Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Advent Videobeam 1000 Screen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I asked the Mocom rep what I should do if the screen arrives damaged. He replied that it is insured, but that I shouldn't have a problem because "Our packaging is damage-proof."
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh hahahahaha!

I pack well, in some cases rediculously well but that doesn't stop the couries and freight handlers from trying to destroy things

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah DONT SIGN FOR IT UNTILL YOU HAVE INSPECTED IT.

CRT.

HD done right!
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, it's been held up in customs now. Apparently customs doesn't think "projection screen" is an adequate description, so they're demanding an updated invoice with a better description from Mocom.

(I already called FedEx and asked if they'd accept clarification from me, as the recipient, and they said I wouldn't be able to provide the proper documentation.)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmetal88 wrote:
Alright, it's been held up in customs now. Apparently customs doesn't think "projection screen" is an adequate description, so they're demanding an updated invoice with a better description from Mocom.

(I already called FedEx and asked if they'd accept clarification from me, as the recipient, and they said I wouldn't be able to provide the proper documentation.)

I once had a Polarid camera come in from eBay. I had the seller include a packing slip that said "Polaroid Caamera $35"
I also had the seller label every side of the box with "Polaroid Camera".
Customs labeled it as business printed materials and added $50 to the package.

There are dollars at Customs, but there is little sense.

CRT.

HD done right!
jask

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmetal88 wrote:
I asked the Mocom rep what I should do if the screen arrives damaged. He replied that it is insured, but that I shouldn't have a problem because "Our packaging is damage-proof."

damage proof is not the same as FedEx proof!! I have had parcels arrive that have the corners and edges so bashed in, that the package looks more round than square.. I had one come in that had a clear bootprint on the carton top....right over the "Fragile" label !! Laughing
View user's photo album (4 photos)
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FedEx delivery ended up not happening yesterday and got pushed off to today. But they didn't decide it was late until 3:30 PM, so I wasted a lot of time waiting for it first. Today I'm trying to narrow it down to a more reasonable time window to go wait for it.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh yes couriers. We'll be there between now and eventually

CRT.

HD done right!
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it! I think for my purposes, there are enough positives to keep using it, but unfortunately the curve is a little too shallow and the gain is a little too high for a perfect CRT projection experience, so I have a hard time recommending it on this forum due to hot spotting issues. The surface does produce a very sharp picture, though, and I can play light gun games on it (which is something I very much wanted to do). So in my opinion, it solves two problems I had with the old refinished screen and only introduces one new one, so it does come out ahead (just not as far ahead as I would like).
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it looks quite a bit better with contrast turned down and brightness turned up. Hot spotting still noticeable, but very tolerable.
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention I haven't actually tried the VideoBeam on it yet. The results I've given so far are just from the Sony. I imagine the VideoBeam would have less of a color gradient problem with its triangular tube arrangement, but I suppose I'd have to set it up to see.

One nice thing about the wall mount on this is that the angle is very easily adjustable. It's essentially a little 'curtain rod' that the screen hooks to about halfway up, then you have a little bumper that you screw to the wall near the bottom of the screen that you can adjust in and out to set whatever angle you want.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think the video beams lenses would be better suited for the curved screen than the sonys.

CRT.

HD done right!
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, *now* I've tried it with the Videobeam, and unfortunately it still produces pronounced color regions (it's like the bottom half of the screen is cool, the top left corner is warm, and the top right corner is neutral-to-greenish). But the focus is once again better than the old screen I was using, and the geometry is actually better as well. So, once again, two positives over the old screen and one negative.

I also kind of feel like the viewing distance is supposed to be further back than what I have set up, though. I think the rep told me it was recommended for something like 12-14 feet? I'm pretty sure I'm in the 10-12 foot range, though, and while I could arrange my room to have my seats further back, it would be a little difficult to arrange my non-HT stuff nicely.

(Actually I had noticed the 'bottom half of the screen is cool' phenomenon on the old screen as well, so that isn't really new, it's just a little more pronounced due to the higher gain.)
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I guess my conclusion (after messing a bit more with this today) is that this is 50% better than my old screen when swapped in for the same setup. And that would be great if the screen was only 50% more expensive than the total I spent on the other screen. Unfortunately since the total I paid was around 300% more than the other screen, it does leave me a little underwhelmed. Since I've already paid and it is a slight improvement, I'm going to keep it in my system, but I think this is a case of, if I'd been able to have some sort of a free trial period, I may not have bought it.

It is a really nice screen for the video games, though. I can't say I'm disappointed at all in its performance there.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Inever could get light gun games to work on flat 110" 4:3 screen Stewart Studiotech 130 screen I have here.

CRT.

HD done right!
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures, please!
View user's photo album (25 photos)
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the screen itself. I'm still working on adjusting the setup. I'm thinking it might be a better idea to set the angle off, so that the hot spots are off the top of the screen. That gives uneven brightness from top to bottom, but I think that might be less annoying for me to deal with.

tmp-cam-2307826563821248233.jpg
 Description:
Mocom MD-92
 Filesize:  90.55 KB
 Viewed:  12437 Time(s)

tmp-cam-2307826563821248233.jpg

jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Mocom had asked for my feedback, and I had told them about the hot-spotting. They did tell me that if I was using a projector with a longer throw (about 6 feet further back than mine are) they would expect the hot spotting to no longer be noticeable. So that would place the projector in about the same spot as the recommended viewing distance at around 14 feet.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can try putting the projector on a cart over your chair. That may minimize the hot spoting.

CRT.

HD done right!
jmetal88

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
If you can try putting the projector on a cart over your chair. That may minimize the hot spoting.

That may have to wait until I get a new projector. I don't really feel inclined to move the Sony off the ceiling unless I have a really, really good reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: