Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Blade Runner 2049

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner 2049 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
From what I understand this movie didn't do well at the box office. The reviews seem binary at best and I went into it without any preconceived notions--which was shocking considering I've seen the original BR movie more than any other film by far. I like Harrison Ford as an actor, Ridley Scott as a director, Vangelis as a music composer, Sid Meade as a visionary, etc., etc., etc.

The new movie was directed by Denis Villeneuve and I have to say I think I like his style without even knowing who he was or is. In fact, I just went on Wiki to see his filmography and was surprised that he also directed The Arrival, which I also took visual pleasure in. And now, without spoiling the moive itself I will say this treatise is one I will enjoy watching again.

How did all of you find the film?

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049 Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
From what I understand this movie didn't do well at the box office.

BoxOfficeMojo says it only returned $92M domestically on a $150M production cost -- not good. But it did better internationally, with $260M worldwide. And that's before the ongoing revenue of disks, streaming, etc. But you also have to factor in promotional costs &etc. I've read that a movie has to make roughly double its production cost to really "break even" and be profitable. So BR2049 isn't quite there yet.

I found the film great visually, but I couldn't really enjoy it. The theater I saw it in had sound issues. The "synthesized background noise" or whatever it was was usually louder than the dialog. I missed most of the storyline because I couldn't understand half of what was said. I'll have to see it again -- probably in my theater this time.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the sound was immense and I can only wonder what I missed by not having an Atmos (sp) setup.

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome movie.

One of the best movies i've seen the last 20 years.

Like Inception that gave me also a WOW effect i saw it the first time.

Enjoy Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoroughly enjoyed it! the original remains one of my favorite movies for showing off CRT projection.This is a worthy sequel that could easily stand on its own merits.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great film. Saw it 3 times in theaters!
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049 Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
From what I understand this movie didn't do well at the box office.

Pretty much like the original.

I really liked the 2049 version. I liked that the pacing was slow and similar to the original. I need to watch this one again!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange that when I originally heard that Ryan Gosling was playing the lead I said, "What are they thinking?" Then I completely forgot that it was him as I got involved in the story. Now I think he was very appropriate.

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it could be possible that because this follow-up version was so far removed from the first(!981-2017), that unless one saw the original this sequel would not have made a lot of sense, hence, perhaps the disappointing box office results. I purchased the 4K BR and enjoy it, however, if there is one drawback, it is its length(2 hrs. 43 mins.).
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best flick of 2018 , one of the few i was looking forward to that actually left me feeling engaged and satisfied

Ron W wrote:
I believe it could be possible that because this follow-up version was so far removed from the first(!981-2017), that unless one saw the original this sequel would not have made a lot of sense, hence, perhaps the disappointing box office results. I purchased the 4K BR and enjoy it, however, if there is one drawback, it is its length(2 hrs. 43 mins.).
I couldn't believe it was that long, so engrossing it felt like an hour movie, even the 2nd time i watched it
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: