Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HDCP issues with Netflix only on an old digital projector

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: HDCP issues with Netflix only on an old digital projector Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys, I sold a Sanyo XT-20 LCD projector that's about 8 years old at the end of the summer to a Craigslist customer. It had a DVI input only, so I sold it with a DVI to HDMI adapter, and tried it with my BluRay player, which worked fine.

Customer calls yesterday, saying that they've run it with the latest Apple TV box, and while everything works, as soon as they go to Netflix, they get an HDCP error message.

I've advised them to get an HDMI splitter/stripper as per another thread here, but I am curious why it's only Netflix causing the problem?

thanks!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netflix is probably looking for a newer version of HDCP than what the Sanyo has, so it won't work unless you get the HDCP stripper for it. It's rare but I've seen it on a few projectors, mainly the older Sanyo's. The PLC XT20 is very early in the HDCP days as well, so not really a surprise about the HDCP not being fully compatible.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the newest AppleTV unit with 4K playback ability, then this is probably an HDCP 2.2 issue. The reason some video playback works and Netflix doesn't is because Netflix is probably enforcing HDCP 2.2 on it's output. I think Craig R had a thread on here somewhere that had an HDCP 2.2 stripper box shown a while back. Possibly an HDFury unit might help as well.

Personally I'd open an online ticket with Apple and ask them why I was having Netflix HDCP issues playing back 1080P to my old HDMI playback device that doesn't likely support HDCP 2.2. You'd think there would be an onboard diagnostic of some type that would give more details on the actual HDCP failure.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Netflix is probably looking for a newer version of HDCP than what the Sanyo has, so it won't work unless you get the HDCP stripper for it. It's rare but I've seen it on a few projectors, mainly the older Sanyo's. The PLC XT20 is very early in the HDCP days as well, so not really a surprise about the HDCP not being fully compatible.

F that noise. Another reason HDMI needs to be taken out back and shot. I've always wondered if stuff like this happened to people, and wonder what it means for us in the future (otherwise perfectly-functioning display devices being artificially rendered useless because of hdcp).
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: