Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G2 Pin snapped on a 180DVB tube. Yep. Came right out. Ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
listenlounge

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: G2 Pin snapped on a 180DVB tube. Yep. Came right out. Ideas? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
As it says.
I was having trouble with G2 on BLUE on my Marquee hybrid. It has older tubes in it and one day - big bright blue screen. Checked the settings, switched the neck board out, switched the HVPS, no effect. Then one day - boom! It all came back to normal so I left it. Fine for a year or so, then the other day - it came back. I started looking for loose connections and discovered the problem. When I pulled the G2 lead off the tube - the pin came with it.

Holy Moly.

Anyone seen this or have ideas to fix it. It's a 10/10 tube and whilst I have another brand new one, I do not feel like pulling the dang thing off the roof to switch out the tube.

WAY too lazy for that.

Thx for any suggestions
listenlounge

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Addendum Reply with quote

I've pulled out my spare tube and had a look - it's not the whole pin that is out, just the top bit, presumably only up to the glass envelope as I'm sure I would have heard the rush of air into the tube if it had come right out. Not to mention the length of the pin that I can see both inside the tube connector and then inside the glass is easy longer than what has come out.

I was thinking about removing all the tube neck hardware and trying to reinsert the pin until i feel it mate, then epoxy it in place. I'd probably abrade the snapped end too, to remove any corrosion and increase the chance of it mating internally with lower resistance.

Thoughts?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a very common issue, for sure...
The best idea I can come up with is to use electrically conductive glue (whatever brand you have down there) to make an electrical contact between the fractured parts, but these glues in fact do not excell in mechanical strength, so you should apply a little epoxy to the outer collar too.
Keep your work clean and "concentrated" with the conductive glue as you may want to avoid later HV leaks as G2 may contain voltages up to 1kV.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen this before, and never have been able to repair it. If all else fails, I should have a good blue tube here for cheap.
listenlounge

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents
Going to try the repair a few different ways but if I have no luck, I'll drop it off the roof and replace it with my new tube, then buy a spare from you, Curt.
Curt, I don't suppose you have a picture of a 180dmb or dvb tube neck without it'd collar on? Just interested to see what I'm up against. I suspect i'm aiming at a needle in a haystack....

Cheers
cdsnyder

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pogo pin is just the right diameter for a socket, but about 5mm too long. Depends on how deep you'd have to go though. Did you say that pin has its own lead though? The length problem goes away but you'd have to find a way to hold it in place. I've sanded down the tip to a needle point to get through solder mask to get at programming pins.. love these little things.

Other than that, I don't know.. If enough of the pin is still sticking through the glass you can try to crimp a bare female pin connector around it to extend a new pin. Then secure with epoxy.

Good luck.

DSC_5863.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.2 KB
 Viewed:  3645 Time(s)

DSC_5863.JPG

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've replaced the plastic socket on a good number of tubes. It's always siliconed on. To remove it, get an x-acto knife with the sharp angled standard blade. Better yet, get two or more of them.

Use it to cut the silicone between the socket and the glass between pins and take your time at it. Stick the blade in where you can, push it in until you feel hard resistance, rotate the blade to cut what it can touch. Remove the blade and stick it between the next two pins and repeat.
Turn the blade over so as to get the silicone cut from both directions.

Now use two thin blades on both sides at once and gently pry the socket up, taking care to pull the socket up EVENLY. Never force it.

STOP if you feel even the slightest CRUNCH. If you do, recut the silicone and reposition your prying tools and try again. Gentle consistent pressure works better than a brief hard push.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I would try something like putting a dot of solder on the pin part left in the tube. Put on the neckboard. Insert the copper wire from the back and heat till it melt to the solder on the part in the tube ???

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I only would recommend using mechanical solutions. The tube pins don’t take any solder and the tube neck could break due to punctual thermal stress.
Usually, the adjacent pin to the G2 pin is unused and not connected to anything inside the tube. If after removing the plastic socket there’s enough material left, you could use very thin wire and connect the two pins by putting it around them in an ‘8’ shape. Then you could remount the plastic socket and it would keep the wire in place...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea: Get a crimp-on straight pin for a DB series connector, or other connector pin that has roughly the right ID for the broken pin, assuming there's enough to grab, and that has a tip size that's appropriate for the flying lead. Very carefully crimp it onto the end of the broken pin using a pair of needle nose pliers or, probably better, a set of cheap diagonal cutters with very carefully blunted jaws so they crush without cutting.

If you have just 1/8 of an inch of available pin, I don't see why this wouldn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: