Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Some input please

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mendo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Some input please Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
In the last few months my buddies and I have been watching and enjoying my G90 I purchased from Curt a few years ago. He drove down, did a quick set up, and I haven't touched the settings since save for some convergence touching-up. The picture is incredible. It's a small screen (can't remember off-hand) but about 90-100" if memory serves. Other than a touch of softness, I can't complain. It is crazy film like. The projector doesn't have to work real hard with the smaller screen and near-complete blackness of the room.

I'm about to buy a new Oppo 203 bluray machine to replace the aging Panny in the system. It has quite a few more settings than the Panny. Could somebody guide me here on what to select for the output frequency, color space etc? I'm an analog audio guy, so the video stuff is relatively foreign for me. Lastly, will this thing be of any benefit:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/vertex-4k60-444-600mhz/

FWIW, the G90 has a Moome card. Thanks a bunch. I know there a fewer of you CRT junkies every year, but the knowledge of you've all acquired is mind-boggling. Lastly, I need to do the fan mods. The thing is LOUD.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i use 1080p@60 with 10-bit and 4:2:0

You can also use 1080@24 but you then need a scaler to do 48,72 or 96Hz.

cheers
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly recommend a professional calibration using a high quality pro grade colorimeter. It transformed my picture. I'm also running 1080/72 through a Lumagen XE+, which again bumped performance noticeably. That softness you mentioned is virtually gone when viewing high-quality transfers. My source is an Oppo 105D. The G90 can really sing when its set up properly to maximize its capabilities. btw I'm projecting onto a smallish 100" diag screen too,in a fully light controlled room.
Mendo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ElTopo and HaydnG90. Those responses are very helpful. I think much of the softness is because of the focal distance of the material more than anything. When I watch excellent film transfers or HD video and the focus is sharp and the subject is "near" it looks pretty sharp I must say. Its picture reminds me of a giant version of my Sony 34" XBR-960 CRT 16:9 tv. I lsp loved the picture on that set. It and the G90 have a depth that my calibrated Panny Plasma (last of them) doesn't and it has a picture that's only bettered by the new OLEDs. While the new OLEDs I know have near-perfect blacks I wonder if that perceived depth has improved?

Lastly, I would love to have somebody calibrate this thing. If anyone knows of anybody in the SF bay area that has the skill and desire let me know. I am 2 hours north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Thanks again guys for the input.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendo wrote:
Lastly, I would love to have somebody calibrate this thing. If anyone knows of anybody in the SF bay area that has the skill and desire let me know. I am 2 hours north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Thanks again guys for the input.

I'd recommend doing it yourself. Step by step guide: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Want it completely automated so that you can run it to more data points and do it as the tubes age? See: http://www.curtpalme.com/Radiance.shtm

Specifically these sections on the page:

What is Radiance automatic calibration?
Why use Radiance automatic calibration?
How does Radiance automatic calibration work?

Cheers!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Mendo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, you got me. I'm going to go for the DIY calibration, The Radiance looks incredible, but a little too rich for me right now. I think with your excellent right-up I can do this. Do I need to get into the expert mode menu, or just the standard menu?

While I've got an expert captive audience, what causes the vertical streaking I'm seeing in light sky scenes?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendo wrote:
Kal, you got me. I'm going to go for the DIY calibration, The Radiance looks incredible, but a little too rich for me right now. I think with your excellent right-up I can do this. Do I need to get into the expert mode menu, or just the standard menu?

Not sure actually, as I've never owned a Sony. You'll need access to the Bias and Gain controls and few other things. I don't think they're too deeply hidden.

Not sure about the streaking issue.

Kal

Mendo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal. I'll do some searching or ask about the streaking in a different thread.

Just noticed your brewing guide. How I've never gotten deeply into that hobby I'll never know. I love beer.

Cheers,

Matt
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best to ask mike parker or craig rounds about the streaking, the 1292 showed plenty and the g90 in lesser degree i suppose but youll need modified board(s) to eliminate this.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the guy that use to make the 1292 streaking mod chips?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
What happened to the guy that use to make the 1292 streaking mod chips?

My guess is that he got so rich on those mods, that he is sitting on his money and don't looking back at CRT projectors anymore... Laughing

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Mendo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

I was sitting down to order up the calibration disc you linked above and am a bit confused. The calibration disc is a bluray disc which contains the test patterns, correct? Then in the link you provided it says that you need a Windows machine for the software. Why the bluray disc and the computer software both? Doesn't the bluray calibration disc have all the the test patterns? Do you use them in combination? Sorry I'm not figuring this out–I even read through the calibration thread all the way through.

Matt
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendo wrote:
I was sitting down to order up the calibration disc you linked above and am a bit confused. The calibration disc is a bluray disc which contains the test patterns, correct?

Correct.

Quote:
Then in the link you provided it says that you need a Windows machine for the software.

Correct. ChromaPure software (the software that reads and graphs what your meter sees) runs in Windows.

Quote:
Why the bluray disc and the computer software both? Doesn't the bluray calibration disc have all the the test patterns? Do you use them in combination? Sorry I'm not figuring this out–I even read through the calibration thread all the way through.

You use a meter to meter light levels. It plugs into your computer that runs the ChromaPure is software that graphs/measures these light levels.

You use a pattern disc in your Blu-ray player to display patterns on your display for the meter to read.

Kal

Mendo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, as soon as I posted I figured it out. For some reason I thought the light meter might give stand alone readings that you could reference in a table somewhere. Kal, I would like to buy you a beer!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for a beer! But if you'd like to buy a calibration package of ChromaPure plus the best meter in the industry (the Display 3 PRO) see here: http://www.curtpalme.com/ChromaPure.shtm

Though if you do end up brewing your own per my http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ guide, I'll take one of those! Wink

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: