Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The latest HDMI specs......10k?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: The latest HDMI specs......10k? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/28/hdmi-2-1-specification-is-now-available-with-10k/
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't even got 4K down right yet. Idiots!
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or HDR

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I could pull off 10K using 5 G90s and 5 Marquee Ultras. Love to do it just for giggles, but I don't have the space.

Imagine a CRT projected image 40 feet wide and (roughly) 12 feet tall. Who wants to calibrate, converge, and color balance match that setup?
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

kal wrote:
Or HDR

Kal

Yeah, same sh*t, different year. I honestly want to throw up when I see new specs like this especially when the current versions are still in flux Rolling Eyes

Sometimes I just want to give up. I've had clients tell me for the past two years that they won't buy new hardware until 8k is out. WTF for?!?

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Craig. I get the same comments. They don't seem to understand that clients don't like flux. Nobody expects things to sit 100% still forever, but c'mon! Finish what you started before starting on the next round. It's just plain stupid.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I think I could pull off 10K using 5 G90s and 5 Marquee Ultras. Love to do it just for giggles, but I don't have the space.

Imagine a CRT projected image 40 feet wide and (roughly) 12 feet tall. Who wants to calibrate, converge, and color balance match that setup?

Or pay for the HVAC and electricity required to run something like that! Wink

Kal

km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

kal wrote:
Or HDR

Kal

Yeah, same sh*t, different year. I honestly want to throw up when I see new specs like this especially when the current versions are still in flux Rolling Eyes

Sometimes I just want to give up. I've had clients tell me for the past two years that they won't buy new hardware until 8k is out. WTF for?!?

craigr

Oh Craig there are always people that like shinny new objects even if no-one know how to make them work. Laughing
jask

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:

you should do that. and when you get your blending solution working.... post again.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I agree Craig. I get the same comments. They don't seem to understand that clients don't like flux. Nobody expects things to sit 100% still forever, but c'mon! Finish what you started before starting on the next round. It's just plain stupid.

Kal

Thats just the other side of the same coin. On one side are the buyers that like anything shinny and new and then there are those on the other side that produce stuff just because they can. These people deserve each other.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just "because they can," but "because they want to keep selling stuff." If they sold you the last shiny thing, it doesn't do them any good if you just use it an enjoy it. They need you to buy another shiny thing...
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw a documentary about how "we" pollute ourselves with this sh*t: kate raworth doughnut economics
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a teen I always looked for the gear with that one extra button or feature. That usually led me to the top of the line piece.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jask wrote:
cmjohnson wrote:

you should do that. and when you get your blending solution working.... post again.

Yeah, that's the tough part....having the scratch for a video wall processor that'd take 10K input and output 10x 2K outputs.

I'd rather have a 911....for about the same price, I'll bet.

It's still be fun, though.

Until you had to reconverge and recalibrate the whole system. At which point you'd just want to start tossing projectors in a dumpster and be done with that!
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

kal wrote:
Or HDR

Kal

craigr

Keep the standards in constant flux, and keep the money rolling in...

Or do it too much, too quickly and watch it all implode on itself. Very Happy
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbltecnicspro wrote:
...Or do it too much, too quickly and watch it all implode on itself. Very Happy

I think we are getting close to implosion. A lot of my clients are seriously frustrated with the state of HDR and Rec2020 / DCIP3. Most people are still having a difficult time getting this to work and then look correct all the time. I feel that the industry is pushing new standards too quickly at this point. More and more folks are starting to not give a sh*t anymore.

People keep buying the new shiny thing, but I think we are close to were people are just going to not buy. Why buy now when what you buy today will be obsolete in 6-18 months. Why buy now when the masses report that what they just bought does not work as advertised. There are more reasons NOT to buy at this point than there are to buy.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CIR Engineering"]
jbltecnicspro wrote:

Why buy now when the masses report that what they just bought does not work as advertised.

I think the situation is trickier than that, you buy a new 4K projector for example which is loaded with fancy features. And even if your source is not capable to support all those fancy features, no problem the projector can emulate it and the average customer WILL turn on some of these features, however it very well could be those extra features never will be exploited from the source side because of thelack of standardization, but still it "kinda works". Often the customers don't even know what these things really about. This stands for specifications, less and less information is given in the factory specifications, so it is really hard to differentiate between things.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:
...Or do it too much, too quickly and watch it all implode on itself. Very Happy

I think we are getting close to implosion. A lot of my clients are seriously frustrated with the state of HDR and Rec2020 / DCIP3. Most people are still having a difficult time getting this to work and then look correct all the time. I feel that the industry is pushing new standards too quickly at this point. More and more folks are starting to not give a sh*t anymore.

People keep buying the new shiny thing, but I think we are close to were people are just going to not buy. Why buy now when what you buy today will be obsolete in 6-18 months. Why buy now when the masses report that what they just bought does not work as advertised. There are more reasons NOT to buy at this point than there are to buy.

craigr

Gone are the days of the avg. enthusiast making large capital investments in consumer technology. The combination of functional obsolescence and "standard of the week" results in products which either fail quickly or our surpassed. The early HDMI nonsense (3 revisions in 2-yrs) took out more than a couple of high end companies over the last decade. Imagine your an engineer who is 50-80% through a product design lifecycle when a new standard is dropped which puts you behind the eight ball the day your product is released...You have a lot of clients where money is not the object but they definitely don't want to deal with all the aggravation.

I held off on buying a flat panel for 6-yrs and then bought a 65" 4K Toshiba for $600. If it craps out in the next 12-months I won't care but if I'd spent $1,500-3,000 on a set I'd be pretty annoyed. I can't imagine dropping $7K+ on a projector and then getting hosed. No thanks.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I just bought a used RS-45 for $800 and that will do fine for me. The guy who sold it to me said he bought some new projector for $9k. Obviously he has a very different budget than I do, and apparently he's not worried about standards flux and crap hardware.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
CIR Engineering wrote:
jbltecnicspro wrote:

craigr

Gone are the days of the avg. enthusiast making large capital investments in consumer technology. The combination of functional obsolescence and "standard of the week" results in products which either fail quickly or our surpassed. The early HDMI nonsense (3 revisions in 2-yrs) took out more than a couple of high end companies over the last decade. Imagine your an engineer who is 50-80% through a product design lifecycle when a new standard is dropped which puts you behind the eight ball the day your product is released...You have a lot of clients where money is not the object but they definitely don't want to deal with all the aggravation.

I held off on buying a flat panel for 6-yrs and then bought a 65" 4K Toshiba for $600. If it craps out in the next 12-months I won't care but if I'd spent $1,500-3,000 on a set I'd be pretty annoyed. I can't imagine dropping $7K+ on a projector and then getting hosed. No thanks.

You really hit it on the head Justin. I was kind of glad to see DVDO go, but we almost lost Lumagen at the same time with the "3 revisions in 2-yrs" for HDMI. They had a product ready to launch and parts built then BAM!

The irony is now Lumagen is doing the best it's ever done because you can put their VP's in in front of a display device and properly calibrate Rec2020 / DCI P3 and also make HDR look really good. They've had two record months in a row and they've been around for about 20 years now. Lumagen did quite well during the 3D craze because they could fix all the compatibility issues. Now they are doing well because they can fix shortcomings with 2020 and HDR.

...I guess I shouldn't complain Wink

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: