Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

 
Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Oppo is ceasing production
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Curt Palme
CRT Tech



Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 23993
Location: Langley, BC

TV/Projector: All of them!


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Oppo is ceasing production Reply with quote


        Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just saw this on my Facebook page:

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

I guess digital streaming killed them?
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator



Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 26038
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow wonder what happened there? Didn't see that one coming.
_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jask




Joined: 17 Mar 2006
Posts: 9593
Location: kamloops BC


PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really impressive gear but there can not be a huge market for 1300$ BluRay players...
Back to top
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Ron W




Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Posts: 608
Location: Mississauga


PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
Really impressive gear but there can not be a huge market for 1300$ BluRay players...


Frankly, as good as Oppo players are and I have owned a number of them over the years, I believe this time around and unlike their mainstream competitors, made a surprisingly strange business decision to not include any streaming services on their players, i.e Netflix, Youtube, and Amazon etc., all of whom that are streaming a growing library of 4K material. That philosophy may have been OK for those with a so-called "Smart" monitor, but, as a buddy of mine who manages a retail operation told me, it left projector owners out in the cold whom in addition to buying the player would now have to go out and buy a separate streaming unit like a Roku, Amazon stick etc. to stream content.

This time around instead of the Oppo, I purchased a Panasonic UB900 that was rated pretty much on par with the Oppo 203 and the new units Panasonic introduced at the NAMM show along with the audiophile UB9000 they introduced in Europe looks like they will be taking the lead in that marketplace.
Back to top
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator



Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 26038
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G


PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No streaming apps? Short sighted eh?
_________________
Tech support for nothing

CRT.

HD done right!
Back to top
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jbmeyer13




Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 1134



PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the question is whom takes over the mantle as the top tier producer of BD/UHD players? I always thought Oppo's performance was a fair bit better than the competition.
_________________
Projector: Modded 9501LC ULtra- MP VIM, Vold VNB, ETECH LVPS, Silver VIM Cables, HD10F's & a V1 case!
Back to top
km987654




Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 2809
Location: Australia

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s


PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
So the question is whom takes over the mantle as the top tier producer of BD/UHD players? I always thought Oppo's performance was a fair bit better than the competition.


I believe Panasonic want that title. There is Pioneer that produce high end players.
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator



Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 16793
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
So the question is whom takes over the mantle as the top tier producer of BD/UHD players?

I don't think anyone wants (or cares) for that spot as physical media's going the way of the dodo. That's likely why Oppo's no longer making players.

Some graphs:





Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
km987654




Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 2809
Location: Australia

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s


PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:
So the question is whom takes over the mantle as the top tier producer of BD/UHD players?

I don't think anyone wants (or cares) for that spot as physical media's going the way of the dodo. That's likely why Oppo's no longer making players.

Some graphs:





Kal



When I was younger (that would be much younger) a friend had a number of video libraries that used to do insane amount of rentals. We then went to a phase where distributors wanted to sell movies and people wanted to buy them. This put him out of business. It seems now people are going back to a pseudo rental system Shocked
Back to top
Curt Palme
CRT Tech



Joined: 08 Mar 2006
Posts: 23993
Location: Langley, BC

TV/Projector: All of them!


PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. I still buy physical media, although my purchasing of BluRays has almost stopped due to streaming.

Still, certain titles like Sound City are totally worth buying the BR for, due to the extra content, which is every bit as good as the documentary.
Back to top
km987654




Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 2809
Location: Australia

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s


PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Makes sense. I still buy physical media, although my purchasing of BluRays has almost stopped due to streaming.

Still, certain titles like Sound City are totally worth buying the BR for, due to the extra content, which is every bit as good as the documentary.


If the vast majority stream then perhaps there may not be physical titles. Now that is a downer. Thumbs Down

There are some really substantial players in the Bluray and DVD selling business here. They will loose a big chunk of business without disc sales. Perhaps they will become retailers of streaming content?
Back to top
garyfritz




Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 11382
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, physical DVD/BD sales have been cut in half in 7 years?? I knew it was dropping but I didn't realize it was dying THAT fast. Looks like we won't be able to buy physical media much longer. Sad
Back to top
jbmeyer13




Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 1134



PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:
So the question is whom takes over the mantle as the top tier producer of BD/UHD players?

I don't think anyone wants (or cares) for that spot as physical media's going the way of the dodo. That's likely why Oppo's no longer making players.

Some graphs:





Kal


Yeah I know everything is heading (and being pushed) that way. I'm not thrilled about that for a host of reasons and two big ones are:

1) Need for external drives to save media to. Drives are more likely to fail over time than physical media and when they go you are likely to lose everything. This of course means you need to be constantly backing stuff up and thus paying for cloud storage fees which will certainly add up given the size of the files. It's more work and more money over the long haul.

2) Content. Oppo had a hard time licensing streaming and you can already see how the various content providers are in bed with studios via exclusivity agreements. Redbox gets certain titles first, netflix others, Vudu, Apple, etc. This is aggravating enough but at least the availability of physical media still serves as an equalizer of sorts.

At the current rate, we'll likely be at 10% physical media by 2020 and at that point all but the biggest titles will no longer be produced as the economies of scale are lost.

_________________
Projector: Modded 9501LC ULtra- MP VIM, Vold VNB, ETECH LVPS, Silver VIM Cables, HD10F's & a V1 case!
Back to top
garyfritz




Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 11382
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
2) Content. Oppo had a hard time licensing streaming and you can already see how the various content providers are in bed with studios via exclusivity agreements. Redbox gets certain titles first, netflix others, Vudu, Apple, etc. This is aggravating enough but at least the availability of physical media still serves as an equalizer of sorts.

The part I hate the most about that is the fragmenting of the market. 15 years ago you could get most everything on Netflix, even if it was mostly by DVD delivery. Now the different content providers are all launching their own delivery platforms, and if you want everything, you'll have to sign up for Netflix, Amazon, Disney, HBO Now, Hulu, ... Somebody needs to consolidate this mess and come out with a single subscription that gets you access to everything. And that doesn't cost $300/month.
Back to top
jbmeyer13




Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 1134



PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:
2) Content. Oppo had a hard time licensing streaming and you can already see how the various content providers are in bed with studios via exclusivity agreements. Redbox gets certain titles first, netflix others, Vudu, Apple, etc. This is aggravating enough but at least the availability of physical media still serves as an equalizer of sorts.

The part I hate the most about that is the fragmenting of the market. 15 years ago you could get most everything on Netflix, even if it was mostly by DVD delivery. Now the different content providers are all launching their own delivery platforms, and if you want everything, you'll have to sign up for Netflix, Amazon, Disney, HBO Now, Hulu, ... Somebody needs to consolidate this mess and come out with a single subscription that gets you access to everything. And that doesn't cost $300/month.


Yeah, Netflix made it super easy for a long time. You'll never get everything under one umbrella as I would expect HBO, Showtime, Youtube, etc. (non theatrical original programming) to offer direct access via internet to their content. The cable companies could see themselves shut out over time because you can't choose your channels a la carte and their subscription rates are through the roof (and their packages screw you one way or the other). However, the Hollywood studio produced content (20th Century Fox, WB, Paramount, Dreamworks, etc.) needs to be consolidated or available across all rental platforms because it's beyond aggravating dealing with the current mess. The potential of various streaming devices having connectivity or licensing issues (what hurt Oppo) makes selecting hardware just as much a quandary as content provider.

I have an Oppo-83 which I love for disc based material and have been using an older Samsung for streaming and storage connectivity. Ideally, I'd like one player which does 4K/2K, streams well and has no storage connectivity issues (FAT32/NTFS). If the Oppo-203 had streaming it would have met that requirement at a price I'd be willing to pay. The new crop of Panny players is probably the solution.

_________________
Projector: Modded 9501LC ULtra- MP VIM, Vold VNB, ETECH LVPS, Silver VIM Cables, HD10F's & a V1 case!
Back to top
Ron W




Joined: 07 Aug 2009
Posts: 608
Location: Mississauga


PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:
2) Content. Oppo had a hard time licensing streaming and you can already see how the various content providers are in bed with studios via exclusivity agreements. Redbox gets certain titles first, netflix others, Vudu, Apple, etc. This is aggravating enough but at least the availability of physical media still serves as an equalizer of sorts.

The part I hate the most about that is the fragmenting of the market. 15 years ago you could get most everything on Netflix, even if it was mostly by DVD delivery. Now the different content providers are all launching their own delivery platforms, and if you want everything, you'll have to sign up for Netflix, Amazon, Disney, HBO Now, Hulu, ... Somebody needs to consolidate this mess and come out with a single subscription that gets you access to everything. And that doesn't cost $300/month.


Yeah, Netflix made it super easy for a long time. You'll never get everything under one umbrella as I would expect HBO, Showtime, Youtube, etc. (non theatrical original programming) to offer direct access via internet to their content. The cable companies could see themselves shut out over time because you can't choose your channels a la carte and their subscription rates are through the roof (and their packages screw you one way or the other). However, the Hollywood studio produced content (20th Century Fox, WB, Paramount, Dreamworks, etc.) needs to be consolidated or available across all rental platforms because it's beyond aggravating dealing with the current mess. The potential of various streaming devices having connectivity or licensing issues (what hurt Oppo) makes selecting hardware just as much a quandary as content provider.

I have an Oppo-83 which I love for disc based material and have been using an older Samsung for streaming and storage connectivity. Ideally, I'd like one player which does 4K/2K, streams well and has no storage connectivity issues (FAT32/NTFS). If the Oppo-203 had streaming it would have met that requirement at a price I'd be willing to pay. The new crop of Panny players is probably the solution.


Yeah,the new Panasonic players introduced at NAMM (UB820 and 440)will include all the HDR formats(HDR10, HDR10 PLUS and Dolby Vision), however, like the original UB900, a player like the UB820 will be priced in a higher bracket than the usual mainstream models. I have a UB900 which is an excellent player and has better build quality than either Sony, Samsung or LG and according to the reviews that I have seen, it even measured slightly better on chroma upsampling of BR discs to 4K and HDR processing than even the Oppo, quite remarkable considering the UB900 was introduced in late 2016. Of course, there have been a number of firmware updates since that first introduction, it just doesn't have Dolby Vision.

What is rather interesting though, is after NAMM was over, there was a large electronics show in Europe in which Panasonic introduced the "A/V Phile" UB9000 which I assume was essentially done to compete with the higher end Oppo 205. Whether or not they move forward with that model introduction in N/A remains to be seen. Cambridge Audio has a player that is essentially a clone of the Oppo 203, however, at a higher price so it seems some manufacturers haven't given up on physical media just yet.
Back to top
jask




Joined: 17 Mar 2006
Posts: 9593
Location: kamloops BC


PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... let me know when you see the 205s on sale Wink
Back to top
View user's photo album (4 photos)
HaydnG90




Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 1285



PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Get on the wait list for the June (and probably last) delivery. Guess I'm late to the party as I only read about this today. Initially shocked but then think not really surprising with the shift to streaming. Next big announcement will be Netflix closing their DVD/BR disc service. Now that really will be a SAD day.
Back to top
kal
Forum Administrator



Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 16793
Location: Ottawa, Canada

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56


PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
Next big announcement will be Netflix closing their DVD/BR disc service. Now that really will be a SAD day.

An article from a little over a year ago: https://qz.com/877829/netflix-nflx-hasnt-forgotten-about-its-4-3-million-dvd-subscribers-its-giving-them-a-new-app/

"Netflix’s DVD subscriber base has thinned steadily over the past year. It dropped to 4.3 million during the third quarter of last year, down from 5 million subscribers in the same period in the previous year. By way of comparison, the streaming business had about 47.5 million subscribers in the US and 86.7 million globally.

The New York Times reported (paywall) last year that Netflix engineers have been working behind the scenes to strengthen customer service and find more efficient ways to process the millions of DVDs that are returned, sorted, and shipped each week. The company reportedly has no plans to shutter the business.

“If you cut back on service, you are going to lose your subscriber base,” Hank Breeggemann, general manager of Netflix’s DVD division, told the publication. “Expect us to continue to ship DVDs for the foreseeable future."


This article mentions that it's expected they'll shut it down within the next 5 years: http://bgr.com/2017/01/20/netflix-dvd-rentals-subscribers/

Kal

_________________

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
Back to top
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz




Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Posts: 11382
Location: Fort Collins, CO


PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they shut down DVDs, we lose access to a lot of content. A lot of movies &etc are only available on DVD. I would think they'd be pretty hesitant to completely lose all that content. But if it's only 10% or less of their customer base...
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum