Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Filament constantly 'ON' solved on the LVPS (Marquee)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Filament constantly 'ON' solved on the LVPS (Marquee) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
One of the next things I wanted to solve was being able to completely turn off my tubes (no filament) when the projector is also turned off. BINGO!

The attached image shows the top of the board showing where I put a FET transistor (isolated) that I used to switch the 24 volt supply to the 6.3 volt filament regulator. In this mod, I'm only adding the FET (IRF520) and two resistors (12K / 2.2K). I put the supply back together checking it out but forgot to take a picture of the bottom...I'll do that later.

This was important to me to not leave filament voltage on the tubes at all times. When the set is "OFF" the voltage is around 3.9 VDC - when the projector is powered up, the voltage is full 6.3 - this mod also eliminates the 3.9 VDC, by removing one lead of a resistor. But with the switch connected where it is, that resistor should not be necessary to remove.

Also, on this LVPS, it is a VDC version that is somewhat different from the original Electrohome design. But the changes should work get the same results when added to that version supply as well..
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, the 3.9 volt standby voltage to the filament is to allow the tube to come up more quickly but it doesn't affect tube life.

I don't know to what that extent is true. It was standard practice with tube TVs for decades.

What would be of greater interest to me would be a true silent standby mode, with no fans running at all when the Marquee
is in standby. I unplug my machine when it's not in use because it runs the fans in standby.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Supposedly, the 3.9 volt standby voltage to the filament is to allow the tube to come up more quickly but it doesn't affect tube life

It's to limit the surge on the filaments, by already having the tubes running at 3.9 and just adding the difference to 6.3 at turn on.

Quote:
It was standard practice with tube TVs for decades

Really, who else used a standby filament voltage?

Quote:
What would be of greater interest to me would be a true silent standby mode, with no fans running at all when the Marquee is in standby. I unplug my machine when it's not in use because it runs the fans in standby.

The fans I don't worry about, still the same can be done to them if needed.

You ever wonder why the same Panasonic CRT's that are installed in a Marquee are sharp when first installed or on a new set, to later notice that same sharpness is no longer there....but on a Sony G90 and Barco 909, the tubes do not loose that new sharpness?

And let's for a minute consider how fragile the filament on these tube are, like what happens when the filament voltage exceeds 6.3 for longer periods. And why a G90, Barco 909 or any other CRT used never have the same filament problems that blows out the entire low end, as what ONLY happens on the Marquee, and they don't use this same surge system the Marquee uses.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, so to speak, a lot of direct view TV sets had an "instant on" feature that ran the filament at reduced voltage when the TV was turned off. I distinctly remembering seeing that faint filament glow on our old Panasonic TV, looking in the vent holes in the back of it, when I was a kid.

After lightning struck our house one night, that TV came on and could not be turned off via the power button. Once the TV was unplugged, and later plugged back in, it worked as normal except the instant on function was no longer working.

Any TV that had the instant on feature ran the filaments at a reduced voltage. And in fact that feature was a discussion subject back when I took my electronics courses in school. Not every set had the feature but it was not exactly uncommon.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the Marquee is in "standby" it's filament is fully 6.3. You can only select standby after the set has been powered on. When turned off, that's when most of the power rails cease and the fans and filament operate at lower voltages.

When in the "standby" mode, all circuits are fully functioning. "standby" mutes the image only on the Marquee if my memory is on point this morning.

When I asked the question, I should have said do you know of a CRT projector that lowers the filament.

I do intend to add a Varister as to limit any surge to the tubes on turn on. There was a technical concern for this, though it appears on Electrohome gave thought to it.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp20748 wrote:
I do intend to add a Varister as to limit any surge to the tubes on turn on. There was a technical concern for this, though it appears on Electrohome gave thought to it.

I guess the 12k is the pull up resistor between the gate and the 24V. If so by putting a 100uF capacitor between the gate-source the turn on would be gradual for the MOSFET, given by time constant of R*C, with 12k and 100uF this is 1.2s

View user's photo album (1 photos)
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
mp20748 wrote:

I guess the 12k is the pull up resistor between the gate and the 24V. If so by putting a 100uF capacitor between the gate-source the turn on would be gradual for the MOSFET, given by time constant of R*C, with 12k and 100uF this is 1.2s

I saw this and tried it. Brilliant and makes perfect sense. But not knowing much about these FET's I couldn'y imagine getting the same results as a regular transistor. I went with the FET thinking it would be better for current.

After putting the 100uf across the 12K, there is still a quick 6.3. So I'm thinking to increase the value of the FET drive resistor from 2.2 to maybe 5K - what you think??

And thanks for your time on this, because the Varistors were taking things no where.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use 12k for both resistor, let's see how that goes.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12K - 12K combination is PERFECT, when it comes to start (zero), rise (good ramp up), but the voltage maxes at 5.6vdc
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, you are using on the positive side... remove the resistor from the gate-source and put a 12-15V zener instead. So 12k from +24V to fet's gate, the 100uF cap between gate-source and the zener parallel with this cap.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Oh yes, you are using on the positive side... remove the resistor from the gate-source and put a 12-15V zener instead. So 12k from +24V to fet's gate, the 100uF cap between gate-source and the zener parallel with this cap.

Got it. I'll have to leave out for about an hour, but this will be done right after that.

Man, I really like how it slowly raise the filament, and it does it all before and within the high voltage turn on..Very Happy
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the zener (12) across S - G), cathode to gate. Still quick on..Sad
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange... anyway you can try your original resistors as well (2.2k and 12k) but then you'd need 470uF between the G-S. We should have started with this...
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I go and make those changes. I was also thinking about increasing the capacitance. I'm also wondering about that FET and should I try a T0-220 transistor instead. But first things first..
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With conventional bipolar transistor you can count with voltage drop between the C-E no less than 0.2V. With MOSFET the voltage drop is given by the Rdson times the current flowing through, in this case 0.6A*0.27R=0.16V. In fact this is also a rather high drop. But with using a different FET, like the IRF3205 (which have an rdson of 0.008 Ohm) the drop could be kept at very-very low level
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way i have it now, I'm trying to put the transistor before the 6.3 regulator. I'm now thinking if it would make sense to put it after the 6.3 out from the regulator, in hopes of it ramping from zero to 6.3 for the filaments. What you think?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see. If it is that way probably the best to have your original resistors plus 470uF accross the 12k.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
Oh, I see. If it is that way probably the best to have your original resistors plus 470uF accross the 12k.

Putting the FET on the output side of the regulator turned out to be the best solution here.

I now have it working to my expectations, but there is a loss as you indicated after the FET stage, and that makes the voltage on the tubes 6.28 instead of 6.3 I figured I'd live with the very slight loss, and still think it puts the filament voltage within the tubes range.

After moving the in/out of the FET stage from the input of the regulator to the output of the regulator, I had to change the resistor values to 6.8K Gate Drive and 10K D/S. And the capacitor (D/S) is the 470 you recommended.

I can adjust the delay rate or rise timing by changing the value of the Gate Drive. Don't really understand why they didn't add a suppressor diode to protect the tubes from seeing anything over 7vdc..Confused

Anyway I'm pleased with the changes. The primary goal was to get away from the 3.9 constant to 6.3 turn-on, and after removing the 3.9 volt option, then the other problem of eliminating that filament flash that the tubes would exhibit when you turn on the set and 6.3 is immediately applied. This is where the added circuit really does what it's supposed to do.

Thanks for your help on this..Thumbs Up

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good!
If you want to raise the filament voltage (in order get the proper voltage after the FET), you may want to lower the value of the resistor 4R2 by adding another resistor parallel to it, in the range of 100kOhm, the proper value needs to be experimented of course...

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know if I decide to put the voltage point on.

I think I'll look at the ringing issue next...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: