Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 8500 RGB focus weirdness
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Alright, I'm very positive the fault is in OP-AMP on the blue focus channel. As the document Gjaky linked says, amps can easily get shorted by an HV arc. I did actually have a little HV leak a while ago resulting LVPS to pulse, so maybe that zapped the chip.

This is a little off-topic question but gotta end the upcoming vicious cycle Smile
I just cleaned the anode leads and noticed they're older type (without pvc shielding). I really wanna add some pvc tubing on them but first I've gotta desolder the connector tip. Does anyone know how this is done?
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best to order 3 hv cables from curt if he has them still
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah and replace them with tle2074... all 3 Smile
congrats on finding the culprit

Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dvh, I'm still speculating tbh but I don't really see what else it could be Smile Also I need to get some real new anode leads but I first gotta come up with something as a temporary emergency solution. So really if anyone knows how to desolder the anode lead I'd love to know!

On another note, seems like tle2074 is not available in dip package anymore. I could get OPA4134, which performs quite the same, cheaply in dip so I think I'm going with that instead.

Thanks!
Eemil
dvh99

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://fi.farnell.com/search?st=tle2074

over a 1000 stock

the anode lead its not soldered to my knowledge

http://www.curtpalme.com/HV_Lead_Removal.shtm

the first hit on google

Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was aware of the HV lead removal from the tube bell, but I was mainly thinking 'bout removing the small tip on the other end (connected to splitter) as I have the PJ set up and don't wanna take the tubes out.

Tim does mention something here (post #6)
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/65042-electrohome-marquee-8500-screen-going-blank.html
but I think I've just done goofed and understood it the wrong way!

It's cool that Farnell does have them in stock indeed, but it will become more expensive for me than with the OPA4134. And as far as I know, both should be suitable substitutes, remember Draganm writing about this somewhere.

Thanks so much for the links though, your help's been great! Smile
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update: changed the op amps and blue is still f---ed Sad I think it's time to throw hands in the air and get a new board.

As a side question, could faults in other boards such as vertical affect the dynamic focus on one channel?

Thanks
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already checked resistors R302, R392, R315, R395 if they are open?

It would be possible to reroute for example the Green focus signal to the blue channel, that would help in deciding wether the output amplifier is deffective or there is no control signal at all.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:

It would be possible to reroute for example the Green focus signal to the blue channel, that would help in deciding wether the output amplifier is deffective or there is no control signal at all.

I just tested the resistors you mentioned, and they all measured good. Would the rerouting be a big task? I'd be willing to give it a shot!

Thanks for the advice!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I admire your persistence, you realize that you could buy a working tested board from me for $10 plus about $50 shipping, right? Smile
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
While I admire your persistence, you realize that you could buy a working tested board from me for $10 plus about $50 shipping, right? Smile

I most likely will end up doing that, it's just a shame as this board is now updated with new caps and op-amps so the work ended up being redundant. Sad
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meemil wrote:
gjaky wrote:

I just tested the resistors you mentioned, and they all measured good. Would the rerouting be a big task? I'd be willing to give it a shot!

Thanks for the advice!

Not at all.
One leg of C315 goes to the multirow connector PA11's Pin13, that is the input of the Blue horizontal focus, The same for the green channel is C215 PA11's Pin14. By lifting that pin and tying to the green's signal channel can help to rule out whether the FCM itself is the problem, or the input signal is missing.

Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Meemil wrote:
gjaky wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

Not at all.
One leg of C315 goes to the multirow connector PA11's Pin13, that is the input of the Blue horizontal focus, The same for the green channel is C215 PA11's Pin14. By lifting that pin and tying to the green's signal channel can help to rule out whether the FCM itself is the problem, or the input signal is missing.

Alright new results are here! Thanks Gjaky for the instructions. I connected the pin 13 (blue) to pin 14's trace and disconnected actual pin 14. So basically blue's signal goes now both to green and blue channels, right? Anycase, now green's dynamic focus stopped working too! Does this mean the problem is somewhere else in the machine?

Thanks again!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus control signals are originated on the CLM.
To make everything sure please do a cross-check, ie. tie the green focus signal to both green and blue at FCM to se blue working that way.

Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
The focus control signals are originated on the CLM.
To make everything sure please do a cross-check, ie. tie the green focus signal to both green and blue at FCM to se blue working that way.

Oh well, did that and blue hasn't changed at all, though green works now. Ramping up the dynamic focus on green wont do anything to blue. In my previous post I most likely got confused and tried to watch the green grid with its own controls even though the signal was routed thru blue Laughing I'll redo the previous test tomorrow and report the results. So far I'm pretty convinced that fcm has crapped the bed.

Thanks!
Meemil

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've rechecked everything and it's now clear that FCM is causing issues. Thanks Gjaky for your efforts in helping to diagnose the board, if there's any more possible dead components I should check, I'd really appreciate that sort of info! Otherwise, I think I'm just gonna get a replacement from Curt.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: