Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G70 Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Sony G70 Help Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I finally had these arrive today and they fell off the truck Sad. The road cases seem to have protected them but obviously I want to test and get one set up.

I get code 10 (abnormal signal) when powering on or trying to select inputs. Should the tubes be coming on when it's powered on or does it require a signal?
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony G70 Help Reply with quote

Gypsy wrote:
I finally had these arrive today and they fell off the truck Sad. The road cases seem to have protected them but obviously I want to test and get one set up.

I get code 10 (abnormal signal) when powering on or trying to select inputs. Should the tubes be coming on when it's powered on or does it require a signal?

Are you feeding the projector any signal? If I remember, an error code 10 just means you're feeding the G70 with something it doesn't recognize / can't sync to. Sorta like a CRT monitor whose given a signal that's "OUT OF RANGE".
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've tried a dvd player over ypbpr and a laptop through VGA via the RBGHV bnc on the back. I could easily be doing something wrong though, as this is my first experience with a CRT projector.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy wrote:
Yeah I've tried a dvd player over ypbpr and a laptop through VGA via the RBGHV bnc on the back. I could easily be doing something wrong though, as this is my first experience with a CRT projector.

Ah okay. So first thing's first - unplug your sources and run some test patterns. Does it work? Do you see any patterns?
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tubes aren't turning on at all, they are just black. So no image is displaying. Source plugged in or not.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gypsy wrote:
The tubes aren't turning on at all, they are just black. So no image is displaying. Source plugged in or not.

And you verified that the entire projector is powering up? Fans running and everything? What have you tried? Did you hit the menu button to make it try and display an image? Depending on the current settings of the brightness, for example, the tubes won't look like they're on. I'm just trying to figure out what you've done so far.

If you just straight-up turn the projector on without doing anything it won't display anything. Like I said - hit the menu button and see if it displays the menu. If it does then it's probably working fine and it's just confused about the signal your feeding it. If it doesn't then something else may be at play.
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thanks for your help so far.

It does sound like it's on, fans running etc... Would it help to take off the casing and look inside more? I tried the menu button with no sources plugged in and there is still no image.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem - my pleasure to help. Next thing I would do is unplug the projector and open up the chassis. The projector will spin on if everything is connected except the tubes. Next thing to check is to see if the anode leads are connected to the splitter.
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I checked the other one I got with worn out tubes as a point of comparison and red and blue tubes turn on/display. So something is wrong with this other one now. Probably due to the fall off the delivery truck.

jbltecnicspro wrote:
No problem - my pleasure to help. Next thing I would do is unplug the projector and open up the chassis. The projector will spin on if everything is connected except the tubes. Next thing to check is to see if the anode leads are connected to the splitter.

Ok I'll try this. Probably tomorrow.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, getting tossed off the back of the truck probably didn't do it any good.

You need to open it up and start by seeing if any tubes broke.

G70 neck cards are pretty heavy on the ends of the tubes and the tube necks are skinny, it's a bad combination and tube breakage
even without abusive shipping is not exactly unknown.

You will know if the tubes are broken, most likely. The broken glass is a clue.

If the tubes survived, then you'll probably want to inspect for physical damage and attempt to correct it, and then start
checking all the connections on all the PC boards in the unit.
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a chunk of glass in the road case when I was putting it away for safety last night (cats). I'm fairly certain you're correct and the tubes broke.

I'll try to get it opened up later today to confirm. Not sure if I have a screwdriver long enough to get the lenses off though.
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures, and they are not pretty. I can get pictures with a better camera later, if needed, the batteries are charging at the moment.

Album links:
https://imgur.com/a/o2Jw3
https://imgur.com/a/0Uqr7
https://imgur.com/a/o9yM0

The red tube is almost completely out of the housing (whatever the tube connects to?) at the back. The housings can all be moved, and the red one is especially loose.

The glass chunk I found is in the last album. I didn't see any loose glass in the projector but I don't know where else that could've came from if not the tubes.

Are the screws I circled in red are the correct screws for lens removal?

Last edited by Gypsy on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the G70 necks are very fragile, as are the NECs. Unfortunately Sony G70s don't always detect the HV overload that a cracked tube causes, and will simply shut down the HV without an error code. can you file a claim with the shipper?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Phil on the forum here has some new old stock G70 tubes for sale..
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Yeah, the G70 necks are very fragile, as are the NECs. Unfortunately Sony G70s don't always detect the HV overload that a cracked tube causes, and will simply shut down the HV without an error code. can you file a claim with the shipper?

I got the claim forms for the shipping company filled out last night. I think these photos should be sufficient to show that it was damaged? This is the first time I've ever had anything shipped to me via freight.

I didn't see any more broken glass. Do I need to completely remove the tubes to know for sure?

I edited in a few more pictures to my last post. Thanks for all the help so far guys, this whole thing is upsetting to say the least, and I appreciate it.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no glass in a G70 that isn't tube glass. That piece is definitely part of a tube, at the bell end.

If you look thru the lenses you may see tube damage. Probably you will.

It looks like the neck card is almost off the end of one tube. If the tube isn't broken, the pins can be straightened and
the neck card reattached. Carefully.

So how many tubes broke? One, two, or all three?
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see any obvious cracks when looking through the lenses. Are the screws I circled in red the correct screws for removing the lenses?

The tube that's almost completely off is the red one.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those screws circled in red are the ones you would remove to take the lenses off and check tube face condition.
Gypsy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tube faces seem okay as far as I can tell. What's the next step?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You found broken glass, did you not?. Find out where it came from.

If you can move the tube neck and the big end of the tube doesn't move with it, that's a broken tube.

Post a picture of the pieces of glass if you can. Just to be sure...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: