Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cool old TV restoration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Cool old TV restoration Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
http://www.nappepin.com/predicta/predicta.htm

I was looking for an old Sony but stumbled upon this Philco instead. I want one Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of locating an old early 1970's Curtis Mathis (sP0 console TV to yank the tube and put a LCD or plasma flat panel in it. There would be enough room inside the cabinet for all of the components as well.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?

CRT.

HD done right!
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that would like a modern set, I invite you to look here:

http://www.cbelec.com/

Steep, though. But cool.

Marc

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is not working. Is that the right address?

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Why?
Nostalgia.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
The link is not working. Is that the right address?

Yep, just clicked on it to check.

Marc

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
I was thinking of locating an old early 1970's Curtis Mathis (sP0 console TV to yank the tube and put a LCD or plasma flat panel in it. There would be enough room inside the cabinet for all of the components as well.

You know, I have been thinking along the same lines. They just don't build real quality furniture anymore. I'd LOVE to have one of those solid wood consoles and just update the guts. Those were truly beautiful pieces. Now everything is silver plastic.

Marc

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is/was a guy that sells original rebuilt Predictas on eBay. Haven't looked for him for a while, he might even be the guy in the top link given here. BUt he knew his stuff. Average price was about $750 USD and worth every penny.

I actualy had one that I worked on when I saw in elementary school. I threw it out or sold it cheaply just like the Leak monoblock tube pre/power amp that someone GAVE me way back when.

If I had kept everything I sold at a flea market for cheap in the 70s that's worth a small fortune now, I'd be rich.

I'd also need a 100,000 square foot warehouse....
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
There is/was a guy that sells original rebuilt Predictas on eBay. Haven't looked for him for a while, he might even be the guy in the top link given here. BUt he knew his stuff. Average price was about $750 USD and worth every penny.

I actualy had one that I worked on when I saw in elementary school. I threw it out or sold it cheaply just like the Leak monoblock tube pre/power amp that someone GAVE me way back when.

If I had kept everything I sold at a flea market for cheap in the 70s that's worth a small fortune now, I'd be rich.

I'd also need a 100,000 square foot warehouse....

You and me both, Curt.

Where is that "slamming head into a wall" emoticon?

And let's not even touch on all my comic books I had that my grandparents gave away when I came to the US. Yeah, I'd be retired now.

Marc

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey the links working. Some very nice TV's there.

Sorry to hear about your comic collection. Mines lost too. I had some great ones.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh too bad they are sourcing RCA parts. I'd love to have somehting like that with some of the 1999-2003 CRT tubed sets with the built in line doublers.

Then again a flat tube on that base wouldn't look quite right would it?

CRT.

HD done right!
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RCA/Proscan sets had line doublers. So it could have.

Marc

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I forgot about those. Actually I remember the Proscan 38" CRT a local store had one. I hated the curved tube but the picture was awesum.

CRT.

HD done right!
Glenn Waters

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:

Shocked Do not do this to a Curtis Mathes Console, they all can be restored. 1960's Curtis Mathes Consol Entertainment Center. Gutted, (no T.V., Stereo, or Reel to Reel). Beautiful piece. Well preserved. 86 Inches length x 23w x 28.5 heightHere are two console, one saved one gutted. 1960's Curtis Mathes Console Entertainment Center, with a beautiful T.V., Stereo, and Reel to Reel. Beautiful piece. Well preserved, and working great. 86 Inches length x 23w x 28.5 height.
Check out my web page.

http://curtismathes.webs.com/

Here is a 1961 console I restored in the videos below:
The Eton, made in 1960, Curtis Mathes Console, Black and White TV
http://youtu.be/Ck5HWfZKcpM

Inside the 1960 Curtis Mathes Console, Three in One, Television, AM-FM Radio, and Turntable
http://youtu.be/c5KablRwCLY

1960 Curtis Mathes Console, Three in One Television, AM-FM Radio, and Turntable
http://youtu.be/tZBiDXTBBac

After I graduated from College in 1982 and I worked for Zenith in their radio design department, and also did some freelancing work for Curtis Mathes in Console design from the years 1982 to 1984. It was always a joy to help lay out a new console television design and see it take form. There was always much more freedom in design at Curtis Mathes so by the mid 1980’s I worked for them exclusively. I worked for the Curtis Mathes Company exclusively from the years 1986 to 1991 as a console television and stereo designer.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cool Glenn!!!

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Glenn! We're about the same age, and followed a bit of the same path. I worked for a mom and pop TV store from 1981 to 1987, then part time until 1989, and I repaired an estimated 10,000 sets in that time, that's all I did, 7 days a week, about 12 hours a day. (and you wonder why I've got THIS website going. Razz)

We were Zenith dealers, then Hitachi, and as you did, we saw the quality of sets go from tanks as you picture above, to complete garbage in the course of 10-15 years.

My understanding is that Curtis Mathes shut down simply because the woodwork was too well done, but that was the urban legend we got up here...
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Nice Glenn! We're about the same age, and followed a bit of the same path. I worked for a mom and pop TV store from 1981 to 1987, then part time until 1989, and I repaired an estimated 10,000 sets in that time, that's all I did, 7 days a week, about 12 hours a day. (and you wonder why I've got THIS website going. Razz)

We were Zenith dealers, then Hitachi, and as you did, we saw the quality of sets go from tanks as you picture above, to complete garbage in the course of 10-15 years.

My understanding is that Curtis Mathes shut down simply because the woodwork was too well done, but that was the urban legend we got up here...

Very Nice Glen!...I hated those when someone wanted them in a basement.

Curt,
I don't think that was what happened to CM, near the end they sold sets with a 5 or 6 year warranty. They had some issues and got slammed with warranty claims that did them in.

It was a little earlier for me 1974 to about 1983, I was more of an outside man (I ran house calls) the guy that owned the shop was also the bench tech. If I remember correctly the tube CM color sets were clones of an RCA design.

I worked mostly tube set, solid state was so new they rarely needed repair at the time. I could change a flyback in one of the old RCA chassis in about 5 minutes, to replace a CRT took a half hour to 45 minutes. It was good money at that time, I made enough to buy a new Corvette when I was 19...Worked a lot of OT, good ole time and a half.

Then computers came along and I found them more interesting.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy It was in 1972 that Curtis Mathes was the first manufacturer to offer a completely solid-state product line, with an unprecedented four-year warranty. In 1975 Curtis Mathes, Jr. purchased the company from the shareholders. In 1978 Curtis Jr. began demonstrating what would become another hallmark of the Company: heavy use of advertising to position and promote products. That year, an $18 million advertising investment yielded sales of more than $152 million. Millions of Americans came to know that Curtis Mathes was..."The most expensive television in America, and darn well worth it!" Below is a photograph of the Curtis Mathes plant in Athens Texas.
In the year 1979 Curtis Mathes established ColorTyme, a home entertainment rental company, to meet the increasing demands for quality home entertainment equipment. In the years 1982 the Company began franchising its name across the country, the corporate headquarters were moved from Athens to Dallas and the Company’s manufacturing plant in Athens, Texas was sold. Then in 1988 the entire Company was sold and relocated back in Athens. During the period I worked for the company the Athens plant became the center of television and stereo production for the entire company. This was a awesome time in the history of our nation, back before our once proud and powerful electronics industries were outsourced to the markets of Asia. Now because of the greed and stupidity of a few men not one television or stereo is made in North America. Below is a photograph of the Curtis Mathes plant in Athens Texas. The huge plant is now empty and has not been used in years, very tragic. Also in the two photos below are the beautiful Color console from Charlie Trahan, he has a awesome collection she is a 1966 Curtis Mathes TV/Stereo.

After I graduated from College in 1982 and I worked for Zenith in their radio design department, and also did some freelancing work for Curtis Mathes in Console design from the years 1982 to 1984. It was always a joy to help lay out a new console television design and see it take form. There was always much more freedom in design at Curtis Mathes so by the mid 1980’s I worked for them exclusively. I worked for the Curtis Mathes Company exclusively from the years 1986 to 1991 as a console television and stereo designer.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered Packard Bell...(Not the computer company in the early 90's) to be a competitor for CM, their woodwork was along the same side as Curtis Mathias. PB was bigger on the west coast I think, where CM was more midwestern.

Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: