amazing, but you'll need the best lenses (HFQ-900) and probably a modified video chain is preferable to still have a good MTF.
The thing I struggled was drivers for the video card and all the hassle with the HTPC, very time consuming and there also was my 919SP hanging on the ceiling projecting a very decent picture at 1080P 72hz.
My spare 909 is sold but I still have the special HTPC, so if you wanna try I'm happy to sell it for a friendly price. just shoot me a PM.
Check this: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34138&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=5bnc+breakout&&start=120

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAllan wrote:
ElTopo wrote:

I agree! 1080p looks amazing on the G90 too. I have a situation where I am watching a lot of UHD disks because of the exclusive Atmos tracks on them (like Blade Runner). Currently I am downrezzing them to watch on my 1080p screen but I would love to be able to watch them in a little bit higher resolution if possible. Smile

Blend Cool
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maybe could if i'm not too lazy Mr. Green

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, run 1080p. Neither a G90 nor a 909 really resolves fully 1080p due to limitations as said in lenses and video-circuits.

It can look amazing at 1080p if effort in maximizing setup. Like perfect positioning, maximizing phosphor-usage, perfect astig and focus - then picture can be stellar at 1080p. I wouldnt try any higher resolution, very little to gain.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pj-toso wrote:
Yes, run 1080p. Neither a G90 nor a 909 really resolves fully 1080p due to limitations as said in lenses and video-circuits.

It can look amazing at 1080p if effort in maximizing setup. Like perfect positioning, maximizing phosphor-usage, perfect astig and focus - then picture can be stellar at 1080p. I wouldnt try any higher resolution, very little to gain.

I agree there is very little to gain but it is very cool that a Barco is capable of going over 1080p. I'm sure with effort you can get a pretty good image at near 3k, the analogue way Cool

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francisco wrote:
Hi yes I have experience, and can offer you the same Wink

Beside my highly modified 919SP I had a spare Barco FP 909, and I fed it around 2880x1620 to see if it was capable of doing so.
And the outcome was...it is Very Happy Only not easy. You can't use moome's HDMI board because it is limited to 1080P so you'll have to ga the analog way. Then cables are extreemly important to maintain sharpness and don't introduce any video noise.
For this I have made an HTPC with special powerful nvidia videoboard that is capable of doing high resolutions over VGA. Made an breakout 5bnc slot on it and fed the Barco RGBHV over input board 5.
I can tell you it looked amazing, but you'll need the best lenses (HFQ-900) and probably a modified video chain is preferable to still have a good MTF.
The thing I struggled was drivers for the video card and all the hassle with the HTPC, very time consuming and there also was my 919SP hanging on the ceiling projecting a very decent picture at 1080P 72hz.
My spare 909 is sold but I still have the special HTPC, so if you wanna try I'm happy to sell it for a friendly price. just shoot me a PM.
Check this: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34138&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=5bnc+breakout&&start=120

Thanks for the info! I was aware of the moome limitation. Was planning to go from my PC setup. I have several computers here and was planning the go the HGBHV route. I edit 4k films so I have all the necessary video cards.

The link was helpful too. I hadn't read that thread thanks!
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
I maybe could if i'm not too lazy Mr. Green

I see a lot of your posts about Barco on the forum Wink
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francisco wrote:
pj-toso wrote:

It can look amazing at 1080p if effort in maximizing setup. Like perfect positioning, maximizing phosphor-usage, perfect astig and focus - then picture can be stellar at 1080p. I wouldn't try any higher resolution, very little to gain.

I agree there is very little to gain but it is very cool that a Barco is capable of going over 1080p. I'm sure with effort you can get a pretty good image at near 3k, the analogue way Cool

I agree. I am also thinking of just using this PJ for films so I would be going with a 2.40 screen format. Might be able to squeeze out some higher refresh rates. maybe 2880x1225.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO me the primary benefit from UHD is Rec2020 (limited to DCI-P3), and there's no way to make a CRT do that! HDR definitely, a bit more resolution for sure, but a larger color pallet no way.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you did a 2.40:1, 2880x1225, and HDR you would have a Uber Tweaked CRT.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
JayAllan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
So if you did a 2.40:1, 2880x1225, and HDR you would have a Uber Tweaked CRT.

Exactly what I am thinking! Smile
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend to watch UHD's instead of the Blu Ray's.

In my opinion there's much more punch.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow
So anyone know if modifying the rgb switcher board would help (Greg eisnmans suggestion)
or Full Greg Eisenman's mods worth it for higher res? or even 1080P?
I have the 909 with moome card and agree 4k even @ 1080p looks fantastic
but am curious if there is more to squeeze out.

and craig what is the limitation with colour the colour filters? could they be improved
(have red and green) or is the phosphor just not RGB enough?

Mr. Green

ive seen old posts about greggs mods but the picture links are broken

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: