Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who's left in 2018?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Spanky Ham wrote:
I think sound repeatable testing can be of benefit.

Sure. But that's actual testing. Not manufacturer specs which are often meaningless.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
pj-toso

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are always thinking that 4k are better than 1080p. They do not understand bitrate or codec.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger numbers are better, right?? But they're ignoring the smaller number in the bitrate. Compression has a much bigger impact on the image quality than microscopic pixels.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great example.

Take a 4K signal that is only given 1 Mbps bandwidth isn't going to look too great unless all you watch is static test patterns. It'll still be 4K, but the perceived resolution will be in the toilet.

Kal

jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of used projectors, what's with the prices these days? I'm starting to see prices go up. Is it because it's getting close to Christmas?
prover

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still staying with my two 1292's although for 3D I have switched to digital. The units are up and running without any bigger problems and still deliver an excellent picture. Let us see what the next years will bring. I imagine a dead tube could bring the end, the 1292 tubes are so hard to find...

Cheers!
prover

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
Speaking of used projectors, what's with the prices these days? I'm starting to see prices go up. Is it because it's getting close to Christmas?

For digitals you mean? IIRC, historically new models start to come out in the fall and you start to see lots of folks with 'upgraditis' start to post their last year's models for sale at inflated prices to try and fund the next purchase. It's often just people 'fishing'.

Kal

HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its a bitter pill to swallow when your $60K 3 year old digital pj is now only worth 5% of what you paid.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure they'd find it a bitter pill. I would imagine that anyone who is able to afford and actually spends $60K on a projector every few years isn't overly concerned about depreciation and knows that technology marches on continuously, no? They would be willing to spend what amounts to $20-30K/year on projectors and accept it. Otherwise they'd be buying a much cheaper projector.

Kal

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 is great year to get into or back to CRT.
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
2018 is great year to get into or back to CRT.

Cool for my birthday I bought a 9" CRT with bult in VHS machine! AND BTTF 3 movie VHS pack!! SWEET!! Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

For digitals you mean? IIRC, historically new models start to come out in the fall and you start to see lots of folks with 'upgraditis' start to post their last year's models for sale at inflated prices to try and fund the next purchase. It's often just people 'fishing'.

Kal

Yes, I was talking digitals.

Have been seeing things like a JVC RS-35 being sold for $1000. I realize this is asking price and negotiation is probably going to knock it down a little, but holy crap - I don't remember seeing people starting off so high with that kind of model last year. Ditto for the RS-1 and RS-2. I've seen people asking $500-600 for them. Last year it seemed like they were asking about $300-$500 for them.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pj-toso wrote:
People are always thinking that 4k are better than 1080p. They do not understand bitrate or codec.

Very true. I have loved the sub channels on some of the OTA stations in Miami. Unfortunately, some have seemed to have gone overboard. Now with the selling off of spectrum, there may be a lot more channel sharing. Of course, ATSC 3 is supposed to "solve" this. In typical government BS, they are going with HEVC instead of the royalty free AV1. HEVC should will be more efficient than MPEG, but I can see them bit starving. At least they will be able to say it is 4k. Rolling Eyes
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
kal wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

Kal

Yes, I was talking digitals.

Have been seeing things like a JVC RS-35 being sold for $1000. I realize this is asking price and negotiation is probably going to knock it down a little, but holy crap - I don't remember seeing people starting off so high with that kind of model last year. Ditto for the RS-1 and RS-2. I've seen people asking $500-600 for them. Last year it seemed like they were asking about $300-$500 for them.

I think some people are getting them surplus or other ways and believing they can make some money off of them. I have seen a couple of old JVCs priced extremely high. I laugh and say good luck. I am thinking of selling my RS25 and realize that I will be getting around $500 with a couple of spare bulbs. My Marantz will probably get the same.

I had to laugh when I read Pete Putnam of hdtvexpert recently. He was talking about the recent history of home theaters. He was saying how the HTs evolved and now are kind of devovlving back into the living room with large flat panels. Personally I look at my OLED and don't have a huge desire to turn the pj on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: