Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 8000 horizontal linearity

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdsnyder

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Marquee 8000 horizontal linearity Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all. Been using this marquee 8000 for around 6 years. Haven't registered until now because I always found enough info through your site to solve my own problems up until now. Thanks for the great site!

I recently took my projector down off the ceiling to replace a tube. Everything went fine, but I'd like to solve another problem that I've just tolerated up until now.

Attached is a test pattern. All projector settings are nulled, no blanking. I only set the flare/astig/focus on the green tube. The distance between vertical lines starts wide on the left and gradually gets closer together on the right. The right side horizontal scan also seems to stop short of the full image width, and there is a bright bar on the last "pixel" column (doesn't show up well in pictures). In the past I've just set the blanking to 1 and it gets hidden. This is true of all 3 colors.

I usually have to either shift the image on the raster or shift the screen. If I put the test grid center point on the screen center point, then the left side hangs over the border and the right side comes up short. The screen is aligned pretty close to perfect (and besides, the linearity problem can be seen on the tube face).

Is this fixable? Or just something to put up with for owning a mid-tier CRT?

DSC_5843.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.45 KB
 Viewed:  2675 Time(s)

DSC_5843.JPG

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sure the bright line on the edge is normal for a 8000.
As for the linearity, while everything at midpoint see if unplugging the corresponding convergence yoke makes any difference? If not, then it's the HDM.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What about using the horizontal linearity controls in the geometry menu?
Or is it that the 8000 doesn‘t have them?
In this case, a chassis upgrade to a 9500 would be a big plus...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
Hi,

What about using the horizontal linearity controls in the geometry menu?
Or is it that the 8000 doesn‘t have them?
In this case, a chassis upgrade to a 9500 would be a big plus...

Regards,
barclay66

Indeed the Horizontal linearity adjustments were introduced with the CLM V3.3 software, which was well past M8000 times.

cdsnyder

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:

Indeed the Horizontal linearity adjustments were introduced with the CLM V3.3 software, which was well past M8000 times.

Yep, no horizontal. I got excited when I saw a screenshot somewhere that had vertical and horizontal and thought I hadn't noticed it while looking at the backwards image on my tube face. Alas, there was only vertical.

Removing convergence didn't help. I can live with it. I might be upgrading soon! Thanks gjaky and barclay.

Chris
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can also put the 8" tubes right into your 9500 chassis with the mounting plates from the 8000 until (if ever) you replace the 9" tubes, this is something like a 1 hour work (not including projector mounting issues)
cdsnyder

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I didn't know I could do that. I've had this 9500 chassis sitting in a closet for 3 years with the 8000 on the ceiling. I might be getting 9" tubes, but it's good to know I can make an improvement either way. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: