Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Segmented LCD — Voltage Sag Solutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuanfan

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Segmented LCD — Voltage Sag Solutions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi to all, the first time to here to get som help for my question. The situation is following: I've got a remote control transmitter, with a segmented LCD <EDIT: LINK REMOVED> display. The MCU has an integrated LCD driver that is driving the display.

I've got the MCU interfacing and working with the LCD. The LCD is only powered from the MCU. I have the LCD contrast and frequency set to where it looks nice. I can press buttons and update segments and everything works great.

However, when I turn on the TX IC to transmit (it sends a message in 100ms) it draws so much current in the whole circuit that the LCD doesn't have enough current for all the powered up segments. They go from 100% contrast to say 30% contrast.

It is not like the MCU drops out, just the current being provided to the LCD. As soon as the TX IC turns off, the display comes back to 100% contrast.

If I hook up the board to an external power supply when the TX IC flips on the current draw goes from 3mA to ~15mA. The external power supply is set to provide up to 100mA, so it isn't like there is a power shortage.

There is more than enough current available to all the components on the power, for when the TX IC flips on.

If the MCU acting as a sourcing output provides enough current to drive the segments normally, why when the TX IC turns on it would it cause that current drop at the LCD?

Does anyone have any ideas how to correct this? I've tried adjusting the contrast levels and bias resistors on the LCD driver on the MCU, but that doesn't seem to be what is causing the display "sag".

We have used this segmented display on a PIC16 with an LCD driver, and don't experience anywhere near this much display "sag" so I don't know if this is an issue with the integrated LCD driver, the TX IC doing something crazy, or something else with our design.

I appreciate any help!

I'm actually starting to think it is trace width issue. Even though my traces are sized correctly for 1oz copper pours, it could be my Asian board manufacturer maybe is not pouring true 1oz copper on the outer layers of this board, so the board is current starved when the TX IC turns on.

There is no reason my power source can't provide the 20ma max the MCU & TX IC use. I don't see any distortion of the AC waveform going to the LCD, it is just a voltage sag in the entire system.

I traced the voltage going from the battery and power jack, and you don't see them sag when the IC activates.

You only see the voltage sag where I drop the battery voltage across a diode, and it runs to the MCU and TX IC on the board.

One thing I notice, is that my battery charging IC on a 650mA rated trace, only provides 250mA (the resistor value it is set for should provide 400mA charging current) when it tries to charge the battery. Which makes me think there is not the specified amount of copper on the board.

One board mistake I see is that I used a 400mA rated trace from the diodes to the power plane. If there is less copper, it seems like a stretch that 20mA is causing the system to choke from that trace to the power plane... but I don't see much else.

I'm going to re-confirm with the board house, and increase the main power supply trace widths and hopefully this will not be a further issue.
Thank you taking time to read, have a good day!
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that you would probably be much better served by visiting any of several forums that relate specifically to electronics as a hobby, and not the digital projection part of this video projection-focused forum.

We're all about TV. What you're talking about...isn't TV.
kuanfan

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I'd say that you would probably be much better served by visiting any of several forums that relate specifically to electronics as a hobby, and not the digital projection part of this video projection-focused forum.

We're all about TV. What you're talking about...isn't TV.

Thank you reminded, I'll do.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member kuanfan has been nuked/banned. He's just a scammer/spammer who uses automated software to take content from elsewhere and post nonsense that appears "normal" with links to external sites to get their SEO count up. Here's the original content they cut & pasted: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/305543/segmented-lcd-voltage-sag-solutions

Get a real job scammers.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: