Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New Original Sony Factory G70 Tubes With C-Element Housings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diopter_Doctor

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I know this post is a few years old, but any chance those tubes for the G70 are still available?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil is no longer a member of this forum, sorry! He also told he that he wouldn't ship.

VDC I think still has G70 tubes, but at $500 UDSD each.
Dancrt

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you ? I bought a rebuilt green and no wear blue and red set in houseings about two years ago
Then I went and bought a barco 909 so yeah they owe me a bit would swap for a good couple of barco 909 compatible tubes or parts or Open to offer
I can’t give them away I was silly and paid Like $1,000usd for the set
I live in Australia and postage is pretty crazy
What colour do you need?
Diopter_Doctor

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Phil is no longer a member of this forum, sorry! He also told he that he wouldn't ship.

VDC I think still has G70 tubes, but at $500 UDSD each.

I actually drive through Texas once a year. Do you have any contact info I could reach him at?
Diopter_Doctor

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancrt wrote:
Where are you ? I bought a rebuilt green and no wear blue and red set in houseings about two years ago
What colour do you need?

I'm in the states.
My red looks fine, the blue is starting to look bad now that it's at 7k hrs, and green is horrible.
As I've been calibrating, I found that a lot of my defection controls (especially the vertical ones) aren't working.
So I'm trying to justify how much to spend on new tubes since I can only fully calibrate the center of the screen.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diopter_Doctor wrote:
I actually drive through Texas once a year. Do you have any contact info I could reach him at?

Please understand that what you're asking cannot done. It violates our privacy agreement. For privacy reasons we cannot give out contact information on our forum members that isn't already made public by the forum member. I'm sure you understand.

The only information available about our forum members is information the members have elected to post themselves either on their profile page or through their posts over the years. Phil has many times posted publically that he runs a pawn shop. I don't think he ever mentioned which one. I imagine he purposely did not give that information, but feel free to search and see what he's said in the past.

Phil's no longer a member of this forum as he asked to have his account locked.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Dancrt

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diopter_Doctor wrote:
Dancrt wrote:
What colour do you need?

I'm in the states.
My red looks fine, the blue is starting to look bad now that it's at 7k hrs, and green is horrible.
As I've been calibrating, I found that a lot of my defection controls (especially the vertical ones) aren't working.
So I'm trying to justify how much to spend on new tubes since I can only fully calibrate the center of the screen.

Curt probably could fix ?? I have spare g70s but shipping would be mental (assume it all works)
Even shipping the tubes would be expensive I’m thinking you would be better buying
A barco 909 from curt think he had some for a few months back advertised
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the chips on the convergence board are bad. I've pretty much thrown out all my G70 stuff, and have no test chassis. replace the chips before considering changing the tubes, otherwise upgrade to a 909 from me for $1500.
Gastricsauce

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancrt wrote:
Then I went and bought a barco 909 so yeah they owe me a bit would swap for a good couple of barco 909 compatible tubes or parts or Open to offer
I can’t give them away I was silly and paid Like $1,000usd for the set
What colour do you need?

I'm in Melbourne and am looking for a green and blue for future swap as the unit has 5k hours on it. Where are you located?
Diopter_Doctor

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Sounds like the chips on the convergence board are bad. I've pretty much thrown out all my G70 stuff, and have no test chassis. replace the chips before considering changing the tubes, otherwise upgrade to a 909 from me for $1500.

Would it be insane exchange the chips i know aren't working with others on the board that are?
I know ultimately that doesn't solve the problem, but I assume it couldn't hurt to validate that it is indeed certain chips and not a connection issue downstream.

Dancrt sent me this:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41499
saying the "focus board" (I assume that's the D board) wasn't connected properly, so I'm going to re-solder all the connectors just to see.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both main chips are on the one board. The chips run insanely hot, which is why they fail. Replace them both, and you should be good to go.
Diopter_Doctor

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dancrt wrote:

Curt probably could fix ?? I have spare g70s but shipping would be mental (assume it all works)
Even shipping the tubes would be expensive I’m thinking you would be better buying
A barco 909 from curt think he had some for a few months back advertised

Any chance you would ship a board?
If you have any G70's that you'd take a board out of, I need a new D board.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I've got nothing here, sorry! I threw all G70 stuff out last year. Still have a few boards, but no working convergence board. Get the chips online and get them changed out is your best bet.
Diopter_Doctor

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Both main chips are on the one board. The chips run insanely hot, which is why they fail. Replace them both, and you should be good to go.

Can you tell me which chips you're referring to exactly. And are they easy to find?

The controls that don't respond are pretty consistent with the highlighted chips in the attached picture.
They're the same chip MP7670AS-TE2
I've made a quick chart below of what controls do not work.
-------------R-----------G-----------B

SIZE:-------H------------------------H/V
LIN:--------H---------H(ALL)---------H
SKEW:-----H/V--------H/V----------H/V
BOW:------H/V--------H/V----------H/V
KEY:-------H/V----------V-----------H/V
PIN:-------H/V--------V(ALL)-------H/V

MG:--MG ALL/4PA----MG ALL-----MG ALL

I hope this makes sense.

I suspect that the MP767 chips are the issue, but you're the guru so I'm all ears.

D-board 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  312.92 KB
 Viewed:  6056 Time(s)

D-board 1.png

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong board, you need the convergence output board which is sitting vertically between the R and G tubes. They are two STK392-220.
Diopter_Doctor

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Wrong board, you need the convergence output board which is sitting vertically between the R and G tubes. They are two STK392-220.

Thank you, sir.
I just ordered some.
Will post outcome once I get them replaced. Thumbs Up

EDIT:
I cancelled the order after I read that most IC's for sale are fakes.
Any clue where to get real OEM Sanyo chips these days?
Diopter_Doctor

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

So I took my convergence board out and did a few tests on both of the STK IC's.
Obviously with no supply voltage going to it as I don't have any advanced gear.

I used my multimeter to check in resistance mode and diode-test mode across the op-amps within the IC and all values were consistently 0.9V for each of the three op-amps in both IC's. all surrounding resistors on the convergence board were measuring w/i tolerance as well.

Wouldn't some of the values be off if the IC's were the problem?
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be to find someone that has a G70 projector no longer in use and perhaps buy all the boards for spares. So start a new Buy Sell post for G70 boards as this thread isn't really for that.
HaydnG90

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one from a delusional seller in Kansas
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Multiscan-Projector-VPH-G70Q/372819940007?hash=item56cdccd2a7:g:B~YAAOSwxcJdtxmP
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Well, I KNOW there are some people who are still interested in keeping and even retubing their G70s.

I sent a message to the guy who ended up with my G70. Maybe he'll make you an offer.

Just trying to be somewhat helpful.

I described you as a reliable and honest seller.

Thumbs Up

I do appreciate CJ's help on this. That guy turned out to be a flake though. He made many phone calls informing me he was almost ready to buy the tubes. After 6-8 months of this he eventually quit calling. I was not surprised though. We get a lot customers in the pawn shop that say, "I'll be back on payday to buy that!" Never see them again. We call them "be backs".
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Buy & Sell All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: