Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Weird Marquee problem; loses settings at power-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Weird Marquee problem; loses settings at power-up Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys

"Having ongoing problems with my projector. It hasn’t been stable since the effort to replace the guns.

It has lost its settings every 1-2 months, and recently, 3 times in the last 5 days. There’s an undiagnosed problem that appears to be getting worse.

No pops, clicks or ozone. I turn it off when I go to bed, and when I turn it on the following day, all the settings are gone."

M9500/Vision One, built 1997 or so.

Customer reports getting message "Performed Complete Initialization" when it blows.

I've never seen this before---to confuse me, it started happening after replacing three tubes. Nine months later, it's getting Worse. Any ideas? LVPS surge? Tried three different control boards, same result.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I think it must be power supply related. Maybe the voltage to RAM memory is bad and then the memory content gets corrupted and this forces the microcontroller to initialise a full reset.

Would that made sense?

Regards,

Ron.
View user's photo album (7 photos)
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This could be related to the serial EEPROM located on the back plane board. Its contents has to match a specific structure that the CLM firmware expects to see. Whenever there's a mismatch, a complete initialization will be performed. It's the same behaviour as with a major version firmware change. E.g. You have a CLM with version 4.2 firmware and replace it with a version 6.1 ->BAM! complete initialization will occur at first start up because version 6.1 didn't find the expected EEPROM contents.
Otherwise, I would thoroughly clean the LVPS connector/socket, the HVPS connector/socket and check the backplane CLM connector...

Kind Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Those were kind of my instincts on this---noise on one of the LVPS rails?---looking to try two other power supplies, tomorrow I hope. If it's the backplane we're f----d.
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
If it's the backplane we're f----d.

Nope.
You can remove the faulty EEPROM and replace it with a new blank one. It's a 24C04 which is quite common and easy to source...

Kind Regards,
barclay66
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah

One has to gut the machine to do that. I've never removed a backplane---it looks like a nightmare.
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Yeah

One has to gut the machine to do that. I've never removed a backplane---it looks like a nightmare.

I did. You have to remove all board rails. It‘s easier if You remove the upper mother board first. Anyway, it takes quite a lot of time...

Kind Regards,
barclay66
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Maybe a stupid idea because the SDA and ACL lines go everywhere but if we could disconnect his wires from the EEPROM (or get the eprom out without taking the back plane off?) we could then connect a new one on a small pcb on the CLM itself to test if it works. What would happen if we just put another EEPROM parallel on this same SDA and ACL lines? They probably got another address?

just a wild idea.

regards,

Ron
View user's photo album (7 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, in the three times I've replaced a backplane (what a PITA that is!), only one actually needed changing, where a glycol leak happened, eating away at traces. The other two times the fault wasn't the backplane.

Tim, I'd check for glycol leaks that might have hit the backplane as well.
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I wouldn't start at the back plane anyway. I just wanted to point out that there is a similar behaviour that has to do with it.
@ronaldus:
The I2C address is set using three pins of the EEPROM. On the 24C04 for the back plane, pins 1, 2 and 3 (A0...A2) need to be connected to ground. Then it has the correct address. And yes, it wouldn't matter where it is located physically as long as its data and clock line are connected to the main I2C bus...

Kind Regards,
barclay66
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Tim, I'd check for glycol leaks that might have hit the backplane as well.

I did find glycol leaks but.............it's ceiling mounted! LOL
barclay66

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just took a look at a chassis:
The EEPROM sits right below the red tube and it should possible removing it using a small wire cutter. Soldering in the replacement, a socket or attaching a break out board would then be possible from the component side...

Kind Regards,
barclay66
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

Just took a look at a chassis:
The EEPROM sits right below the red tube and it should possible removing it using a small wire cutter. Soldering in the replacement, a socket or attaching a break out board would then be possible from the component side...

Kind Regards,
barclay66

Not looking to mess with it. I have some Ultras coming in later this summer, I'll swap the chassis. Meanwhile my customer can use Standby.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

I looked at this 9500 today and ran a simple check. The customer turned it On/Off twice and it Reinitialized. No hint of an arc or any high voltage weirdness.

So I'm thinking.......What if we take the tubes out of the picture? We take off the front cover and I pull the HVPS out an inch---no high voltage. I turn the machine On/Off six times and reposition the HVPS properly. It reset again with the tubes off. No message on-screen so it was not the last Power-On that did it.

I loaded my spare LVPS into the slot and dialed in the machine and proceeded with ten On/Offs and no resets. Case closed (I think. LOL)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: