Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HV Lead Splicing connectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: HV Lead Splicing connectors Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
In my adventures in replacing the HV tripler in my Videobeam (since no directly compatible part is available) I've had to investigate some methods for splicing the HV lead. Curt's method that he made a page for on the site is effective for a permanent installation, but I kind of wanted something more serviceable. In my searching, I found this interesting connector set:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pair-High-Voltage-Wire-Connector-CO2-Laser-Power-Supply-Tube-Engraving-Accessor/32836106892.html

I was initially a little wary of trying it out because they've posted no voltage rating for the thing, but I looked into what it takes to run a "CO2 Engraving Laser" and it looks like a lot of the power supplies that use that style of connector are actually able to put out up to 35kV. My Videobeam isn't supposed to get above 30kV, so I thought it was worth a shot and ordered a set (they're certainly cheap enough anyway). They arrived yesterday, and I installed them today, and they seem to work fine. They seem to be optimized for TV-40 wire, as the rubber boots fit tight around the wire but the insulation easily slips through the solid connector body itself. Unfortunately, while I had the mating connector to the HV splitter with TV-40 wire on it, my tripler actually has TV-50 wire coming out of it, so I had to drill out one side of the connector to accept the thicker wire insulation. I'm thinking it will still be okay as there's essentially the same amount of insulation in the area I had to drill out, it's just that now more of it is wire insulation and less of it is connector insulation. I think as long as I keep the length of the connector insulation the same (so the overlap of wire insulation to connector insulation is the same distance), drilling it out a little should be okay.

So, what do you guys think? Anyone else ever use one of these connectors to splice an HV lead where necessary? I can't hear any arcing or discharge off the connector, so it's at least safe for short periods of time, but dare I leave the projector on longer and see if anything bad happens?
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: HV Lead Splicing connectors Reply with quote

jmetal88 wrote:
So, what do you guys think? Anyone else ever use one of these connectors to splice an HV lead where necessary? I can't hear any arcing or discharge off the connector, so it's at least safe for short periods of time, but dare I leave the projector on longer and see if anything bad happens?

I think you have really big balls Mr. Green

Seriously, it may be all right. Who knows with unspecified Chinese high voltage connectors. You'll find out one way or the other... hopefully not by getting blown across the room!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: