Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

A warning to others!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
gregstv wrote:
From what I have read and understand Mike is doing these at hobby level now, not to make money. He needs to prioritise making a living and get to the hobby stuff when he can.
I have been modding my 1292 for 6 months now. Everytime I try and get back to it something gets in the way. I expected to have it done in a month.
If you want Mike to do upgrades for you I suggest you find a spare set of boards to keep you running. Time gets away but making a living and keeping food on the table is priority for everyone.
Perfection takes time and RF is black magic. What works on one board may not work on another. Trial and error at hobby level takes many hours.
Consider what level of results you want. A quick half a job or the slow time consuming perfection outcome.
This is just my two bobs worth as having played with mods and have a bit of an idea of how time gets away.

I am trying to get MP to add barbecuing as a hobby. Mr. Green
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Sorry Mike, couldn't take your call yesterday, was in an install. I'm not getting involved in this whatsoever, other than to say that you need to send MAK back a working set of boards, which is what he sent in. If you want, you can buy a stock set of working boards and a LVPS off me for little more than the cost of shipping, and I'll send them down to him. Should be under $50 for shipping to Illinois.

Reason for this:

"Mike,

I sent you a text asking for you to NOT complete the mods on the LVPS. I am also asking you to send the VIM and Moome card, LVPS and neck cards back to me immediately. You are to stop all work on anything related to our agreement. Please let me know when I can expect the shipment of boards and power supply I own.

Sincerely,

Mark Kowalczyk"

Curt, thanks for that generous (and free) offert. He sent me a set of modified boards that I did for him sometime ago, and I'm getting them ready to send back to him. They will be a fully working set, as you also agree on this.

I'm carefully checking and testing each neck board, as I've already did the same with the Moome and VIM. So far, I can tell you this is a very good video chain and 100% working. I'll be spending more time on the last neck board, but don't think I'll wrap things up today, because we have to leave out in a few as things come up we have no control over. But that would make tomorrow more likely for sure.

So far, these board are checking out well and their performance is far better than expected - Tomorrow! I don't rush things anymore.

---------------------------------

The pictures below are from the LVPS. The top section (where the AC plug goes in) wasn't that bad, though the screws and other areas will still reveal the moisture problem, because I haven't done that part of the supply yet. The lower section, where the fans connect and are mounted. Has already been cleaned and treated. It's hard to tell from the picture of the lower board, but I've done well removing the oxidation from the component leads..Mr. Green

Last edited by mp20748 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:

I am trying to get MP to add barbecuing as a hobby. Mr. Green

I'm on board with this..Thumbs Up

That was a great lesson and commentary on the fine art of slow cooking meat (outside). Been looking at videos and getting excited about this - thanks big time!
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Parker <mpa6641228@aol.com>

Jul 19 at 6:24 PM

ToMark

Message body

Sorry, but I am required to return them as I've already indicated. And I'm also supposed to restore them to where they were before.

You don't get to call this one

Sent from my iPhone

You're fired chump. I own the boards and want them back immediately. liar. What gives you the right to tell me what happens to my boards? I don't want your work applied with a $hit job in the first place.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no lawyer but if Mike returns the boards to you in working condition, I'm pretty sure that it puts him in a better legal position for his defense if things move in that direction. I can hardly blame him for wishing to minimize potential issues going forward.

If you don't want my non-expert legal opinion, well, you made the choice to publicize this situation on a public forum and any member here is free to make comments. You must accept the consequences of that choice.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 15, 2017, at 11:17 AM,
Mark
> <racerxnet2000@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Your reply suggests that
after
> sending you all the parts needed
for the mod, is that after
> 3.5 months, you are just now
working on the power supply. To
> say that I am unhappy about the
circumstances is putting it
> mildly. I specifically asked how
long it would take, and
> your reply was about 1 week. I
have the email stating this.
> The audio room looks like crap
with a pile of wires hanging
> out of the projector.
>>
>> I am truly serious that you
can
> send everything back to me in its
present state. It does not
> matter if completed or not at this
point.
"The other boards
> are basically done" means that
they are NOT finished yet.
> The rust on the screws is a ploy
to add more time to this
> abomination. Seriously, 3.5 months
and this what people get.
> I am moving in another direction
with this to get it
> completed in a TIMELY manner.
Otherwise I have a f*cking

> boat anchor hanging on the floor
joists.
>>
>> You don't have to worry about
your
> reputation, I will not say a word
about this situation.

>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Mark Kowalczyk
>>
>
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> From: Mark <racerxnet2000@yahoo.com>
>
> To: Mike Parker <mpa6641228@aol.com>
>
> Sent: Wed, Jul 12, 2017 4:03 pm
>
> Subject: Re: Boards
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Mike,
>
>
>
>
>
> You
> don't have to rush to complete the
boards/power supply.
> Just send everything back as
asked.
>
>
>

>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
>
>
> Mark
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> From: Mike Parker
> <mpa6641228@aol.com>
> To: Mark <racerxnet2000@yahoo.com>
>
> Sent: Saturday, July 8,
> 2017 4:56 PM

>
>
>
>
> Ok,
> I'll get things ready for Tuesday
ship. I'll get
> back you by Monday
>

> Sent
> from my iPhone
>
>
>> On Jul 8, 2017, at 12:48 PM,
Mark <racerxnet2000@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I have 7 days off
> after this Wednesday and hope to
see the projector up and
> running.
>>
>>
> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark
>>

>
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:04 AM
Mark as Unread

"Mike Parker" <mpa6641228@aol.com>
To:
"Mark" <racerxnet2000@yahoo.com>

Raw Message Printable View
Send me your address. I might be able to get these out today. On one of the neck boards it has "poor focus" I've not check this particular board yet, was this a problem with this board, or was that one of the problems you mentioned before you dialed your focus in better

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Shipping date Mike,
Tracking number Mike,
Post it here for all to see!

Another lame promise to send something and the day passes by.
The poor focus was mentioned to you and I have the email. How about that blooming that was mentioned over 50 contrast? So Mike, You are aware that the Complete integration of your work was bad. You can post all the pictures you want to, but it is NO guarantee that the mods will function as mentioned. For now they are just pictures. Where is the QC on your mods when I have to send the neck card back for a part that falls off. then you mention that, YES there is a problem with your work.

Of course your going to say "I might be able to get these out today. It's your standard excuse you always stick to.

tick, tick, tick ,tick,tick.

MAK
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent: Saturday, July 8,
> 2017 4:56 PM
>
>
>
>
> Ok,
> I'll get things ready for Tuesday
ship.
I'll get
> back you by Monday
>
> Sent
> from my iPhone
>
>
>> On Jul 8, 2017, at 12:48 PM,
Mark <racerxnet2000@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I have 7 days off
> after this Wednesday and hope to
see the projector up and
> running.
>>
>>
> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark

Note the date of July 8th that you will ship the boards.

Where are they? How about the initial post where you state the boards should be done in 3 days to a week, with me explicitly asking this so that the projector assembly could be put back together. Let see here on the email exchange.

To: Mark <racerxnet2000@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: Board upgrade

Yes, the vim as well. It should take a few days turnaround, but I would say a week to make sure. The LVSP is a must to do with this upgrade

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 30, 2017, at 9:41 AM, Mark <racerxnet2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I would like to know what the turn around time for the board upgrade will be. Please be specific so I know and can plan accordingly for the downtime.
I bought 3 new tubes (LCP09s) and magnetics from Tim. I'd like to send you the LVPS for the upgrade. Will you need the VIM also? I see you sold Wolfman your latest mods and I hope he can do better than what has been seen so far.
>
> Rebuild consists of:
>
> New tubes and magnetics.
> Colored C elements
> GT-17 lenses
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Was the 7 days off something that you took advantage of because I was going to be off? Is the word "hope after 3 months a easy out so you could delay the time frame once again? We know you cannot stick to your word when promised.

MAK
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, enough! You've made your point, Mike knows what he needs to do. Leave it alone for now, one or both of you post once the boards have been shipped back to the owner.
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
Mike,

Was the 7 days off something that you took advantage of because I was going to be off? Is the word "hope after 3 months a easy out so you could delay the time frame once again? We know you cannot stick to your word when promised.

MAK

No promise was made when you mentioned being off for 7 days. I used the word "Hop to have them ready". The dictionary doesn't list the word hope as a promise.

I had forgot all about the boards being in my possession really but did reach back out to you a few times since having them with zero urgency expressed from you until this month. But did start on them like I said back then, with you only mentioning them once since may (August 2). And that's was when you mentioned being off for 7 days about two weeks ago. You were very patient to wait for those months, but couldn't wait a few days more while I took care of your contaminated LVPS..Rolling Eyes

Oh and your wait period is not unusual, and in the over 16 year of doing these mods. Waiting as indicated by me and others here was more of the norm, as why I'm sure you were so patient. Because it is and has always been well known you could wait some time... and with these being previously modified boards, you already know this. To include, as much as your new sidekick has been ranting non-stop the past year, how did you not know about a possible wait.

Anyway, the wait from when you demanded and insisted that I cease anymore work on your boards and send them back to you required that I reverse the process before sending them back to you. Well, that required as I told you that I would have a "lot of un-doing to do" to get the boards ready to return to you, because I would as Ive also said to you, restore them. And again, that is why as posted I said this "I'm also supposed to restore them to where they were before"

And that is why they could not immediately be sent back you you as they were when you issued the order. And Curt confirmed as others that making sure they would be working should be the case and that's also what I'm doing now. I just want you to know, your request required more time to restore them than it would have cost in time to finish them, since they were nearly done.

And in it all, I was doing what you told me to do, other than forgetting I had them initially and wanting to fix that terrible contaminated LVPS after discovering that dreaded problem, that was not a part of the deal. Admit tingly, I did drop the ball right after getting them and not finishing them as a said I would. But again, that has been my record going back almost 20 years, with the later of these years having more challenges for me. And that is why I've been mentioning NO new customers, only will be supporting previous this year.

The record is clear, I did what you asked me to do as shown in the emails. Part of it just took some time, as is and have been the case with me. And I found searching the internet, that I'm not the only proprietary individual that offered specialized work also taking time to finish something. Seem like the a lot have the same problem I have. And they all have a few complaining, but many others waiting still, because they know they're not dealing with a big operation, but an individual that also does this work as a hobby, and at no cost to you.

Man those guys that do turntables and other audio stuff have people standing in line. I'm still in the hobby, but out of any sales or taking on new customers.
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt asked us to shut up, and provide a shipping date, tracking number, and send them on the way. Got it! They are considered stolen goods right now.

MAK
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerxnet wrote:
They are considered stolen goods right now.

MAK

Well, since the boards are stolen, I thought I would post some evidence so you can get law enforcement involved..Laughing

I was wanting to send these out today, but chose this morning to keep them over the weekend to make sure they're tight. I know this may go against getting them out sooner, but this morning seems like a rush to me and I'd like to do a quick color balance and watch a few movies over the weekend as a further test..Very Happy

The shots below does show the set working, but I'd like to go a little further and really match this set up like I do my very latest and see what happens. And then movies, Netflix, and Barbecue. This board set is special and are handling my LUG's well after getting them all back together, considering the actual upgrade was aborted. The shots below only show them working. I'll post some later tonight and we'll get a better look at them on the shots.

mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend has been both busy and relaxing. Didn't get to watch a movie, but did get back to the boards for a few minutes and will box them up later today, because I'm more than pleased with them.

Be mindful, unlike others, the use of sharpness, Darby or any other enhancement is not happening here. This is straight from the Blu Ray player direct to the Moome "Direct" without any changes to the source. And my setup still needs both focus and convergence done better, yet on screen it still looks good.

A few quick shots taking...

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't confuse his boards with mine MP *wink*
mp20748

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked ..... hmm.... no it was his boards for sure that was shipped.. Mr. Green
racerxnet

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waited for Mike to step up to the plate while all the sh*t was flying around about the quality of his shots/mods. Nobody heard of Kurt 5 years ago and it is hard to find credibility with the way he responds. Because of that he makes it harder for people to "lean into him" for advice. Instead they turn away. I did not need any coaching from people when making my decision to move in another direction. I have been in the printing industry for over 35 years and know what I am looking for in reproduction. After all, I am a professional in this realm and do it every day for fortune 100 companies.

Tools of my trade: AVT/GMI ColorQuick/Clarios from Advanced Vision Technology Inc. (AVT)
http://files.idealliance.org/G7/PressOpGuide/Sheetfed_Offset/G7_Press_Guide.pdf
Fingerprinting a press: http://spectragraphic.com/pdfs/Fingerprint.pdf
Goss Sunday 2000 printing press: https://www.gossinternational.com/printing-presses/commercial-presses/sunday-2000-web-offset-press-system/

From a scientific approach which I use during the print process, Mike showed no way to ascertain what was going on with his mods. Mike does not have a meter to calibrate the projector, always has black crush, inconsistent colors, and no standardized process for the reproduction chain. With all that said, he cannot show any improvement he claims. The shots look smeared, lack detail in highlighted areas, and colors blown out of proportion towards Red or Blue, depending on the day. Gray scale tracking is horrible and he does not know how to fix it with the proper tools. How do we all know this, because Mike never has shown a calibration report and the screen shots show what I am saying.

Watching all this play out with the screen shots started to inform me that Mike was not the person to rely on for consistent results. The pattern was to deflect the helpful suggestions by others and babble on about how good they looked. Bad glycol, poor focus, wrong tubes, and on and on it goes. What really showed how far off Mikes shots are was when Kurt and Greg posted shots of their calibrated projector. While all this was happening we had another player come on board with some truly innovative solutions vs the MP mods. The mod's supplied to me were poorly implemented with blooming over 50 contrast, a bad neck card, extremely poor customer service based on the "free" mod, and excuses that nobody should have to endure when promises are broken. His screen shots tell 1000 poor words. Do you think that these are something to show how good his work is? How come nobody has shown his work with a calibrated projector and light output?

Hope that was informative enough.

Mark
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to get into the middle of this but I am going to say that while I have seen compelling proof that in SOME cases, blooming is directly related to the performance of a neck card, when it comes to the Marquee it always will have some bloom at higher contrast levels due to the inadequate focus yokes that Electrohome continued to use even after switching away from Thomson CRTs (which the yokes were designed for) to Panasonic CRTs. (Which the yokes were NOT designed for.) That decision was taken for cost/benefit reasons. The projector still met customer's specs with the Thomson yoke installed, so thus, no reason to change it.)

Much as I like the Marquee 9" chassis, it is at a disadvantage for focus performance when compared to, at the very least, a G90 and a Barco 909 and maybe the same can be said for the 8" machines as well.

Additionally, the G90 and the 909 both feature electronic beam shaping systems that the Marquee lacks, and while something can be done about the focus yoke on the Marquee, there is nothing to be done to add the electronic 4 and 6 pole CPC ring capacity to it which the G90 features. I know the 909 also offers additional beam control systems but since I'm not personally experienced with them there's not much I can say about them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: