Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who's left in 2018?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My Cine 9 does a great job in combination with the Oppo 203 and UHD's

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still using my 1209s several times a week. Seriously looking at digitals now, but so far it has been more "different" than "better". I liked the new Sony 760 though. My first impressions very that the flow is very similar to what I like with CRT.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Crossing over to the darker side....JVC DLA Reply with quote

I started with a Runco/NEC 933 set up with 720p. I thought NOTHING could be better....but then I got a Barco 1208, model the lenses and put in colored C elements....now NOTHING could be better......but then I got a Barco 1209 added a RED C element and was SURE nothing could be better.

Today I ordered a New JVC DLA RS-640.....because it is even better.

I still have all my CRTPJs in the living room which is one of the stipulations I have for spending this money on the JVC which will cost more than the combined total of all I spent on CRT PJs.....they ALL have to go.

Anyone interested in a perfectly good Runco/NEC 933 is free to pick it up.
The same goes for the 1208 which needs a couple boards fixed for minor issues (Curt can do it) and the power conditioner box (damned if I know what it does, but it no longer does it) Curt said it was a cheapie to replace.

Lastly my big baby. The 1209 with Moome HDMI card that I finally got to work properly for the 1209. This I am hoping to sell. It works great but needs some tweaks. I never was able to get neck astigmatism to focus like I liked and the red and possibly blue focus drivers don't seem to be making a lot of difference....easy fix there and still plays great without it.

Why the JVC?
- BETTER blacks (can ya believe it?)
- Quieter
- 4k or pseudo 4K
- much more defined resolution
- POP in the picture with dynamic range and all the latest technologies

I might miss all the tweaks and convergence issues though.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the JVC's but these are not the way to go at least for ne.

Iris pumping and so on.....

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
I will stay CRT, at least until I can be excited about an image on a screen that comes out a box fired using a lamp.

To include of course, be able to afford something better. Right now I still have a 9500LC on the ceiling that has been a huge problem in more ways than the many quirks this model has. It's a long story, that I promise I will open a thread one day and share where we are with things.

And though I've stopped my Mods sales, and not really thinking about firing up the soldering iron to do anymore on that. I still like this forum and hanging out here, to include many of the folk that I've come to know even going back to the early AVS days.

Age can bring a many wonders, as times goes on and you find yourself needing and requiring more medical help and support. I now have more than 6 decades on this earth, and would really like to squeeze a few more years out of life, and I've found these past years that both video and audio, music, etc. has gotten better. I have to also say to some degree, there is still a problem with both that can be irritating.

When they can get a digital or newer visual technology to be more life-like, its then I would feel more comfortable watching movies on it. It's been awhile since I've seen anything of the newer digitalis, but based on what I've heard from some, it's still not there yet. And until that happens, I'll just remain being content with CRT..Wink

I know what you mean by life like.I see LCD screens that almost all look like electronics signs. I actually have 10 years on you. To me the JVC 640 has a very cinema look to it. What I never like about digital was the pixelation versus the intrinsically smooth CRT look. Mine still looks really nice as it always has. The problem is that there is less POP in the image versus the JVC and with higher resolution it should be much better. I want to go to a larger screen. I am looking into a used Da-Lite 130" ceiling drop. The extra Lumens will be very useful for that as well.

While i have not taken the lens off the Barco, I see no apparent burn sweet spot in the center.When Curt speaks of 5000 hour life and I have 3500 now, I used to think that number was high.

Note also that eh Barco is very noisy. It is way better than the old Runco / NEC. At 35# the prospect of taking the JVC down and using it outside at night is a possibility. Still, I will miss the Barco. I will have it up together for a while while I sell it and can do comparisons...

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:

I have both the Cine 9 and the Jvc RS400/X5000.

Both CRT and a JVCs need experience and skilled expertise to get good.

I have seen many jvcs that have been set up by isf experts that look very bad. Many uses meters and get the graphs and charts look good, but that is not how it works. You have to know what exactly the adjustments does and use them accordingly.

Espcesically get the 0-5 ire area perfect, thats doable with modern JVCs, and the picture gets stupid good, with a gamma at 2.3 and 16 ft-l.

I uses Iris in the Auto 2 mode. With normal material I hardly see pumping, not any distracting at all. Of course with ending credits, you see the iris work.

I uses the Cine 9 some times for nostalgic reason (have had crts from late 80s, have had almost every model from every manufactor). But a correct calibrated JVCs are so leaps ahead in most every regards, blacks depths detail shadow detail so I dont use the Cine 9 very often.

But when I do uses it, I am very amazed that a projector designed in the late 90s can look that good, and crt have some aspects that do like very much (or maybe I am just nostalgic).

TV/Projector: Vidikron Vision 1 - Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still love my vision 1 and don’t see any reason to switch to digital now even though it’s quite affordable. Have 2sets as spares for everything.

Not going to retire my CRT for at least 2 years from now I think 😊

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pj-toso wrote:
ElTopo wrote:

I have both the Cine 9 and the Jvc RS400/X5000.

Both CRT and a JVCs need experience and skilled expertise to get good.

I have seen many jvcs that have been set up by isf experts that look very bad. Many uses meters and get the graphs and charts look good, but that is not how it works. You have to know what exactly the adjustments does and use them accordingly.

Espcesically get the 0-5 ire area perfect, thats doable with modern JVCs, and the picture gets stupid good, with a gamma at 2.3 and 16 ft-l.

I uses Iris in the Auto 2 mode. With normal material I hardly see pumping, not any distracting at all. Of course with ending credits, you see the iris work.

I uses the Cine 9 some times for nostalgic reason (have had crts from late 80s, have had almost every model from every manufactor). But a correct calibrated JVCs are so leaps ahead in most every regards, blacks depths detail shadow detail so I dont use the Cine 9 very often.

But when I do uses it, I am very amazed that a projector designed in the late 90s can look that good, and crt have some aspects that do like very much (or maybe I am just nostalgic).

I know I am going to have a bit of a learning curve with the JVC. CRTs are a massive learning curve but I at least had experience working on TVs in HS and a EE. That said, guys like Curt and Kal were very helpful as well as forum members.

It is getting harder to get convergence clean (need to do a ground up instal), astigmatism on the neck is a hell of a challenge (especially watching results while trying to avoid HVDC/AC), fundamental limits of the technology.... until now, with the JVC I have not seen anything affordable in digital that was actually better overall than my CRT.

I am really glad to hear that someone with a Cine 9 agrees. The 1209 was a $65k PJ new. When I bought it with 400 hours , used on eBay about 10 years ago for $1500 I knew it would be a winner and now over 3000 hours later I still love it....I hope I can find a new home for it.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still here and will be as long as I can keep a crt running. Havent checked local for sale pages in a long time but if someone in Finland is getting rid of their 12xx,9xx barcos or other 9 inch crt they can pm me.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaWsHaRk wrote:
Im still here and will be as long as I can keep a crt running. Havent checked local for sale pages in a long time but if someone in Finland is getting rid of their 12xx,9xx barcos or other 9 inch crt they can pm me.

I have a 1208s and a 1209. The 1209 is on the ceiling, the 1208 needs some minor repair. I am in the SF Bay area and would be happy to work a very nice deal to give them to a loving owner. Finland is fine as long as shipping can be worked out.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry wrote:
RaWsHaRk wrote:

I have a 1208s and a 1209. The 1209 is on the ceiling, the 1208 needs some minor repair. I am in the SF Bay area and would be happy to work a very nice deal to give them to a loving owner. Finland is fine as long as shipping can be worked out.

Shipping is the killer to Scandinavia. Yes, u can probaly find some for around 500 dollars, but then they havent factored in handling at arrival, and the will charge a hefty fee for handling the paperwork and a hefty storage fee for each day. Yes u can do the paperwork, but the u have to go to the loactions the day it arrives and go back and forth between handling location and the custom office. The total cost goes beyond 1000 dollars very fast.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In boating we have something called foot creep. The next larger boat has to be better. I go to movie theaters on soon to be bankrupt, less than I was promised for from Costco Moviepass, and I always say to my dear wife, this is not as good as our PJ. The diehard CRT people are flipping to digital. I say great! Let me have your stuff in the garbage can because you have digitalitis. Happiness in life is managed expectations, and I have been involved enough with electronics to know todays King is tomorrows serf. If you don't know what I mean, you are probably dumping your 909 and getting that Sony 885.

My 9 inch lens on an 808 chassis split pack has been a great deliverer on blu ray discs. Very, very happy with the less than perfectly sharp as a $50,000 Sony or $35,000 whatever JVC. It runs, it is not super duper full as you can be color spectrum latest technology digital projector. But I learned a long time ago it's all relative.

If I were getting in now, sure digital, but my old car, I mean CRT, runs and it gets me from point A to point B, and yes, your digital is way, way better than my old CRT, you are 100% correct, but I could care less.

Ha, maybe I care a very little, but not enough to shell out $25,000, for many reasons. Send me you 909 working used parts. Thank you very much. The parts that break down first I mean.
mamawaldee

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can't get my 1208/2 running again, I'll have to consider digital.
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gasser wrote:

Ha, maybe I care a very little, but not enough to shell out $25,000, for many reasons. Send me you 909 working used parts. Thank you very much. The parts that break down first I mean.

I'm with you. $25k is out of the question. But $3-5k isn't. That would put me in a very good used Sony or JVC PJ and a pretty good new Sony or JVC. But you don't have a reason to as you are still up and running.
Like you I was content with my crt until it died again and I didn't have the parts or the desire to get it working again. Then I was inspired to consider digital by a few other members here so I am. Looking for a used JVC or Sony but I am not in a hurry as my room is not back in order yet. So I'll be patient an wait for the deal I can't refuse.

Tim
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did -- bought a local RS45 for $800. There are lots of deals available on ebay.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a Runco LS5 or a JVC-RS45/46/56. Runco has more accurate color out of the box but isn't as good with contrast and is a single-chip DLP. Though it has a 6x color wheel and my Yamaha's 5x is barely visible to me.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a Runco LS5 or a JVC-RS45/46/56. Runco has more accurate color out of the box but isn't as good with contrast and is a single-chip DLP. Though it has a 6x color wheel and my Yamaha's 5x is barely visible to me.

My JVC RS56 colours were almost bang on out of the box. I could have been happy watching it uncalibrated. Of course that doesn't mean every unit will be the same...

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
modelaratrod

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG808s every day and the 9815 for a few movies a week.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

My JVC RS56 colours were almost bang on out of the box. I could have been happy watching it uncalibrated. Of course that doesn't mean every unit will be the same...

Kal

Right, but the RS-56 does allow you to calibrate the primaries because it has a CMS right? I think the 46 and 45 do not have that ability. I'm using a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 and while I think it throws a pretty decent image, the Yamaha's primaries were more correct and it spoiled me. Very Happy
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
That's what I did -- bought a local RS45 for $800. There are lots of deals available on ebay.

Hell of a projector for the money. That's what I love about the time that we live in. We live in an era in which digital projectors are "good enough" to have good contrast and color accuracy. Their convenience (most, if not all natively support 1080p/24, for example), on top of their flexibility are just icing on the cake. And all that for <$1000. Smile

And to clarify, I'm talking the used market. Obviously you ain't gonna buy anything in the league of an RS-45 for <$1000 brand new.

Another interesting thing of the time that we live in. Most entry-level ($1000 or less brand new) projectors cater to the "average viewer" crowd. They apparently like lots of pixels and lots of lumens - quality of the image be damned. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: