Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

M9500 left edge "ringing"

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: M9500 left edge "ringing" Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys

Looked at a 9500 yesterday that is local. Worst case of left edge ringing I have ever seen. Tried an Ultra HDM no effect. May I conclude that the scan yokes are the problem?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. While an imbalance between the coils in a yoke can cause slight ringing, the emphasis there is on SLIGHT ringing.

Is the unit being run direct from a source or is there a processor/scaler in the system?

Sync timings affect ringing, A LOT. And the higher the scan rate, the worse any given ringing issue will be.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

The problem was severe with no signal coming in, just internal white field at 63khz and the same at 32khz
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ringing on left edge CRT is directly related to and caused from the horizontal deflection yokes. Ringing period, is usually always associated with coils/inductors.

Timings can reveal it, but it's usually caused from inductance.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....

Try other yokes?
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott (VDC) said at one point it could be from the longer cable wires connected to the yokes. I would first look at changing yokes, and since you have already changed out the HDM. I would swap out the DPB on the control module, since it could be timings induced
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

My customer has lowered his 9500 from the ceiling and we hit it tomorrow---I am taking half of my shop over there including tubes, yokes, boards; pretty much everything that is suspect.

Film at 11
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look out for proper video grounding as well!
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Mike

I swapped the entire control board and that fixed it completely, so likely the DPB.
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

More weirdness on this one. My "ringing-free" control board ran good a few hours and went bizarre. The IOP took several seconds to react to each button press, accompanied by picture flashing. Not good. Put in a control board that did exhibit ringing just to give my customer a picture to watch, and brought the problem board back home. I reseated U16, the IOP chip, only to find it couldn't read the IR.

A new U16 chip, v3.1, fixed all the issues. I can't remember ever seeing a failure on these; good thing I have a few spare chips on hand. I am back with my customer on Saturday to wrap up his retubing.

I am also modding a VIM with 1.5m resistors for the "faint vertical line" problem; will advise how that goes.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:

A new U16 chip, v3.1, fixed all the issues. I can't remember ever seeing a failure on these; good thing I have a few spare chips on hand. I am back with my customer on Saturday to wrap up his retubing.

This is also my first hearing or about that particular (U16) causing that problem.

I have had an abundance of CLM problems on the later VDC version CLM with the even later version chips that are not the original Electrohome. So hold onto your chips for those later version CLM's, and there's several post on the 9518 where some have been a problem to get the projector to work after changing out some of the other boards in the set.

I'm thinking U16 would be the character generator IC.
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
I'm thinking U16 would be the character generator IC.

Hi,

U16 is the I/O Processor (68HC711E9). It handles the internal and external remote, the serial and switcher ports, the LEDs on the CLM and controls the power state of the LVPS. It's supplied from the standby section of the LVPS.
As it has its own RAM, ROM and EEPROM, it needs to be programmed before use.
I do have blank chips, the required programmer and different versions of the firmware. So if anyone is in urgent need of fresh chips, I could be of help.

The character generator is either located in U106 or U100 which are both part of the internal video generator. I can program U100 (Mach120-20) as well.

BTW: The DBP uses the same chip like U16. There it is being used as main processor with a different set of firmware...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: