Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Seagate HDD repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Seagate HDD repair Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I had my seagate barracuda 7200.8 250GB. HDD bite the dust last night; One of the pins on the controller board became bent and then fell out, my question is can the controller boards from other seagate drives be used on mine to fix it. If possible I'd like to get a 40GB. seagate drive and swap off the controller board. Looking at cost this looks like a better idea $30 vs. $100

Thanks

Erik Very Happy
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this but only with same/same hard drives. Never tried it with different models

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Jaric00n

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu

it will not work

the bios on the controller will not be able to recognize # of platters/heads

Tried this with so WD drive with important data...

bought another exact same drive ..swapped it...and voila...saved all the data ...
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Seagate HDD repair Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
I had my seagate barracuda 7200.8 250GB. HDD bite the dust last night; One of the pins on the controller board became bent and then fell out, my question is can the controller boards from other seagate drives be used on mine to fix it. If possible I'd like to get a 40GB. seagate drive and swap off the controller board. Looking at cost this looks like a better idea $30 vs. $100

Thanks

Erik Very Happy

is the bent pin a symptom or a cause?
if its a symptom of something else. yeah look for another similar drive. if it is teh root cause, fix it.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jordan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bios on the controller will not be able to recognize # of platters/heads
Elaine Benes

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen just controller boards for sale on ebay for quite a bit less than the full drive.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:
I've seen just controller boards for sale on ebay for quite a bit less than the full drive.

Plus you could recover the data, in many cases that's more important then the cost of the drive.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has a Maxtor 3200 drive that just bit the big one. And natch, she never backed it up. The USB connection still works, but the systems never recognize it as a drive. I'm guessing the controller bit it. Hadn't thought about swapping in another controller. Maybe I'll open it up and see if I can swap it out myself.

And we're getting two 1TB network drives to start backing things up religiously. Smile
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that was a LOT easier than I expected. Once I finally pried the @#$# case open (it will never close again, but I don't care), I just removed the USB interface board, plugged the drive into a PC, and shazam! There's all our data. Apparently it was just the USB board that went bad. That's about the LAST thing I would have expected, especially since Windows recognized it as a Maxtor 3200 when you plugged it in!

The data is all being copied over to another drive now. *phew* Smile
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330223852306
jmcmahon7

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are sorted, but ill add this to the thread anyway.

Changing logic boards can be a crapshoot and you can actually loose data. The prospective board must the be same board rev and same frmware rev. If you can nail that then you are in good shape (things can still go wrong!), otherwise its tricky and pretty risky. If you dont value your data that much, ie its not of significant financial or sentimental value, then "guessing" the logic board is one way to go.

If you break a pin on the HD connector you can always stick a longer pin in the IDE connector that protures just long enough to touch the metal in the drive. Needless to say, this is a tempaorary workaround, just to get your data off there.

HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: