Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

My PC board work and the conclusion

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: My PC board work and the conclusion Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a previous customer that contacted me concerning his boards. Boards that are already in his projector. He wanted to know If I had also done the same kind of work to his boards. I not only told him no, I told him that the boards shown on that thread was terribly tampered with, there would not have been a solder blob on that set of boards, though they had been previously modified. The first image below shoes what a fresh set of boards would look like while being modified. The second image shows what the mini board that I attach to the VIM PC board looks like. It is a blank board, but enough to show the skill that would be needed to attach the components to that little board. That IC trace is an 16 pin switch chip. I have been doing it all by hand.

So for anybody else out there that have purchased my boards, look for yourself, and you should see similar to what I'm showing in the first picture. The exception of course would be any board that had to re-work that had previous damage or changes that were already there. Still in those cases, I have been cleaning up the boards using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. The image on that thread shows not only a terrible dirty board, it shows it blurred and showing added solder blobs. Those blobs would not be on a board that I modified, especially anything I've done the past three years. I was also looking for another image on a neck board that was posted by someone else not too long ago. That board also shows a clean and exceptionally well soldered board. I know I should have a picture somewhere.

So in no way have I or would I have done such sloppy and un-clean board work. I have a very good quality controlled temperature soldering station. And a batch of custom as well as required soldering tools that even allows me to solder and re-work some of the tiniest work. I have other board pictures as well of my exceptional work.

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one showing what an finished mini board would look like being attached to an 03 VIM. And it shows the detail that went into attaching that tiny IC. Does that look like the work of someone that does not clean-up their work and would have solder blobs in open places...

I'll add the conclusion to this once it's confirmed later.

Guess who's 03 VIM this is...
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wire that supplies ~1kV.

cutout.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.37 KB
 Viewed:  6897 Time(s)

cutout.jpg

View user's photo album (1 photos)
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:

Actually it would be more like half that. And by that being the original stock wire (see the glue), what is your point?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
gjaky wrote:

Actually it would be more like half that. And by that being the original stock wire (see the glue), what is your point?

Ok, let it be 500V...

In the first post you said:

mp20748 wrote:

So in no way have I or would I have done such sloppy and un-clean board work. I have a very good quality controlled temperature soldering station. And a batch of custom as well as required soldering tools that even allows me to solder and re-work some of the tiniest work. I have other board pictures as well of my exceptional work.

And then there is a picture of a board with a factory molten (?) G2 wire. I have more than 30 VNBs here and none of them came with factory molten G2 wire.

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
mp20748 wrote:
gjaky wrote:

Ok, let it be 500V...

mp20748 wrote:

And then there is a picture of a board with a factory molten (?) G2 wire. I have more than 30 VNBs here and none of them came with factory molten G2 wire.

Ok since you want to discuss this. That board is on the mod process and that wire I usually shorten, so that section you're speaking of was removed later. What are you referring to by molten?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
That board is on the mod process and that wire I usually shorten, so that section you're speaking of was removed later.

I stand corrected then.

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
mp20748 wrote:
That board is on the mod process and that wire I usually shorten, so that section you're speaking of was removed later.

I stand corrected then.

That's one of the things I admire about you, you keep an open mind.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
gjaky wrote:
mp20748 wrote:
gjaky wrote:

Ok, let it be 500V...

mp20748 wrote:

Ok since you want to discuss this. That board is on the mod process and that wire I usually shorten, so that section you're speaking of was removed later. What are you referring to by molten?

He is implying that you are stating that your work is of professional quality, and the picture posted suggests your work is super sloppy, and does not merit its praise from you. It does not come from the factory with molten wiring etc.. Hey, you posted the shot, so don’t shoot the messenger.

MAK
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:

He is implying that you are stating that your work is of professional quality, and the picture posted suggests your work is super sloppy, and does not merit its praise from you. It does not come from the factory with molten wiring etc.. Hey, you posted the shot, so don’t shoot the messenger.

MAK

Well maybe you can answer the question of what did he mean by "molten" and where are the super sloppy areas you speak of?

Last edited by mp20748 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
I found one showing what an finished mini board would look like being attached to an 03 VIM. And it shows the detail that went into attaching that tiny IC. Does that look like the work of someone that does not clean-up their work and would have solder blobs in open places...

I'll add the conclusion to this once it's confirmed later.

Guess who's 03 VIM this is...

and guess who's 03 VIM this is from:

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I do find it hard to believe I overlooked that ground wire, especially knowing Kurt had and still has the boards. But of course I could have done that, and it would not have an affect on the image.

How about the material being removed from the switching IC, who did that?

And I must say, beside that ground that board both mini and main are exceptionally clean. Did I also forget to do the same on the neck boards?
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Seems to me like this thread is just a continuation of the one that just was closed.
Sums up to me like this:

- The criticism regarding Mike’s work isn’t going to stop no matter how many excuses/justifications/objections/opposite examples (pick Your favorite one) he will present.
- Even if 80% of the criticism was fake, it would leave enough substance for the famous grain of truth.
- If I was in the same situation, at one point I would have to accept this as a fact, admit it to criticizers, look for ways how to improve and move on.
- Coming up with one justification after another and the ‘always has to have the last word’ attitude works directly against credibility and simply tends to get boring.

Just a suggestion...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

Seems to me like this thread is just a continuation of the one that just was closed.
Sums up to me like this:

- The criticism regarding Mike’s work isn’t going to stop no matter how many excuses/justifications/objections/opposite examples (pick Your favorite one) he will present.
- Even if 80% of the criticism was fake, it would leave enough substance for the famous grain of truth.
- If I was in the same situation, at one point I would have to accept this as a fact, admit it to criticizers, look for ways how to improve and move on.
- Coming up with one justification after another and the ‘always has to have the last word’ attitude works directly against credibility and simply tends to get boring.

Just a suggestion...

Regards,
barclay66

Good points all here, so I've asked Curt to have Kal to lock the thread.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

Sums up to me like this:

Just a suggestion...

Regards,
barclay66

Agreed.

@Mike: Please stop posting anything and everything to do with mod work. You say you no longer sell anything. That's great. So please stop posting about it. Please also stop starting threads like this that are are self-promoting. That's against the forum rules. Take this elsewhere. I don't care where, we don't want to hear about your mod work here as we have had too many complaints. As Barclay66 mentions many have been critical about the quality of your work. Accept the fact that some do not like what you've done. You cannot change that. Posting will not change that. DO NOT use our forum as a means to defend and promote yourself which is all that this thread that you started is about.

Way back when you used to sell mod services we had many criticize your turn-around time too. Taking a year to mod someone's boards is not normal. I know you don't sell anymore, but my suggestion to you is that you stop dealing directly with customers at all and never do so again in the future. You can't take someone's money and then not deliver something for months and more or even a year or more.

@Everyone else who in unhappy about the quality of work Mike did for you: Learn your lessons, don't deal with Mike Parker in the future. You will not be able to change anything. While Mike says he still supports previous I would suggest not send anything else to him and just moving on. If you have issues with him, you'll probably always continue to have issues with him. DO NOT use our forum as a means to attack others, including Mike Parker. Cut your losses.

@Everyone else who has never dealt with Mike Parker but may be considering it in the future if he ever starts offering mod services again: Caveat emptor. Mike will never be allowed to promote any of his work here. Our forum has nothing to do with Mike Parker.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've locked this thread.

@Mike: Stop promoting your "work" and talking about your "mods".

@Everyone else: Stop using our forum to bitch about your past dealings with Mike Parker or anyone else for that matter. That is not the why this forum exists. No forum would allow this back and forth bickering to continue. Try doing this on AVS and see how far you get. Both sides would simply be banned immediately. This has nothing to do with our forum or 'business model'' as some may think. We don't deal with Mike. We have no vested interest, no financial gain or loss. If someone thinks there's still money to be made in the CRT industry and we are in some way defending Mike, they have rocks for brains. This forum costs me money to run and provides nothing in return. If this crap continues, I'll just turn off the forum. That would actually save me money, simplest thing to do, and save me lots of grief.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: