Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony G90 will not power on was working fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Sony G90 will not power on was working fine. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just went to power up my G90 to make sure it was ready to do some Crestron programming of my other equipment and no power nothing its completely dead I checked the 2 fuses by the power cord entrance they seem fine the outlet in the ceiling has 120 volts and operates my drill. I have it unplugged currently anyone have any ideas? It worked Ok last week.

Regards Bob
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to contact either Curt Palme (our benefactor) via PM, or alternatively, contact Craig Rounds (www.cir-engineering.com) for assistance.

Both are highly experienced G90 techs who will be able to assist you.

I know something of the G90 but not enough to be of much help to you at this time.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the set came from me originally.

Chris, could you post a pix of where the two LV power supplies are located? I need Bob to send me those along with the YA and RGB boards I sent him. I am in and out of town for the next couple of weeks, and won't have a chance to send him pix of the location of those two LVPS. I suspect a bad solder joint on them, but need to test them here before confirming that..
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to do that, if you'd refresh my memory on their location. A verbal description is all I need.

I've never had a power supply issue with any of my units yet so I've never messed with them.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they don't fail too often, that's for sure.

They are under the top cover, then under the metal cover that is under the rear of the back cover. Take off a few Philips screws, and there's two boards that slide out, and the wires disconnect. Both of those are the LVPS.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it.

Pics to come in a little bit...
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics: You're looking for the GA and GB boards.

These four pics are step-by-step to get access to them.

Remove the top cover.

Remove the rear plastic cover by releasing the 2 black captive screws. No need to completely remove the screws, just loosen them until they are free of the metal underneath.

Remove the 11 screws that attaches the upper shield that is now exposed. Remove the shield

Remove the six screws that attach the power supply bay vented shield. Note that two screws are different from the others, they
are longer and black. Note where they go, they have to go back to their original locations.

Remove the shield, and the GA and GB boards slide out, you have to remove the connectors as you go.

DSC_1630.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.64 KB
 Viewed:  7596 Time(s)

DSC_1630.JPG

DSC_1631.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.44 KB

DSC_1631.JPG

DSC_1632.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  189.3 KB

DSC_1632.JPG

DSC_1633.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.35 KB

DSC_1633.JPG

cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, check for tube damage. I think the unit won't power up if it has a broken tube. Unfortunately, G90s have a little bit of a
reputation for breaking tubes. Not really often, but what is unheard of in Marquees and Barcos is not all that rare in G90s.
rjnsales

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I look for in regards to the broken tube. Will it be obvious? will I find broken glass a hazy tube face? I have never experienced this so not sure how to proceed. It has been sitting with no use for several days would tube break after shutdown from last use ?? The unit has been stationary mounted to ceiling with no bumps or movement since last used.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a tube breaks, you should see evidence of it when you look in the lenses. Or, remove the top cover and open the lid underneath (one screw and two latches on the sides) and if part of the tube falls out, that could be a broken tube. Very Happy

It's not LIKELY, but it's POSSIBLE, and easy to check for.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
If a tube breaks, you should see evidence of it when you look in the lenses. Or, remove the top cover and open the lid underneath (one screw and two latches on the sides) and if part of the tube falls out, that could be a broken tube. Very Happy

It's not LIKELY, but it's POSSIBLE, and easy to check for.

How about a tube short?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say "break", as in tube implosion or envelope failure. Curt has seen that a few times on G90s, and the first G90 I bought
had a broken blue tube in this manner.

To check for a tube short, disconnect the neck card. The PJ will run with that disconnected if it's a short in the electron gun assembly.

To check for an anode to ground short, disconnect the anode lead at the splitter block. (Push hard, turn 90 degrees, pull the red cable out of the block. Unit OFF!!! while doing this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: