Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Visual Apex Screens?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Visual Apex Screens? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Good evening all,

So I bought a Silver Ticket 1.3 gain screen about seven months ago. And as of today, I'm requesting that they give me a refund. The first screen I bought from them fell apart after six months. The next screen had visual anomalies so they sent me yet another screen, and this one also has those same anomalies but on a different area in the screen. So - I've just sent another email off to them requesting a refund this time.

So... Has anyone here used Visual Apex screens? I'm a little interested because it appears they have a 3 year warranty, asides from Silver Ticket's 1 year warranty, and they've gotten good reviews (especially from owners who have had their screens for years now), so I was wondering if someone here could shed some light. I would be getting the 92 inch edition if I got one, because my viewing environment doesn't allow me to go bigger.

Not that I would want to anyways - I have a Yamaha DPX-1200, and while I wouldn't say that it's a dim projector, it's definitely not a light cannon. And 720p at over 92 inches probably doesn't look all that flattering. Very Happy

In Silver Ticket's defense, they have amazing customer support. It's against their policy to offer refunds, but I'm hoping that they'll agree with me that being 0 for 3 screens is enough to warrant a refund and me going elsewhere, because at this point I will not accept another screen. Their 1.3 gain screen was also a bit of a "premium" and what looks like to be a limited run, so who knows - maybe their other screens are decent.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're expecting premium results out of cut rate brands?

Sounds to me like you want a really good screen so you should bite the bullet and get a Stewart or other highly reputable brand name and be done with it.

The bitter taste of low quality lingers long after the sweet smell of low price is long gone.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
So you're expecting premium results out of cut rate brands?

Sounds to me like you want a really good screen so you should bite the bullet and get a Stewart or other highly reputable brand name and be done with it.

The bitter taste of low quality lingers long after the sweet smell of low price is long gone.

Maybe. All I know is that the screen I built myself didn't have those issues and it was much cheaper to build. I suppose I could simply build a bigger screen and ditch the manufactured stuff if I don't want to spend a ton of money.

Your post is informative though and is one of a few now which are adding up to the same story:

Home theater - if you want it done right - is expensive.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, DIY is a great way to go if you're getting quality screen material.

I still run a 20 dollar screen. A full sheet of masonite hardboard painted, via sprayer, with Behr ultra flat ultra white latex.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's too bad I don't have time at the moment to research another screen or build one. Life's a little chaotic at the moment. In all fairness, Silver Ticket has received very good reviews from many people who are happy with their screens. I wasn't exactly expecting premium quality (I mentioned "premium" in attempt to convey the 1.3 gain screen's limited nature - not its quality - so my bad on the miscommunication).

The problem is that most of the reviews (professional and user) were done on the 1.1 gain screen and not the 1.3. Oh well - whatever. Lessons learned and all...

Like I said earlier - they ALWAYS did their best to take care of me. And at least that counts for something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: