Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

JVC DLA-RS1 dead after power surge

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBlonde83

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: JVC DLA-RS1 dead after power surge Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I power the projector on and the red warning light comes on and stays on. I'm hoping its a fuse. I contacted a repair guy on Craigslist. Its about an hours drive for me and he wants $20 to look at it and see if its "worth repairing" the power supply. It would be nice if he told me what was wrong (if its not a fuse) so I could attempt to replace the damaged part myself.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not an experienced electronic technician, attempting to repair it yourself could be very frustrating and unsuccessful.
They are NOT simple devices that are easily repaired by non-technicians.

As the warning label says, "WARNING: NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE. Refer servicing to a qualified technician."
MrBlonde83

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand that. I was an electronics student... Got a B in AC and DC circuits but Electronic circuits (analyzing amplifiers etc) was a lot harder!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, $20 to look at something is pretty cheap. When someone asks me to tell them what the problem is down to a component level, I tell them that's how I make my living, and no, that advice isn't free.

What I would qualify though is that the 'tech' has actually worked on JVC projectors before. Nothing like not knowing anything about the unit, popping the cover off, looking in, then saying 'nope, I can't fix that, that's $20 please.". Smile

Assuming a PC board problem that needs components replaced, I'd guesstimate more like $200-500 being a 'reasonable' repair charge given the complexity of the unit.

I have not worked on a JVC, but do Sony Qualia repairs all the time.
MrBlonde83

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no! I'd give him $20 no problem! I KNOW that is cheap! Smile I don't even know why I posted this. I'm not the brightest light on the tree!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all good, but definitely qualify that the tech is capable of working on that machine....
MrBlonde83

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he can fix it. I love that projector. Such a shame after that happened. I like the manual zoom/focus. less to break down.
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the tech if he understands the switching power supplies used in those projectors and can repair at component level, because that $20.00 rate makes me think he'll be checking to see if the fuse is blown only. and that may be as far as he's willing/able to go.

Component level tech these days are far and few, and are not likely asking $20.00 for an evaluation fee.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike said it better than I did. If by chance he can't fix it, I might be interested in taking a peek at it.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While fuses in devices can sometimes just pop because they're defective or whatever, normally when a fuse goes it's because of something downstream has failed and is pulling too much current. The fuse is there to protect the wiring and components from overdrawing. So all that to say, you're rarely just changing a fuse and moving on because on a projector like this it's not as if the user can do something to make the unit overdraw on current forcing the fuse to pop (like you can with a wall outlet).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuses are safety devices. When they blow. usually something downstream has already failed and the fuse is there to prevent a FIRE.

I would think money spent to repair that projector would be better used to get something more up to date and better performing.
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
I would think money spent to repair that projector would be better used to get something more up to date and better performing.

If you give a mouse a cookie Smile

If you are thinking of going this route it might be worth opening it up and get your multi-meter out to probe for a short on the power supply. It shouldn't affect resale value if your going to try and sell it for "parts" or "as is" to recover some money.

Thats just me though. I love tearing into things knowing that there is no way it will ever work again just to see how things work.

This thread might be useful

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1446694-no-power-jvc-rs1.html
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it WOULD affect the resale value. It falls right in line with the 'it's a simple fix' line that I see all the time on CL and eBay. if a rookie opened a piece of equipment without knowing what he was doing, I either pass, or offer parts value only. Heck, now that I'm heavily into reel to reel repairs, which are the opposite of high end technology in tiny spaces, if a customer brings in a deck and says that he changed a bunch of parts, and it still doesn't work, I politely decline working on them. Most people understand, but one in 100 gets super pissy with me, saying I am an amateur, and all I need to do is 'reconnect these few wires that I disconnected' . Wink
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Actually, it WOULD affect the resale value. It falls right in line with the 'it's a simple fix' line that I see all the time on CL and eBay. if a rookie opened a piece of equipment without knowing what he was doing, I either pass, or offer parts value only. Heck, now that I'm heavily into reel to reel repairs, which are the opposite of high end technology in tiny spaces, if a customer brings in a deck and says that he changed a bunch of parts, and it still doesn't work, I politely decline working on them. Most people understand, but one in 100 gets super pissy with me, saying I am an amateur, and all I need to do is 'reconnect these few wires that I disconnected' . Wink

Lol, yeah I don't make a living with electronic repair so I'm a little clueless when it comes to the business side. Ok, a lot clueless. I just know if I was buying something as long as the price is right I wouldn't care if it was opened before or not.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crtbilly wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

Lol, yeah I don't make a living with electronic repair so I'm a little clueless when it comes to the business side. Ok, a lot clueless. I just know if I was buying something as long as the price is right I wouldn't care if it was opened before or not.

Or like buying an NEC PG series where someone went in and "turned the pots" trying to make it work again. Shocked

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
crtbilly

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
crtbilly wrote:
Curt Palme wrote:

Or like buying an NEC PG series where someone went in and "turned the pots" trying to make it work again. Shocked

Pot! Who said anything about pot.
jbltecnicspro

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Are you suggesting that time is money? Very Happy
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to say it, but I'm willing to bet Curt is right, and it's more serious than a fuse... In fact, it isn't a fuse, because if it was, you wouldn't even get the warning LED.

For what it will cost to repair the projector, you could easily buy another RS1 on ebay for $300-$500 if you patiently wait a couple weeks. They pop on ebay all the time dirt cheap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: