Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who's left in 2018?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Still here, VPH-G70 just won't die!

Seeing some slight burn/yellow on all white scenes, still not enough to replace it. Continues to get the job done!

larryp

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sony 1272 is still working fine. (knock on wood) I really enjoy it
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be interesting the hear the responses in 2028
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:

I wonder if in 2028 people will feel the same about any dated digital projectors as we do about CRT projectors?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly did - I saw lots of digitally from 2000 to 2006 or so when people were jumping from CRT and those digitals looked like absolute crap (in my eyes).
I saw some really expensive 50-250K+ home theatres at the time with absolutely phenomenal sound, rooms, and seating but man, did the picture ever suck compared to CRT! Horrible screen door, black levels that were really raised, and Contrast Ratios you could count on your fingers (or so it seemed).

It wasn’t until I saw a JVC RS-1 that I saw any potential. Screen door gone and a CR that wasn’t great but was closer to acceptable. It still wasn’t that great, but there was potential. Since then the improvements have been huge.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaydnG90 wrote:
The love affair still continues with my G90. I have a parts mule and a spare working YA so I'm covered for most eventualities. A move out of the country might bring an end to this romance.

Did you ever get Craig Rounds to calibrate it for you?

km987654 wrote:
HaydnG90 wrote:

I wonder if in 2028 people will feel the same about any dated digital projectors as we do about CRT projectors?

It is possible that a lot of pj owners have jumped to tile walls. Sony and Samsung have created huge video walls. When they can tile OLED walls for a decent price, then goodbye pj. I find it interesting that some pj owners are nostalgic for pjs like CRT owners are.
listenlounge

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one or two down under. I'm still running a VDC 9500 Ultra Chassis that curt picked up a year or two back (remember when he had those sets come in NOS with smashed tubes in transit? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ) with 8 inch 180 DVB tubes in it. The tubes are VDC rebuilds with only 200 hours on them - and I have another new spare set for when they go, plus spare boards for everything. Its got the HD145 lenses and the moome card - so I'm set for a bit.

That being said, and with it being ceiling mounted, I have no intention of changing it. Too damn hard. Plus it still throws a top picture. And I'm too stingy to fork out for a new PJ.

I have just had a small glitch, though, which I shall make the topic of a new post.... Stay posted.
ronaldus

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody body,

Happy new-year to all of you.

I'm still happy with my Marquee 9500LC. I've planned do to some work on it but it is still working fine.

Alltough the image not as sharp as the digitals I like the image because it's easy on your eyes.

Regards,

Ron.
View user's photo album (7 photos)
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still happy with my Barco 9 inch stuff that is a blend of all types (cinemax/splitpack/919) Smile I also bought three plasma panels lately. Two for spare parts and my plans are to watch CRT/plasma phosphor for the next 30 years.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from the Uk! I have a NEC 10PG showing around 1200 hours I've had set up coffee table (BIG coffee table!)
mounted for the the last few years, projecting onto an 8' stuwart 16:9 screen. I'm soon to be moving into my first
personally owned house as apposed to renting so I can finally tackle a ceiling mount installation! Cool
I think I will be using CRT for a while yet,I have some running backup machines, 2 Cine 7's, and a Graphics 808s
that is setup at a friends house where we have movie nights. (much more space round his) people are aways taken
aback at the sheer size of the projectors but then also say good things about the picture quality, CRT projectors
seem very thin on the ground in the UK now, I think the most common machines I've seen are Barco 70x/Cine 7.
Here's a picture of my 10PG waiting to move house. I painted it in 2k gloss black when I first got it as it was
already matt black but not very nice!

NEC 10PG.jpg
 Description:
NEC PG10000G
 Filesize:  176.13 KB
 Viewed:  6961 Time(s)

NEC 10PG.jpg

_in_peace_

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a three beamer LED in the future? Mr. Green 3 bulbs gives more 3D?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_in_peace_ wrote:
What about a three beamer LED in the future? Mr. Green 3 bulbs gives more 3D?
:

No.No. Just need a red and a blue LCD. Instant 3D. Smile

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
pjmasks

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

CRT technology is still great! It may be impossible to find someone to repair one locally as no one wants to look at anything CRT related never mind something as bulky as a projector. Thats why I finally joined the forum this year!! I have been running Selecos here in the UK since around 2000, I still have my first machine a 350 (very low hours but in need of repair!) I also have three 800 HDs, one is a Millenium and has a fantastic (to me) image although thats playing up too! Another is working but with some burn and the third unit needs repair too.

Lets put it this way....I saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind which is one of my favourite films last year at my local Cineworld on a digital projector, at the cinema, and I felt there was no cinematic experience at all, it was the cleaned up 4k restoration version. I can either watch the same on a digital projector at home or on a older but for me more cinematic presentation on a CRT which I prefer. Silly, but my home felt more like a cinema!
So CRT sticks around a bit longer for me!
pj-toso

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjmasks wrote:
Hi there!

CRT technology is still great! It may be impossible to find someone to repair one locally as no one wants to look at anything CRT related never mind something as bulky as a projector. Thats why I finally joined the forum this year!! I have been running Selecos here in the UK since around 2000, I still have my first machine a 350 (very low hours but in need of repair!) I also have three 800 HDs, one is a Millenium and has a fantastic (to me) image although thats playing up too! Another is working but with some burn and the third unit needs repair too.

Lets put it this way....I saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind which is one of my favourite films last year at my local Cineworld on a digital projector, at the cinema, and I felt there was no cinematic experience at all, it was the cleaned up 4k restoration version. I can either watch the same on a digital projector at home or on a older but for me more cinematic presentation on a CRT which I prefer. Silly, but my home felt more like a cinema!
So CRT sticks around a bit longer for me!

Comerical cinema is crap and only for the blind masses. From the start it is limited to around 1000-2000:1 in contrast, and then add in what is fu..ed up by the operators and lack of maintaince. A crt will beat any non-DolbyCinema commerical cinema.

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to go see a movie last weekend. The image didn't fill the screen, the color balance was a mile out, and the red image was peeking out to to the left of everything. Got 2 free movie tickets because of that. Smile
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Went to go see a movie last weekend. The image didn't fill the screen, the color balance was a mile out, and the red image was peeking out to to the left of everything. Got 2 free movie tickets because of that. Smile

I agree I think the viewing public are way too accepting of the image quality. For them size is everything. We should complain more and only then will the Cineplexes buck up their ideas. I only go to IMAX presentations now (not the IMAX lite that Cineplexes upcharge) and even then only in 2D.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the manager was surprised that I complained. Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

This is why I rarely go to movies. For less money than a couple of us going out, I can get the Blu-ray and get a much better experience in my HT.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
gregstv

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

This is why I rarely go to movies. For less money than a couple of us going out, I can get the Blu-ray and get a much better experience in my HT.

Kal

We do the same here.
The wife won't take me to the movies because I sit there and pick the picture quality to bits.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Days for Pj are numbered since LG presented the folded OLED on CES. We can now have unlimited size of TVs, basically, with that. 3 years from now we will wonder how we Went with JVC pjs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: