Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony VPH G90 - are these hours credible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Sony VPH G90 - are these hours credible? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

In a 2nd hand store I stumbled over a G90.

I could test the unit, without a video source. I managed to get in service mode and read out the hours. To my surprise, total operating was only 1300hrs, and each tube showed just 70hrs. As good as new. But is this credible? With so few hours I would have expected total operating hours and tube hours being identical. Or else they changed tubes at 1230hrs??

Looking throught the lenses with a flashlight did not reveal any mask on the tubes. The unit is running very quiet.

What do you CRT guys think of that? The seller wants something like 500$

regards
Martin
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been in standby mode for most of its life. Not uncommon in a corporate boardroom installation. If the tubes are clean, and it fires up, it's a good deal for $500.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony VPH G90 - are these hours credible? Reply with quote

Apfelmousse wrote:
Hi,

In a 2nd hand store I stumbled over a G90.

I could test the unit, without a video source. I managed to get in service mode and read out the hours. To my surprise, total operating was only 1300hrs, and each tube showed just 70hrs. As good as new. But is this credible? With so few hours I would have expected total operating hours and tube hours being identical. Or else they changed tubes at 1230hrs??

Looking throught the lenses with a flashlight did not reveal any mask on the tubes. The unit is running very quiet.

What do you CRT guys think of that? The seller wants something like 500$

regards
Martin

If the unit was sitting in standby for long periods it's possible for that to happen. The tube condition is the main concern and if it looks good then offer them $350 and see what happens;-) If you have the proper allen/hex drivers you can remove the screws holding the lenses on and it will be much easier to evaluate the tube faces. At that price point you could part out the projector and make your money back so looks like a good deal.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, so standby accounts for operating hours. Didn't know that.

It could be... the seller does not know much about the unit except it came from a car dealers showroom, but must have been de-installed some while ago.

Thanks for your help!

regards
Martin
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing is get a new Dallas chip for it. if you can't find one there, I have them here. Mandatory so you don't burn a hole in the tubes.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find.
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
First thing is get a new Dallas chip for it. if you can't find one there, I have them here. Mandatory so you don't burn a hole in the tubes.

I read the threads about it. I think these are the same chips I have in my Tektronix DSA, ticking bombs as they say. But OK until now.

The G90 was produced until 2003, right? So the Dallas will have at least 15 years by now. Is it possible for this chip to still function normally after 15 years?

Nevertheless, according to what I read so far the burning of tubes does not seem to be linked to a memory loosing its content...

regards
Martin
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this information from another menu? Is it an older or a later model?

Serial: 2000065
SW: 1.11

Thanks!
Martin
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what I read, all this info (serial, hours, etc.) are in the Dallas chip. When this chip fails it usually makes the projector inoperable.

But can a weakening Dallas also randomly alter its data?

regards
Martin
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change the Dallas chip.

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apfelmousse wrote:
But can a weakening Dallas also randomly alter its data?

Yes, that's possible: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVRAM
Be aware that changing the chip isn't just a simple swap: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9611
Make sure that You buy one with a fresh datecode! Otherwise the battery inside may already have lost some of its charge just by sitting on the shelf...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chip has a lithium battery in it, and if it reaches a critical low voltage while the set is on, the tubes can spot burn. Craig Rounds and I have seen this numerous times over the years. As Barclay says, don't buy a chip off ebay, I've seen a lot of old stock there. I bought my last few in Nov 2017, so mine are really fresh, from 2017.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apfelmousse wrote:
What about this information from another menu? Is it an older or a later model?

Serial: 2000065
SW: 1.11

Thanks!
Martin

Date (month/year) will be stated on the serial number plate below one of the rear grab handles. Your's is an earlier SN so most like from 1999. Must change that Dallas chip. Fakes are in the market so only buy from a reputable source like Curt or Mouser etc
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

thanks for all the infos.

One more question: what is the "remote control"? From what I saw in the documentation it looks very much like the thing build in the projector. Can this be taken out somehow and act as remote control, or is the "remote control" a separate item?

regards
Martin
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote is a separate unit, and a bit hard to find nowadays.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one in Japan:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/G142-Sony-RM-PJ1001-Projector-Remote-Control/152885574199?hash=item2398b0ba37:g:xTUAAOSwCMtaapmr

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Apfelmousse

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I made the deal... 350 Euros. For now the monster is sitting in the car, waiting for enough personnel to be moved out & upstairs for testing.

Question: During transport, can I put the unit vertically with its weight on its handles, lenses down? I want to use our elevator, but its not large enough for the beamer. I also could put it on its side.

For the remote control: I saw an offer on Ebay with the same looking remote for a totally different beamer.
Whats that?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/SONY-Muliscan-Projector-VPH-D50QM-Beamer-Projektor-fast-neu-wenig-gebraucht/192283280730?hash=item2cc4fa055a:g:w~QAAOSwMf1ZmXWd

regards
Martin
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats probably a RM-PJ1000. Looks similar but misses some controls that the G90 needs. You want the 1001 version

Personally i would not rest the G90 on the front unless you removed the lenses first. You might want to do this anyway since a lot of the chassis weight is the lenses. Resting the pj on its side will not be problem.

Good deal at ~$400 if your YA board is good and the hours are correct with negligible burn in on the green tube.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one will work, although I have them for $120 USd incl shipping, which should be less.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not let the sun shine into the lenses or it will burn a trail in your C-elements! Keep them covered.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: