Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who's left in 2018?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
kal wrote:
Audio_Geek_00 wrote:
kal wrote:
Definitely! I think you'd be shocked coming from an 8", non-LC, non-EM focussed CRT projector and going to a JVC digital. I know I was and my CRT was a bit higher grade (LC and EM).

Kal

Good to know Kal. I knew my Sony was a bottom rung pj but had no reason to replace it while it ran. Time to explore.

I wouldn't call your CRT PJ 'bottom rung'. they can definitely through a nice pic.

I was in the same boat as you back in 2013 and was concerned that I'd be trading off image quality going from my 8" LC/EM machine to a JVC (as I'm fussy) and I had the opposite experience. You can read my findings here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32973

Kal

Thanks for the link. You have done your homework my friend.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Learnt a lot from writing a lot of content for this website. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Thanks! Learnt a lot from writing a lot of content for this website. Wink

Kal

I have gone through about the first 6 pages of posts on the link you provided. You have allayed my digital fears. I'll continue reading but the gist I get is that your happy and you know what your talking about so I'm good with that.

I have A 60" Sony SXRD 60A2000 RPTV that still puts out a sharp 1080P picture after 8+ years of service so I am familiar with LCOS performance. When I thought of changing to a digital PJ Sony or JVC seemed like the logical choice.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio_Geek_00 wrote:
... and you know what your talking about ...

My wife would beg to differ... Wink

Quote:
When I thought of changing to a digital PJ Sony or JVC seemed like the logical choice.

Yup. It was only Sony or JVC LCoS for me. I wasn't really considering anything else at the time.

Kal

Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Audio_Geek_00 wrote:
... and you know what your talking about ...

My wife would beg to differ... Wink

Kal

We'll just stay in the AV arena where we are safe from such ridicule Very Happy
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going all the way to the end. Da tubez have been good to me.
View user's photo album (21 photos)
loudmouse2

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just yesterday I took the lenses off the Runco IDP980 to prepare to remove it from the ceiling. Sad. I think it only has about 3000 hours on it and the tube faces looked ok, the green being the worst with some wear.

I had to rearrange the garage home theater to park a new car. I set up a old Sanyo LCD P.J. purchased from a member here that will have to do for now, but it's pretty awful. I can still get a movie in if I move the car to the driveway. Half thought about setting up the screen drive in style and sitting in the car for seating. Ha.

I will miss the CRT and it's luscious black levels and life like image.
Audio_Geek_00

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=

I will miss the CRT and it's luscious black levels and life like image.[/quote]

I know what you mean. It was sad when I took mine off the ceiling piece by piece so it was easier to remove, knowing that it wasn't going back together. I definitely had an emotional attachment to it. I wanted to give it a proper burial by totally dismantling it an recycling every part of it. Member's here bought the tubes and the Moome card. I couldn't give away the rest of it. After all that I got about $22 from the metal recyclers and zip for the electronic recycler. I felt it was a better end than throwing the whole thing in a dumpster.
loudmouse2

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to find someone that wants this one to run it.
I'll try a free craigslist ad for a week or two but I'll probably end up recycling it anyway.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the thread, but I use my G90 with Radiance PRO almost every day for at least an hour. But I'm like you Chris, I have a lot of inventory, plenty to last myself and clients for many years.

I plan to supplement with a digital soonish. I had planned to pick up a Sony 5000ES when the new models came out to help push the price of a refurbished 5000 down, but the connectivity issues with HDMI on the 5000 have sent me away so it will probably be another two years for me. At this point I think the only digital projector I have seen that looks better than CRT is a Sony 5000ES with a Radiance PRO... but it NEEDS the Radiance PRO to make it. The laser light engine in the 5000ES goes almost as dark as CRT even on full light output, but the projector with a Radiance PRO can do nearly perfect DCIP3 color space and fantastic HDR... along with 4k of course and about 5x the brightness of my G90. DCIP3 is a HUGE improvement over Rec709 and the 4k is icing on the cake (though I don't much care for HDR). The top JVC pseudo 4k projectors also look very nice, but not enough for me to dive in on one and the also really need a Radiance PRO.

For a time I liked the Barco Thor better than the 5000, but the black level just isn't where I want it... just not black. And at $300k the Thor is rather pricey Wink

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
Zolzar

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ride. Thanks to all that provided support over the years. As of this morning I no longer have a CRT projector in operation. I picked up a RS40 which for my situation right now is perfect.
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Late to the thread, but I use my G90 with Radiance PRO almost every day for at least an hour. But I'm like you Chris, I have a lot of inventory, plenty to last myself and clients for many years.

I plan to supplement with a digital soonish. I had planned to pick up a Sony 5000ES when the new models came out to help push the price of a refurbished 5000 down, but the connectivity issues with HDMI on the 5000 have sent me away so it will probably be another two years for me. At this point I think the only digital projector I have seen that looks better than CRT is a Sony 5000ES with a Radiance PRO... but it NEEDS the Radiance PRO to make it. The laser light engine in the 5000ES goes almost as dark as CRT even on full light output, but the projector with a Radiance PRO can do nearly perfect DCIP3 color space and fantastic HDR... along with 4k of course and about 5x the brightness of my G90. DCIP3 is a HUGE improvement over Rec709 and the 4k is icing on the cake (though I don't much care for HDR). The top JVC pseudo 4k projectors also look very nice, but not enough for me to dive in on one and the also really need a Radiance PRO.

For a time I liked the Barco Thor better than the 5000, but the black level just isn't where I want it... just not black. And at $300k the Thor is rather pricey Wink

craigr

Nice Craig, do you do a 3d lut calibration with the Radiance?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cine9 should go up to the ceiling soon.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:

craigr

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The first time I saw it the lack of on/off cr was horrifying. My friend Darinp was in the fetal position in the corner of the room crying "Is it 2003 again?'. Very Happy

I am not sure I could live with any pj that couldn't achieve at least 10k to 1 on/off cr.

Right now, I am using my LG OLED a lot and it is great watching movies and tv shows a second time. It isn't a big screen, but the picture is stunning.

For a treat on the G90, you might want to watch some of the 8k clips on youtube. Peru is well known along with the Timestorm films clips.
TbX

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold my 2 last 1209s so it is time for something new

Its time to hang a cine9 😀
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great descision.

Mine is in the ceiling now.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post in a long time. I still use my G70 at least once a week. It has been hanging in my living room for over 10 years and continues to provide a picture that more than satisfies anyone that has ever been invited over. I try and go to the cinema once a year but my wife and I really prefer to have friends over and watch movies here. Our movie group has been meeting here every 2 weeks from Sept. until May since 2008. The tubes are still in good shape and I can't afford a Radiance and a 4K digital unit yet. BTW; althought it can't do 4K, material shot in 4K looks especially good (ie: Planet Earth II)
View user's photo album (11 photos)
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just moved into a new apartment. I am using the projector every day at home. And my giant PC monitor is a tube. And my bedroom is a tube, etc etc.
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left CRT a long time ago to make the theater room more user friendly. The 9700UB was "good enough" at the time.

If it tells you anything.... I put 137 hours on my epson in what... 8 YEARS???

Now have a Roku running the whole thing... may actually watch something again. (Running PLEX)

I do have 5 plasma's though!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This thread's getting some long time members to come out of the woodwork - welcome back guys!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: