Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G90 white band

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mendo

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: G90 white band Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just hooked up my new Oppo 203 last night to the my G90. I made some blanking adjustment (overshooting the screen at the top) and when I finished I noticed a white line/band a few inches above the picture. It maybe a couple scanning lines. The screen is hanging a third of the way into the room (integrating HT into a formerly dedicated 2 channel set up) and has a black felt border a few inches wide. The lines just hits the top of the black so it's possible it's been like that since Kurt came down and set the thing up and it the line was shooting off into the room. Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

Edit: What should the resolution be set at? 1080p 24/50/60 or 1080p auto. Currently it is set at 60. Can somebody give me a quick primer on the advantages and disadvantages of each? Lastly, there is a "Target Luminance" setting the has the units "nits". Some help here would be much appreciated.
Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1080P 60 or 720P 60
See what you like best. The error might be gone in 720P

Turn OFF "HDR" from Auto. Must be turned to SDR.
That's what the nits slider is for, simulated HDR called tone mapping, then in the Oppo.

Last edited by Pzyked on Sun May 20, 2018 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDR is set to Auto on mine. Other settings gave a under saturrated picture.

You can also slide the nits control when HDR is set to Auto.

I personally use 250-300 nits and Mode 3 on HDR-SDR mapping.

cheers
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal I will recommend that it will be better with HDR turned off.

On your G90 you don't have BT2020 or HDR I think it will be better to turn HDR off completely.
Then you get standard dynamic range with Rec709. Your G90 will never reach BT2020 anyway as you know.

The nits setting slider works like this, more punch in the picture lower nits less punch higher nits. "In highlights"

To low setting will burn out in white, and to high setting will make black crush.

I will say here try it out and pick the best setting that you feel is right for your display. Last time I checked on my display 150 was okay.

What is the best way to do is to look at the Blu-Ray version of the movie, and then compare to the UHD version of the movie to get it as close as possible, then what you see in white and black. To get it best way possible a calibration.
ask4me2

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: G90 white band Reply with quote

Mendo wrote:
I just hooked up my new Oppo 203 last night to the my G90. I made some blanking adjustment (overshooting the screen at the top) and when I finished I noticed a white line/band a few inches above the picture. It maybe a couple scanning lines. The screen is hanging a third of the way into the room (integrating HT into a formerly dedicated 2 channel set up) and has a black felt border a few inches wide. The lines just hits the top of the black so it's possible it's been like that since Kurt came down and set the thing up and it the line was shooting off into the room. Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

The white line may be from the G90s ABG mode described on page 68 in the manual.

http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/SonyG90_Install.pdf
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a similar white line at the top of the raster on my VPH-1272Q. For some reason it never ocurred to me that there might be a way to get rid of it. I'll be following this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: