Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G90, green channel has noisy background and spot kill fail
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I know I made photos of all those tubes in that lot. I stripped out, I think it was three, 808s at the local recycler's.

But it was so long ago, why even bring it up? There's just no point to even doing it. It's history, water under the bridge,
and whatever you paid, I refunded without giving you any grief about it.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I know I made photos of all those tubes in that lot.

Then you're confused. You said in your original for-sale post (which I quoted) that you did not. You're contradicting yourself.

Quote:
But it was so long ago, why even bring it up?

Buyer beware.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a long time ago. I seem to remember that I made photos of those tubes but I know that if I did, the computer that they were uploaded to no longer exists so there's no way for me to dig them up or prove it and it doesn't matter anyway.

Kal, my brother got divorced because his ex-wife had the nastiest habit of throwing past sins into today's fight and you are doing exactly the same thing. It's absurd, and it's reprehensible conduct which stinks of passive-aggressiveness.

While I tend to trust your judgement in some areas, the truth is that you have some really and truly NASTY aspects to your personality and I'm very much aware of them.

Oh, as for additional context regarding my integrity as a businessman of sorts, I will refer you to my ebay record:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/quantummechanic

Yes, that's me. Feedback score of 718, 100 percent positive. Member since 1999.

I'm not perfect, no argument there, but I stand behind what I sell and if there IS a problem, I make it right,
without turning into a whiny B#### about it.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything is perfect, then you have nothing to worry about. Good luck selling stuff.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My total sales over the years is in six figures, but my profit margin is considerably less although certainly not zero.

It's been a good supplement to my income. And at times, my only income.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tentatively diagnosed this weird tube's condition as having abnormally high gain and sensitivity. If that is the case, then its gain should naturally reduce as the tube gets some hours on it.
the dude

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem on a pt22. It is caused by cathode material that is disposed over the time in the very tiny gap between the cathode and the G1 grid. This can cause a very high impedance short that "steals" away some amount of the cathode current so the ABL current sense circuit get fooled and turns G2 a bit to high. I don't have a explaination of flicker and noise, but i guess the short behaves in a some non linear manner.

I also had succuess repairing this on one tube using a electroshocker with 50kv output. I connected it to cathode and g1 and *shortly* "shocked" the tube. I saw little sparks in the vacuum, looked quite funny. No guarantee of course, i would not try this on a working one. For me it worked perfectly. There are professional crt service devices out there that can also remove shorts.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've used a Sencore CRT restorer before. Sometimes they can fix a tube. But sometimes they can make a weak tube weaker.

What i'm going to do with this one is to run it all by itself with some video content for a while and see what happens.

If I'm right and it's just got more gain than normal, it should "quiet down" after being run for some undefined length of time.

I've got it installed in one of my G90s and I'll just run it with red and blue cut off. Give it a few days of operation and see what happens next.

I'm not sure if I want to risk the shock treatment. That's pretty much a flip of the coin. You either get a fixed tube or it ends up REALLY broken when it's usable in its current state. OK, maybe a bit noisy, but not enough to really notice on the screen.

After maybe a week of just being run as a normal tube, maybe it'll be better? No way to know but to try.
the dude

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, when i had this problem it got worse and worse over time until green flickering lines became visible in dark scenes. Don't expect the disposits simply go away, the cathode will emmit even more material. But maybe some carefully knocking on the tubes neck may help.

I don't know this tube restorer, but if it just tries to blow away the oxide to reactivate the cathode this may work or not for a weak one, as you said. But blowing out shorts is a different task, the Müter crt service devices can do this as well.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Yeah, I've used a Sencore CRT restorer before. Sometimes they can fix a tube. But sometimes they can make a weak tube weaker.

What i'm going to do with this one is to run it all by itself with some video content for a while and see what happens.

If I'm right and it's just got more gain than normal, it should "quiet down" after being run for some undefined length of time.

I've got it installed in one of my G90s and I'll just run it with red and blue cut off. Give it a few days of operation and see what happens next.

I'm not sure if I want to risk the shock treatment. That's pretty much a flip of the coin. You either get a fixed tube or it ends up REALLY broken when it's usable in its current state. OK, maybe a bit noisy, but not enough to really notice on the screen.

After maybe a week of just being run as a normal tube, maybe it'll be better? No way to know but to try.

That's why you always start small and move up. The CR-7000 (Sencore's last model) has a very gentle mode called Reactivate, that is supposed to simulate what happens on the assembly line with activating a CRT. And then the other modes get more intense going up.

Actually - I've had good success with an old Beltron restorer that I have. You have to all but completely ignore the instructions though, as they're written for older, less fragile tubes. I killed a 32 inch Sony by following the instructions. I restored a 36 inch Sony by lowering the voltage like crazy and then performing a "clean" on it. Minimally. And then - the TV worked! Very Happy

Instructions tell you to start the cleaning mode at 10 volts. I started at the bottom - 2 volts I think, and then increased the voltage a little bit until I saw some cleaning activity (the lights flicker when they're cleaning crud - so the manual says). Once I started seeing flickering I had it at 4 volts or something and I let off. I then checked the emissions of the tube again, and I saw that all guns' needles swung smoothly up to good emission levels, whereas before the cleaning, the needles jumped around until green didn't even make it to good emissions. The manual didn't say, but I assume the current in cleaning mode was higher than just the normal emissions reading, because you have to set the voltage to 6.3 volts on the Sony's before they even responded.

If you're going to attempt a restore - start at minimum and check. If your tube starts tracking good after a re-activate then quit while you're ahead. If two points is all you need to win the game, don't get greedy and go for the three.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I've never had any success rejuvenating CRT projection tubes. I too have the Sencore 7000, made a custom CRT socket for the tubes, but never got anywhere with them. Regular CRT TV tubes, no problem!
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
For the record, I've never had any success rejuvenating CRT projection tubes. I too have the Sencore 7000, made a custom CRT socket for the tubes, but never got anywhere with them. Regular CRT TV tubes, no problem!

I suspect as much. I want a CR-7000 SOOO bad. Very Happy But for now the Beltron works for my needs. Thankfully it's fully analog so that I can dial it as much as I want.

EDIT: Reading comprehension FAIL on my part. Still want one though. What happened to the CRT projection tubes when you tried to restore them? Did the rejuvenator give them too much juice?
the dude

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projection tubes have very small spot size AND high current. I think due to this its not possible to reactivate them. Restorers overheat the cathode and apply very high currents in order to blow away inactive material and to uncover unused cathode material. In the beginning of TV restoration was easy, then with "modern" oxide cathodes it got tricky, and with projection tubes it is allmost impossible.

I also believe that most tubes die because of worn phosphor, not cathodes. If a tube dies of worn cathode it may be due to incorrect heating voltage. But removing shorts using a restorer that is able to do this may work well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: