Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco parts will be thrown out

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nidi

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Barco parts will be thrown out Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys,

talked to the Product Manager from Barco last weekend.
He was at a Film Festival in the UK presenting the latest Cinema Technology called Barco Escape.

I soon found out that he was deeply involved in CRT and Simulators for the last 20 years.

I asked him if there are still parts available for the 9" and 12" projectors they offered.

He said tons. after asking him what is happening to all of those parts he just said that
the 10 years are up and those will be thrown in the dumpster/skip in the near future.

what a waste.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got his contact info (I'm not asking you to reveal it) then maybe you can keep in touch with him and ask him if Barco would consider
offering those parts out to what's left of the CRT enthusiast community for fire sale prices.

The idea that they might have parts for 12" projectors really interests me. I'd love to have a Barco 912 even if it may not be the ultimate resolution CRT projector in real world terms. I want one anyway.

I'd certainly grab a set of the tubes and lenses if I could get them. For a not unreasonable price, anyway.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief - a 12 inch projector. How much did that thing weigh? 400 lbs?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
If you got his contact info (I'm not asking you to reveal it) then maybe you can keep in touch with him and ask him if Barco would consider offering those parts out to what's left of the CRT enthusiast community for fire sale prices.

It's rarely worth the hassle. They have prices on these things to meet their margins already. Now you're asking for a massive discount (aka fire sale prices) and now they also have to sell outside their regular channels (more work) to move these items. There's just no money to be made once you factor in them having to use one of their employees that understands this stuff to coordinate the sale, not to mention they're not set up to sell direct to consumer. Financially they're better off dumping them and declaring the loss. It's 100x simpler.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a company will allow an interested employee to take the stuff and do whatever he wants with it. The company still gets to take the tax write-off and the employee can make some money on the side.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it happen a few times where items were given away for free to employees but there's always been disclaimers and paperwork to fill out declaring that it's for "personal use only and not resold for profit". They'd have to check their employee agreements.

Kal

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the company where I work one can't bring home used paper boxes without permission, yes, we also throw out 1000's of $ worth new, newer used components from excess stock each year... Thumbs Down
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of it has to do with liability. For example, if something malfunctioned and you or your property got damaged, the temptation to seek some form of compensation would be high. It was their equipment and they let you take it home, and unfortunately a lot of people think that some of the blame must surely lay with them. Personal responsibility tends to be side-stepped when money is on the line.

Similarly, if the stuff being thrown out is particularly useful or valuable, it could lead to arguments in the office and accusations of nepotism among employees who missed out.

These are headaches that management don't need, so often it's better to just throw it all out and be done with it.

Kal

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the point however, a few months ago our company just threw out (along with other parts) 500pcs of AD822 opamps in DIP-8 package, all new in tubes, never used . At Digikey they'd cost 2888USD total with the quantity discount applied, now tell me it is not worth to hire a worker to sell these even at half price, instead of ending up in a landfill, while the company actually pays money to take away the "hazardous waste"...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
At Digikey they'd cost 2888USD total with the quantity discount applied, now tell me it is not worth to hire a worker to sell these even at half price

$1400 in revenue? Not worth it for a large company once you factor in someone having to figure out how to sell them, their time, taking them away from something else more profitable that's actually part of the company business plan, liability, etc.

Kal

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
gjaky wrote:
At Digikey they'd cost 2888USD total with the quantity discount applied, now tell me it is not worth to hire a worker to sell these even at half price

$1400 in revenue? Not worth it for a large company once you factor in someone having to figure out how to sell them, their time, taking them away from something else more profitable that's actually part of the company business plan, liability, etc.

Kal

Maybe, but my salary is less than that as an electro engineer at that company, in fact in Hungary 1400 USD salary is rather good one, and as I said this was just one example what was throwed out.

rod

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liability issue is the big hurdle/wall, plus companies only want energy (sales, shipping, warehouse, admin) focused on new direction - everything else is a distraction. My brother worked at a smelter where phillips, nec, etc shipped boxcars of brand new vcrs, projectors, stereo tossed straight into the furnace to recover metals.

I often thought of using a "charity play" (ie. some proceeds go to a charity) but it's still a long shot because of first point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: