Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

OTA Tuner for Projectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: OTA Tuner for Projectors Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Who of you guys are watching OTA broadcasting, and which tuner would you recommend that I buy? I have a Sanyo projector and need a way to watch TV through OTA. There are several choices on Amazon but I wanted to get some opinions from you all. Thanks!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the nicest I've owned has been a Samsung DTB-H260F.
https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Make sure you get the remote with it. It can't do anything without it.

For a cheap POS tuner I use these: https://www.ebay.com/?mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&siteid=0&campid=5336656890&toolid=20008&mkevt=1

Only issue is lip sync.It looses lip sync. Not too big a deal on sports or racing but maddening on regular TV and movies. except Kung-Fu movies that is. Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend a new or used TiVo. I have been using them for years as do many of my clients.

If you bide your time you can often get a new Roamio "OTA" for around $200 with Lifetime "all in" service so there is no subscription fees. If you search Craigs list or eBay you can find them for around the same price in good condition used condition. The Roamio also supports some apps like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and Amazon Streaming / Prime. Just be certain to buy the 4 tuner model as it's the only one that has OTA capability, or buy the one that is the "OTA" model. Most of the "OTA" models come with Lifetime Service, but not all so be sure to verify.

You can also consider the TiVo Premiere, but they are getting long in the tooth and the interface runs relatively slowly. That said the build quality is top notch. On this generation, only the two tuner model supports OTA (but it also supports cable at the same time). They can be found easily for less than $200 on eBay. Again make sure it has "Lifetime Service."

There is also the current model the BOLT. It's significantly more expensive and runs the same software as the Roamio, but is much faster and snappier. As with he Roamio be certain to buy the 4 tuner model as it's the only one that has OTA capability. There is no BOLT "OTA" model. And again make sure it has "Lifetime Service."

I have a Roamio OTA in which I upgraded with some cooling mods and a Western Digital 8TB RED hard drive. I also have a BOLT that I have done extensive cooling mods and upgraded the hard drive to a 4TB Western Digital BLUE. I have two TiVo Mini's as well. Any TiVo can watch what is recorded to on any other TiVo in the system.

Here is a link to my BOLT cooling Mods:
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/my-awesome-bolt-cooling-mods.558770/

Best,
Craig

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
...and THIS if you're really into TV and don't just want a stand alone or future upgrade to multiple units. I went the free-ish route and did the above with KODI and Win7 PC's BUT that took ALOT of fartin' arond.

Like Craig says TIVO works.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a PC with a tuner card (actually a networked MythTV setup).
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, haven't thought about TiVo in a long time...
View user's photo album (21 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWill wrote:
Wow, haven't thought about TiVo in a long time...

TiVo's hardware volume is way down recently and they were bought out. I think they are positioning themselves to become a software company. They also hold a plethora of patents that have tremendous value.

All that aside, I think their DVR's still have the best reliability and user interface. Their program guide data is spot on and the DVR's never miss a show and always work flawlessly. All of their boxes also offer source direct (aka native output resolution, or whatever resolutions you specify). The BOLT can do 4K 60Hz HDR too which is cool for Netflix and Prime.

TiVo has launched a new user interface that they call the "new user experience," aka Hydra, but I don't like it. Fortunately to me, they are not forcing people to "upgrade" and you can revert to the classic HD interface on any new box or if you are OK with loosing your recordings you can revert any time.

I will be curious to see what they come up with for ATSC 3.0. Some say it will be the end of TiVo hardware while other speculate it will be a new beginning. I'm not holding my breath either way and am curious to see if ATSC 3.0 ever even gets off the ground.

Best,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ATSC 2 or M-ATSC fizzled. Never got going. ATSC 3 would be great as ATSC 1 took what...20 years to really get rolled out? Also were behind the times with MPEG2 with better compression avilable.

Lately they have allowed the TV stations to sell off their RF frequencies. CBS Buffalo NY doubled up on CW's 23 channel. Oddly my OTA ATSC recorder Beyond TV with Hauppauge tuners will no longer record CBS broadcasts but has no issues with CW. It actually tries then at the end crashes and the recording goes away.

Also 1 hour of ATSC 1080i broadcast use to be 6.9GiB, they are now 3.5 GiB. So they have doubled the compression.

CRT.

HD done right!
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers guys. Would be great to watch live TV on the big screen. Smile
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whren analog cable TV was still around I had a tuner from a SONY front projection TV from thr 80's. I bought the remote years before not knowing what it went with, just that it worked with my 27" SONY TV. Ran that into a line quadupler to get a63KHz signal then into my Ampro 4000. It looked pretty good.
Untill ATSC came along. After a week of watching that it was hard to go back to analog cable, BUT cable had way more channels.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: