Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Holy shiznit! OMSI planetarium setup- 10 JVC 4K projectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Holy shiznit! OMSI planetarium setup- 10 JVC 4K projectors Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yes, I am posting in the CRT section, as I've been repairing boards for OMSI in Portland for almost 15 years now. Finally, 5 years after requesting an upgrade, they got the funding in for digital projectors by www.skyskan.com

A quick writeup, as I am packing to head out of town tomorrow AM, I will rescale the pix I took and post them in about 10 days when I am back.

Turns out that they actually redid the entire planetarium, new carpeting LED strip lights, new seats, new sound and new video.

Skyskan put in 2 very large 4K Sonys down in Albuquerque, I flew down to take delivery of their 1209s about 3 years ago that they gave me, and today I did the same for the sound system at OMSI (more on that later).

ABQ used only two Sony projectors with 6 bulbs each (!!), with fisheye lenses to cover 180 degrees of the dome each. Nice blending zones, but not perfect.

Portland used 10 4K JVCs,much smaller, driven by 5 computers via fibre, then fibre to HDMI converters at the projectors. What was cool here is that ... THEY USED 2 HIGH RES CAMERAS TO TOTALLY ALIGN THE 10 PROJECTORS WITHIN 3 MINUTES!

very similar to ACON units, but all blending zones and alignment was bang friggin' on! One projector showed very minor panel misconvergence, but nothing anyone would notice.

If you're in Portland, you MUST go to OMSI. Drop my name to Jim, the main tech/overseer, and I'm sure he'd be happy to show you the system. JBL speakers throughout.

Jim was nice enough to drive up the seven 1209s to me in Blaine Wa last month. today I went down to take delivery of their entire sound system, from mixer to speakers. They ship to me on Thursday.

I got

-1 Yamaha 01V digital mixer, one of the first digital mixers out there.
-3 power amp racks with BGW 750C and BGW GTA amps in them.
-4 x Renkus Heinz 15" 2 way mid-highs
-4 x Renkus Heinz 18 " front firing subs.
1 x Renkus Heinz processor unit.
-all the 12 gauge twist lock cables that went from the amp racks to the speakers.

Probably worth $20K when new, but worth a fraction of that now.

I will be selling the system cheap if anyone is interested. Would make a great quadrophonic system, night club or band system. R-H are amazing pro speakers, and these were hung about 25 years ago and left along until they were de-installed.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Holy shiznit! OMSI planetarium setup- 10 JVC 4K project Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Portland used 10 4K JVCs ... One projector showed very minor panel misconvergence, but nothing anyone would notice.

And it can be fixed too - even my 1080p JVC from 2013 has pixel shift (and even 1/16 sub-pixel shift) if you really need to fix it.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be fun to watch a movie in that setup. Lying back, reclined all the way, of course.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blending really isn't all that complicated, especially if a camera is used to align the projectors. The reason it seems so mystical to people is because of the cost incurred with blending. It just isn't cheap to do (yet). Good software for blending costs thousands, and then you have the need for everything else, the software being just one small (but vital) part of it.

3 minutes is no surprise Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if it is the laser or bulb JVCs? Eshift or native 4k?

Did you spec the JBLs or is that what they wanted?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: