Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

BarcoVision 508 dead, what logical things to check

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrF

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: BarcoVision 508 dead, what logical things to check Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all, new here, I've had some contact with Kal years ago about trying to buy a moome hdmi card for my Barco mistakenly (as in I thought 508=mostly same as 808) but thats about it so far apart from lurking, until now.
I have currently a Barco 508, the non Barco weird badged Barco, with the passive cooling. I've had it for 10 years now when it replaced a barco vision600 that expired, and its been ok, but last week it seemed to go blurred on the right hand of the screen area and the convergence went bad, and yesterday I turned it all on, and it started to display, then I heard a squeal from the case and it shut down, now it wont light up at all. I know how to get the internal menus to generate a signal to display them even when no external signal is present, although I've fed it a composite and had the sync led light up to indicate its getting good input still also.

I've de-cased it in situ on the mount (I can take pics if anyone is interested in what the chassis looks like, as its such a oddball), and there's no steady red lights indicating that there is a issue or rail missing, the green leds are all lit solid also, and the very rear of the tubes are very faintly glowing. There is one red led which flicks during boot up, but that extinguishes after a instant, and I read that with other barco's a red led is only bad if it stays on. As I have no detail on this oddball chassis I have no idea if the same applies, or if the markings on the leds map the same meanings or anything.

So the question becomes, does anyone have any suggestions on how to check it out further before declaring it dead? Pull the ht connections to each tube in sequence in case one tube is shorting out or something?

Yes I'd really like to upgrade it, I'm chasing a sony 1292 and looking at a barco 1208 both of which will be considerable upgrades for this unit and I'll be able to go to hdmi instead of the composite which doesn't cut it for modern use, although budgets are *really* tight right now so if I can get it going and use it for a few more months while I scrape together funds that would be awesome.

Any ideas from people? I have a oscilloscope and meter, though I'm not overly familiar with crt circuitry innards.

Last edited by MrF on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUt of the 1000s of CRT projectors I've worked on, the 508 is one I've never seen before, as it was not sold in North America, and not many were sold in Europe.

About all I can offer is to check the power supply voltages first, and disconnect the loads to see if there is a short on one of the power supply lines.

Other than that, chase other CRT projectors, as the Vision designation indicates that the 508 does not scan very high, and in all likelihood, will not display even 720p.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - The BarcoVision 508 is limited to 576i as the max scanrate is 15.6Khz:

http://www.curtpalme.com/PJSpecs_Barco.shtm

Brochure/Spec sheet: http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/BarcoVision508_Brochure.pdf

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else read this tittle and think: "Where did all those people die?!" Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Anyone else read this tittle and think: "Where did all those people die?!" Laughing

I certainly did!! Very Happy Laughing
MrF

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to disappoint but in my defence it is on topic in the CRT forum, I guess it was the 508 being so little known that threw people. In retrospect, perhaps a title of "Barco 508" might have been better Smile
edit, I've fixed the title now if the above line creates confusion to new readers.

Curt, I am chasing but want to step up to something from your "mid range" list, I've had the low end sets too many years now and its time to trade up a little. HDMI would be really nice, I've mostly used it to display kodi boxes and older games consoles which composite suited perfectly, but now I have later generation consoles in my collection too, its getting harder to read the dialogues.
This 508 came from a small ad in Paris and we drove up and picked it up but I have no idea how it got there, it just came up at the right time when my 600 let out the magic HT smoke. I believe it has about 2500 hours on the tubes last time I checked the counters.

For the meantime, I've checked the voltage rail test points and they are all ok. The only possible thing I have noticed from observations is the clear neck of the blue gun looks really discoloured and completely different to the red and green tube appearances so maybe its leaked and shorted out internally, I pulled the annode ht connection but that has had no effect so II'm thinking the next step is to pull that tube. Would it be ok to fire the projector up with no load at all on the blue tube circuits to sink into?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the blue neck card off, isolate it so it's not shorting on anything and see if the projector will fire up.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrF wrote:

Curt, I am chasing but want to step up to something from your "mid range" list, I've had the low end sets too many years now and its time to trade up a little. HDMI would be really nice, I've mostly used it to display kodi boxes and older games consoles which composite suited perfectly, but now I have later generation consoles in my collection too, its getting harder to read the dialogues.
?

The list on the website is years old, and the pricing is out to lunch too, but to your advantage.

All I have in stock at this point are the Marquee 9500 Ultras and Barco 909s. They start at $1500 and go up from there.

I have about 5 Barco 909s, two are tentatively sold, so I really need to get those on the bench and fully tested.

in the meantime, do what Analog says above, that's the way to see if the set will fire up.
MrF

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue tube is isolated, but its still not doing anything different. I had a good look round inside, and removing some screws allows half the chassis to swing free of the main one, and that gives better access to boards etc although I'm proceeding super nervously so the HT doesn't bite me, I've had some dealings with crt arcade monitors to make me cautious of stored HT charges...

I also had a poke around the net, and should this benefit anyone else, the cine6 is apparently a later development of the 508 chassis, and I've been able to find the technical documentation for a cine6 on the internet here :-
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AGEIq1FwZ2KjYIM&cid=74FD44B1DCA0BC04&id=74FD44B1DCA0BC04%21462&parId=74FD44B1DCA0BC04%21461&action=locate

I'm slowly going through the technical details in the iso and it does indeed have the boards mentioned in the locations the same as the cine6, so its looking more promising. I may be able to fault find a bit better now with some more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: