Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Loud Pop now Red gain really high! Runco DTV-943 (SOLVED)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
that1crzywhtguy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Loud Pop now Red gain really high! Runco DTV-943 (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm afraid for my beloved projector!

This is going to be a bit of an odd one to describe, but bear with me if you will. To skip to the end a touch, it seems to be okay right now, but I'm very fearful of long-term problems.

Okay, so here is the whole story:

I've been having a lot of fun with my Runco lately, and it's been getting a bit more use lately. I've never used it heavily (i've only put maybe 200 hours on it max of a total 3200hrs), and I've always been very careful with it. Well, I've never been totally happy with how well the blue lens focused, but overall the picture has still been quite good. I had done some more reading, and found out about the focus pots on the inside. I also immediately read that I should be very careful not to touch the G2 pots, and not to get them mixed up. When I popped the cover open, I saw that Runco was nice enough to put a plastic guard that needs to be removed to even get to the G2 pots: smart. So, i fiddled with the blue, and VOILA! Super sharp and better than ever! So I proceeded to grab some sunglasses, and focus each pot looking right into the tube, then loosening the wingnuts and focusing the lenses. I was pleased as punch, because it looked better than ever.

So I sat down and started watching some TV for about ten minutes, when i heard a loud POP from the projector, and suddenly there was a red tint and red diagonal lines through my image! I of course kind of freaked, and shut it off. After a little while, i worked up the guts to turn it back on, but the issue was still present, and the red tint seemed to be almost pulsing. I got the cover open again, and thought it was a really big coincidence, but that it was time to inspect the G2 pots. I used a bit of nail polish to mark the starting positions, then turned the red down a bit. It seemed to look back to normal mostly, but then the red would pulse in a bit here and there. So I turned all three pots all the way down, and began to nudge the green up on a black screen till I saw it come in, and here I saw the diagonal lines in green too... not sure what those were coming from, but I edged it back down until it was dark again, then just a hair lower. Did the same for red and blue, and now it seems to be operating completely normal again, with the exception of a little red bloom when I shut the projector down. This last bit wouldn't be very concerning since I've seen this behavior very commonly in crt televisions and computer monitors, but I don't remember it doing this before.

That being said, thanks to my marks, I can see the red pot is set lower than it was before, while the green and blue ended up right where they were before. Although it seems to be operating normal now, I'm afraid to even run it, and just can't imagine what could have happened. I'm very concerned that something happened that has turned my poor baby into a ticking time bomb.

If anybody has ANY recommendations or experience or advice, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks so much in advance!

TL;DR: Loud pop noise resulted in red gain going way up. Turned gain down and picture is normal, but afraid of long term problems.

P.S. Here are some images of the symptoms.

This is the screen showing a black screen. As you can see, red is definitely on, as well as the weird diagonals.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MYJG7xxAxa1w6ND04GmyM7cco0ve8fuq

This is the screen showing a blue screen. As you can see, red is tinting it and showing diagonal lines.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pADuW8GMoyCtovVw6OnQAfmDa-sZ2WNB

And finally, here is the little red light bloom.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Erowe4Q1pOWt5Dy319k4DskCjfIrkafP

Last edited by that1crzywhtguy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, set your G2 pots properly, in the service menu. There are three green LEDS on the main RGB input board one for each color. IN the service menu, go into the G2 setting and adjust those G2 pots so that each green LED goes out. then see if you still have problems.

You had an HV arc somewhere that threw something off. It could be an arc right in the red tube, which is what I expect, and that changed the characteristics of the tube, throwing off the G2 balance.

It could also be a problem on the G2 board itself, or the red CRT socket/video amp, but most likely not.
that1crzywhtguy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
First, set your G2 pots properly, in the service menu. There are three green LEDS on the main RGB input board one for each color. IN the service menu, go into the G2 setting and adjust those G2 pots so that each green LED goes out. then see if you still have problems.

You had an HV arc somewhere that threw something off. It could be an arc right in the red tube, which is what I expect, and that changed the characteristics of the tube, throwing off the G2 balance.

It could also be a problem on the G2 board itself, or the red CRT socket/video amp, but most likely not.

Thanks for the reply!

I could not seem to locate the leds. Do I need to unscrew the boards to get to them?

Also I have another update, and this seems weird to me. I set the G2 pots back to their original positions this morning, and now the display seems back to normal at that position.

Best
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I think my guess is correct, you had an internal arc in the red tube, but that went back to normal now. That can happen due to impurities in the tube, don't worry about it.

The green LEDs should be right on the motherboard, about 2"/5cm back from the RGB input connectors.
that1crzywhtguy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Then I think my guess is correct, you had an internal arc in the red tube, but that went back to normal now. That can happen due to impurities in the tube, don't worry about it.

The green LEDs should be right on the motherboard, about 2"/5cm back from the RGB input connectors.

Very glad it seems to be nothing to worry about! Phewth! Had a movie night planned tonight too. Very Happy

When I get home, I'll seek those LEDs again.

Best
that1crzywhtguy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that1crzywhtguy wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

Very glad it seems to be nothing to worry about! Phewth! Had a movie night planned tonight too. Very Happy

When I get home, I'll seek those LEDs again.

Best

Found those LEDs. They are buried within underneath the top boards. I determined you can see them from the back air vents if you're careful, and the adjustment can be made there carefully with a little neck craning.

All seems to be totally well now! About time for a screening of 2001! Can you belive that is my weekend homework? I love Cal lol. Thanks for your help and time Curt!

Cheers
that1crzywhtguy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime... Looks so good!!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18zSpBTGdIvFdFg7H5cPz-yhHDHpj8pSY/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NQ51FrCxmOT23n5dw6p00WGyPjfSW4w9/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q6hGtEXcMy3lbLNHUCIblY9ldFoxJw-8/view?usp=drivesdk
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: