Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CRT in 2018
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: CRT in 2018 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

i did a setup of a Barco Cine 8 yesterday with HD117-24 and P16LNP tubes with 800 hours on them.

We configured 1920 x 817p@72Hz on a 3m scope screen (width)

This projector is tack sharp ! Motion and black is amazing.

Love it Thumbs Up

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - that's nearly 10 feet wide?

What gain screen? How many foot lamberts are you getting on the screen?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound amazing, a Cine8 was a great projector about the same as a G70, but your Cine9 way is better.
If you talk foot lamberts I guess max 3-5
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-5 ftL? Has to be more than that. That would be unwatchable. Standard is 14, below 8-10 I find dull and lifeless (but that's just me).

Kal

Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be more if you use a high gain screen. But on a 1.0 gain I will say max 3-5.
If more you overdrive the crt.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. My screen's a 1.1 to maybe 1.2 gain and with my Cine 8 I was able to do 13.8 ftL on this screen. Now this was 'only' an 8 foot wide screen, not 10. But I wouldn't expect it to drop that much.

Kal

Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not strange, just logic. Contrast over 60 will start to overdrive the crt.
3m scope screen, you use much less of phosphor remember that. Less light and run the crt hard.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pzyked wrote:
Not strange, just logic. Contrast over 60 will start to overdrive the crt.

Not to be pedantic about it (as it's somewhat off topic), but contrast is only one parameter in the signal chain that dictates how hard tubes are driven. There's no hard or fast rule, so stating that over 60 will overdrive doesn't make sense. That number will vary, based on other factors and how other settings are set.

You could (for example) have the individual tube drives set lower such that 60 isn't overdriving the tubes. That's why a control exists for contrast (and most other settings): Because there's no one right setting.

Quote:
3m scope screen, you use much less of phosphor remember that. Less light and run the crt hard.

True.

Kal

garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kal (as usual Laughing), 3-5 ftL would be unwatchable. Nobody would like that. If you're enjoying your image, I would just about guarantee you're getting at LEAST 7-8 ftL.

I ran my 8500 on a 98" diagonal screen (48" x 85", 122 x 216 cm), and as measured by 3 different light meters I was getting about 11-14 ftL with normal / reasonable contrast levels.

Are you saying your screen is 3m wide, so the scope image is 3m wide and 3m / 2.35 = 1.27m high? If so, your projected image is 3m / 2.16m = 1.39x wider, so 1.39x ^ 2 = 1.93x more area. So at worst your ftL levels should be half what I got, or 5-7 ftL or so.
Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
I agree with Kal (as usual Laughing), 3-5 ftL would be unwatchable. Nobody would like that. If you're enjoying your image, I would just about guarantee you're getting at LEAST 7-8 ftL.

I ran my 8500 on a 98" diagonal screen (48" x 85", 122 x 216 cm), and as measured by 3 different light meters I was getting about 11-14 ftL with normal / reasonable contrast levels.

Are you saying your screen is 3m wide, so the scope image is 3m wide and 3m / 2.35 = 1.27m high? If so, your projected image is 3m / 2.16m = 1.39x wider, so 1.39x ^ 2 = 1.93x more area. So at worst your ftL levels should be half what I got, or 5-7 ftL or so.

That's almost what I said, and agree with Kal too unwatchable
pj-toso

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

No one is wrong here, but if you are pushing 7-8 foot-lambert on a Cine 8 on a 3m width screen, you are driving the crts really hard, and you will shorten the lifespan, and it will affect linearity of greyscale and gamma.

Back in the Joe Kane era - he recommended max 72 inch screen (4:3) (about 1.6m width) for a Nec XG-LC (8 inch), and he even stated that gamma and greyscale was only good for about 2000hrs use, and then you should install new tubes.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the tubes are nearly brand new we have plenty of light.

Brightness is about 35 and contrast 75.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then about 3-5 ft L /5-7 maximum ft if brand new tubes. If more you can fry some eggs on your phosphor for breakfast.
I also know that a cine8 will look good have seen it, but anyone's 9 inch including mine is much better than a 8 inch. Also recommended on smaller screen about 90-110 inch. Most important with all crts in my opinion are color filtering for a correct picture. Like Kal sais contrast is only one parameter in the signal chain that dictates how hard tubes are driven, yes I was talking in total.
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

its 1.45 more area the chapeau 2 only counts for squares Mr. Green

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I spent three weeks in Japan retubing 20 Marquees and that included calibrating to a defined luminance spec.

The target was 3 FT-L. Tube life will be decent at this level even in 24/7 operation.

Sitting in the cockpit, I'd say it was a bit dim for movie watching but for simulation purposes, it was fine. In fact, with as many as 11 projectors shooting into the dome via rear projection, if they were calibrated to 11 FT-L it'd probably have been stupidly bright in there.

Given the current end of life of CRT and my stock of spares, I'll run the machine a lot harder than I would have in the past. I run to the limits of acceptable sharpness. Not past the point of loss of detail.

I need to drag out my meter and see just how bright that actually is.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvh99 wrote:
garyfritz wrote:

its 1.45 more area the chapeau 2 only counts for squares Mr. Green

I AM talking about squares. The size or shape of the ILLUMINATED screen area is irrelevant. 1 square cm of illuminated tube face is illuminating 1.93x more screen area on your screen than on mine.

Your 3m-wide screen is 3.0 / 2.16 = 1.39x wider than my 2.16m-wide screen. So a 1cm-wide line on the tube face will project 1.39x wider on your screen than on mine. But the image is larger in width AND height, by the same amount. So a 1cm square on the tube face will be 1.39x wider and 1.39x higher on your screen, therefore that 1cm square is illuminating 1.39^2 = 1.93x more area on your screen than on my screen. So if our tubes are equally bright, you will have roughly 1/2 the ftL on your screen.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, he's beating the tubes like the proverbial rented mule to get decent light output, at the cost of a LOT of tube life.

Big or bright or long life, pick any one or two. You can't have all three at once.

A 3M wide image out of a single 9" projector guarantees a dim picture or short tube life. That's a lot to ask of a 9" machine.

It's CRAZY to try that with 8" tubes. I predict visible wear starting to happen within a couple hundred hours of use.

Some people think my 8 foot wide screen is larger than optimal for a 9" machine. Well, honestly I never turn the PJ on except for movies,
so I really put so few hours on the tubes that I've never put any visible wear on them yet.
Pzyked

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree
Zolzar

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be making the jump to digital in 2018 to a JVC RS projector. This changeover will be tied to a renovation of my basement in the spring. CRT has been so amazing and I have thoroughly enjoyed tearing them down, setting the back up, and making repairs. With to kids under two years old running around now I just don't have time to tinker anymore.

The journey started in 2001. It's been a good ride.

2001 - ECP 3101
2003- ECP 3501
2005 - (foolishly bought cheap digital)
2009- Electrohome 8500
2012 - NEC PG10
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now scrapped down three old non-Ultra Marquee chassis in the past two days.

If it's not an Ultra then it's scrap. No point in even pretending that there's any value to a non-Ultra machine at this point.

I'm down to only 10 CRT projectors at this moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: